THE BROWNS BOARD

Im glad I changed my attitude

thenew23

Hi all. It has truly been a pleasure to be a member on this board and to have heard all the crazy Browns fan talk over the past 10+ years I've been checking out and commenting on this site (under 3 different SNs)

I have read the arguments, comments, squabbles, sarcasm, hope, disappointment, anger, frustration, etc... with great joy... until recently...

Here is what I have to say...

The day the Browns signed Josh McCown, I basically threw my hands up and said "That's it... I cannot be excited about this team." I have spent the majority of my posts defending the Browns decisions, trying to offer hope for the future, and doing my best to look at the bright side of 16 years of losing. It's not because McCown is a terrible player, it was simply a move that made me pause, take a deep breath, and assume this team won't be good for another 5 years... It seemed like a move out of desperation...

Having done that, I am actually enjoying my Sundays much more. I watch the Browns but I have not yelled, drank alcohol, threw anything, or expected anything more than the typical Browns stuff... bad calls, no excitement for games at a time, poor coaching, poor effort, last minute screw ups, etc... (I did catch myself getting excited during the Broncos game, but in my head I knew we wouldn't win)

Be honest with yourself... it's what you all want to do as well.... GIVE UP. I can tell by reading the severely less interesting rants and arguments that have been going on around here since the preseason started. Browns fans have become 1) Doom and gloom - nothing good happens and never will, 2) Angry / Bitter - at the FO, coaching staff, players, media, etc... or 3) I knew I was right along when we hired, drafted, or signed so-and-so...

Yes, we still suck. Nobody likes it, but the law of averages says we should be a decent team at some point in the future. I get frustrated with fans (including this board), the media, or anybody else not being able to 1) put their finger on what is causing / sustaining this much sucking, or 2) has even attempted to offer a suggestion that may make things better. It has simply been constant bitching and complaining...

I have a solution that will make this all better...

STOP EXPECTING TO SEE ANYTHING BETTER

It won't make the Browns better, but it will make your life much more enjoyable... especially on Sundays... Try some fantasy football - either a league or a weekly site. It gives you much more to root for, especially if you are winning $ like I have been. First time in a few years that football season has been fun...

All-in all, I am still a Browns fan, but I have stopped going to games this year (I used to go to 3-4 home games every year), and I have stopped trying to convince my buddies that the Browns are better than they actually are. I do not have to defend this team to anybody... I can simply say "I'm a Browns fan, and yes they suck"

It won't make the Browns better, but it will make your life much more enjoyable... especially on Sundays... Try some fantasy football - either a league or a weekly site. It gives you much more to root for, especially if you are winning $ like I have been. First time in a few years that football season has been fun...

All-in all, I am still a Browns fan, but I have stopped going to games this year (I used to go to 3-4 home games every year), and I have stopped trying to convince my buddies that the Browns are better than they actually are. I do not have to defend this team to anybody... I can simply say "I'm a Browns fan, and yes they suck"

So how do you like your new job at fan duel?

STOP EXPECTING TO SEE ANYTHING BETTER

Well, I spend hours each day trying to keep a semblance of order on this board, and I'm never going to forfeit my season tickets just because the Browns suck. I should mention the guy I hold my season tickets with has started posting his two seats on NFL Ticket exchange- probably the reason I see so many opposing fans down in Section 111 of late.

The reality is we've become like Cubs fans- there's always next year. I just hope it won't take the Browns 108 years to win another Championship.

I have had season tickets since 1999. I hope I never have to give mine up either

But this year, for the first time, I have been selling them. Can't get much for them, but it's better then not going and getting nothing

This almost sounded like an advertisement for fan duel to me ;)

But I expect them to be better every year but them sucking doesn't make my life unenjoyable. I still like tailgating and going to the games, at least when the weather's OK

It's a much more enjoyable Sunday evening and Monday when the Browns win. I'll say this- walking out of the stadium after the Broncos loss- you could just see it in the fans- "oh well, we lost again, we're the Browns- what did you expect?" I wouldn't object to renaming First Energy "Factory of Sadness Field".

hell no! you heretics won't see me complacent! i belong to the unmentioned 4)i see the same ol same ol, but i also see a lot of improvement. i remember 5 years ago when we as fans were absolutely stoked if the team scored even a single td to pair w Dawson's 50 yarders. nowadays, the Browns lose close games. if they get blown out it's a self inflicted loss. even w these no names, if they play mistake free and at their best they can beat any of the other 31 teams in the league on any given Sunday. potential = frustration...i didn't get as upset when we clearly sucked.

the improvement is real.

I fall into this all ... Never in all my years did I ever think the Browns would kill my fandom and inner-fire. It's not something I sought after, it just happened. I use to be a regular on this forum, and still would like to be, but I just can't bring myself to get excited (one-way or another) about this team/franchise anymore. It's like talking about concrete, best mix, best time to pour, amount of time to allow to settle, etc ... in the end it is freaking concrete, not steal and certainly not gold.

I had season tickets since 1999. Started with two seats, then bought two more, then sold two, then bought two more, then consolidated all four by relocating/upgrading my original pair, then gave up two, then ate a few games by not even attending, then let my kids use the seats, then just let'em all go. I don't miss the misery each Sunday. I still tune-in to rubber-neck the train wreck but the losses don't even hurt that much anymore. If I could seek help for my Browns addiction, such as Alcoholic Anonymous for fandom, I'd pay a couple grand to have this franchise removed from my soul. (anyone know of a good Witch doctor, drop me their number)

In the end, the NFL and Browns lose because I'm sure there are thousands dying off each year. I attend many of the big High School games to get my fix, as those kids still play with heart.

