THE BROWNS BOARD

* * * Official Raiders @ Browns Game Day Thread * * *

JAFBF

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mariota has the lead over Indy, Brandon Weeden has the lead over Atlanta, Put Manziel in the game before the season is lost.

Might not be the best comparison. Dallas just lost their lead while Weeden, even with a solid O-line and strong support from the running game, is 17/20 for 202 yards, 0 TD, and 1 INT.

McCowen can't reliably hit his receivers in stride so far, and whether that failure is an after-effect of the concussion/week off or just McCowen's ability/fit, the Browns can't win with that level of play. Not sure JF would be much better, though, when things are already going so poorly. I get the whole "let Johnny learn/let the Browns see if he can develop" idea, but coming in down so much isn't going to do Manziel any favors, especially if he tries to force things and loses fumbles or tosses interceptions. If McCowen shows nothing productive the rest of this game, Pettine should definitely consider starting Manziel next game.

Edit: Sorry for delayed reply, got busy with something else. But it doesn't sound like things have much improved for McCowen in that time span.

Maybe McCown is going to make us eat our words....

If he does, it might indicate he has finally gotten back in synch with the offense. Either way, getting some energy and positive momentum can only be a good thing, whoever is behind the center. McCowen will get another chance after the defense forced a three and out. Now we can see what McCowen can deliver in the clutch. Nevermind. Fumble.

The BROWNS need to pick one QB and let him ride. The fiasco last year was bullshit. HAVE FAITH IN YOUR QB. McCown had a horrible first half but he showed some really good gusto in the 2nd half.

Once they get one I'll agree. I think you go Manziel for the rest of the year and see if he is good enough, if not move on. Mccown hasn't done anything to lose the job but this is a 4-12 team with or without him.

If Josh could've put another 2 yards on that sideline pass to Benji, I believe he would've scored.

I also think that Johnny could've made that throw, and I'm not a Johnny fan.

It's time to start the kid and see what we have (or don't have) in our QB.

The real beauty of it is that McCown played well enough so that there is no way you can make the switch now, but the Browns lost anyway. Meanwhile, the guy you spent a first round pick on watches and will watch again next week. That's the risk.

If McCown uses this to springboard to a good season, everything is great. If not, everybody can kind of scratch their heads at draft time next year and wonder what to do.

I must have watched a different game. McCown under threw, threw behind, missed open receivers so many times. He sucked, imho.

And that would be worse than what we're seeing now??

This game was terrible.

Now McCown will have a chance to pad the stats a little with the Raiders nursing a 3 score lead. Pettine can come out in the PC and talk about what solid play he got from the veteran QB and how there is no need to alter the plan.

Nice garbage time stats. Underthown int. the guy isn't accurate, even with zero pressure.

I'm so glad I didn't renew my season tickets

I'm thinking the same next year. They can ride McClown to 2-14. With the running game not working- Josh is worse than worthless.

I'm only looking at the stats. Until the last INT, they were average for McCown. I don''t know that Manziel could have duplicated it on 40+ throws (though we don't really know, since they only let him throw it 15 times last week). It certainly wasn't lights out by any means, and the yds/att (~7.1) was just about the mean. It certainly wasn't a terrible performance, maybe slightly sub-par.

But, it doesn't matter. I predict Pettine will praise the veteran QB play, point out that, though it needs to improve, they are on the right track, and McCown will be under center on the first play next week. The idea of Manziel scampering around chucking unscripted bombs scares him worse than it does the opposing DCs...

The problem is Johnny hasn't proven much better. He has completed two bombs to Travis Benjamin but other than that he has been a fumbling, incompletion, interception losing machine.

Archived