I don't question anyone giving up on this franchise, as this franchise is a joke. "Its all about business" they say when they trade a player ... yup, it's too much about busine$$ as to why you're killing off fans.

The NFL wants parity, yet they can't even get that right as there are more undefeated teams at this point in the season than ever before. Meanwhile we can't even finish in the top-half of our division to save our souls, let alone be respectable in the league.

Their loss.

I fall into this all ... Never in all my years did I ever think the Browns would kill my fandom and inner-fire. It's not something I sought after, it just happened. I use to be a regular on this forum, and still would like to be, but I just can't bring myself to get excited (one-way or another) about this team/franchise anymore. It's like talking about concrete, best mix, best time to pour, amount of time to allow to settle, etc ... in the end it is freaking concrete, not steal and certainly not gold.

I had season tickets since 1999. Started with two seats, then bought two more, then sold two, then bought two more, then consolidated all four by relocating/upgrading my original pair, then gave up two, then ate a few games by not even attending, then let my kids use the seats, then just let'em all go. I don't miss the misery each Sunday. I still tune-in to rubber-neck the train wreck but the losses don't even hurt that much anymore. If I could seek help for my Browns addiction, such as Alcoholic Anonymous for fandom, I'd pay a couple grand to have this franchise removed from my soul. (anyone know of a good Witch doctor, drop me their number)

In the end, the NFL and Browns lose because I'm sure there are thousands dying off each year. I attend many of the big High School games to get my fix, as those kids still play with heart.

I don't question anyone giving up on this franchise, as this franchise is a joke. "Its all about business" they say when they trade a player ... yup, it's too much about busine$$ as to why you're killing off fans.

The NFL wants parity, yet they can't even get that right as there are more undefeated teams at this point in the season than ever before. Meanwhile we can't even finish in the top-half of our division to save our souls, let alone be respectable in the league.

Their loss.

Exactly. My brother, a season ticket holder since the old muni days, gave up his tickets last year. Too many years of the same bullshit, same excuses wears thin.

I have read the arguments, comments, squabbles, sarcasm, hope, disappointment, anger, frustration, etc... with great joy... until recently...

Would it help if we brought back Retard?

News, good to here from ya. And no you don't have to work at Fanduel to see the tax slip 3 out of 4 years. Just a couple hours of research per week & few hours off this board, ah News. News since 99 it took me almost 10 years in 2010 that I finally admitted to myself "That my old Browns Left" with the move to Baltimore. Even if the old players wanted to still support this team the front offices from 99 would shut the door in their face (except Jim Brown). Really I do not see anything changing till this changes in ownership or FO. It may seem small but Peyton still ties to Tenn. sidelines. Owners & Gms our found backing their sidelines. This ownership just don't get it. It's the same thing every week. We want our Good Old Browns but the slop we see is not even close. hang in there, as we hope for the best.

I have started Barnidge every week on all my fantasy teams. I dropped Crowell and wonder if Benjamin will start to slide into oblivion

I also wonder if we should have drafted Malcom Brown. Next year the rookies will be more experienced and I expect Cooper, Shelton, Orchard and Gaines to be solid contributors.

The pundits have the Browns drafting a quarterback next year. What a shame they passed on Carr. I hope they draft Bosa not a QB.

Looks like Farmer will be on the hot seat for passing up talent and taking Gilbert. I hate Farmer

I have Barnidge and the Crow along with Travis B, since Aaron Rodgers is on a bye I figure I would put Josh in, I went from first to 4th. I also have the Browns D and Coons. It is from the NFL.com so no cash just bragging rights. My point is Barnidge is the only 1 to come thru for me. This has nothing to do with anything but I got the boot from fb for telling a girl what I really thought of her so I wanted to vent

Good post, this is quickly where I'm getting too every week. I never thought there'd be a time (minus serious things of course) that I'd miss a Browns game on TV. I'd get so riled up and it would just get to me for a long time. But now each year it just gets easier. I enjoyed listening to the game on the radio a lot for the Ravens game, and I missed the first half of the raiders game just to be out enjoying a nice day.

I still get a little frustrated admittedly when the games we should have won we lose (see Broncos), but I can quickly let it go for games that were doomed (see St. Louis). Like I've said before though, I don't see how anyone would willingly buy season tickets for this team though. That's not calling you guys out, but I wouldn't pay 5 bucks to watch them live right now and have to woof down $10 beers and hot dogs. BUT with that being said, it's nothing to do with "not being a fan". I'm so tired of hearing that.

Not to get sentimental, but part of it for me is I just want them to win while my dad and I can share that memory. It's cheesy and he's in great shape so God willing we got a lot of years left, but each year that feeling sinks in a little bit more. Obviously we have a great time overall, but we really bonded over Browns football so just one damn time I want to see a winner. Alas, we'll see that's for sure.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one... Like somebody said, it's not that I'm no longer a fan, it's just for my own sake I'm not letting their losing effect me like it used to...

How can anybody get excited about our recent drafts? Our recent FA signings? Our 1st round QB being all over the news for negative things? Our GM getting suspended for stupidity?

I honestly feel that if I support this team, I'm doing them, and myself, a disservice. I will fully support them again when they give me a reason...

Archived