THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve Jobs review

Steve Jobs

Universal

R. 122 min

There are groups of perennially opposed folks throughout history. There are Christians and Satanists, Browns fans and Steelers fans, Buckeyes and Wolverines, dark side and the Force, but none less at odds then Apple vs PC. I'm going to admit right off the bat that even though I have owned a couple Apple computers I am firmly a Studiocat Intel powered PC guy.

It's for that reason I didn't have a great deal of interest in seeing the story of the Pioneer of the Macintosh Steve Jobs (Michael Fassbender). I was, however, intrigued by the idea that someone might possibly be able to make a film that comes close to the innovation of the product he created.

Well, after in putting all the data on cards and feeding them into the UNIVAC the answer is a resounding 'almost.'

Unfortunately if you have absolutely no idea and no interest in how computer differences changed the industry back in the days of the Apple 2, you might have a hard time buying into the intrigue and conflict among those in the industry.

One of the sticking points I remember for my early experiences with Apple computers is the idea that the PC was more open source, meaning you could buy parts, chips, boards etc to customize or even build your own. Apple computers, at the insistence of Steve Jobs, were proprietary. If you wanted an Apple computer you had to buy an Apple computer and not a licensed clone.

Many believe that's one of the biggest reasons the PC grabbed the lion's share of the market, a share that was almost impossible to overcome.

As the Apple 2 became a success Jobs wanted to expand into more innovative machines, one an ill conceived cube with a price tag that kept the public away. Hence a conflict between the mastermind and the stockholders. Jobs gets the boot and is replaced by John Sculley (Jeff Daniels) who soon tripped over his own firewire cable, producing a few dogs, including the innovative but ultimately useless Newton, and winds up on the other end of the aforementioned boot.

Our hero returns and launches the very successful, affordable, accessible and attractive iMac. And the rest, for what it's worth, its history.

Additionally if you feel you might be bored by business intrigue there is also a personal story. Not only does Jobs have a problem getting along with his wife and daughter but also his coworkers and especially his long-standing friend and partner Steve Wozniak (Seth Rogen). I know people who have no use for Rogen whatsoever, but I've always kind of liked him and this role is perfect for him.

Anyway it's not the acting, which was very good by the way, or the way they interpreted a series of business deals as dramatic, which they really kind of were or even the fact that Mr Jobs was never a very likeable fellow.

Much like Oliver Stone's JFK, the producers had a great deal I wanted to say which caused the film to be almost non-stop dialogue. I grant you that the rapid-fire exchanges between all the actors was well-timed and precise but soon it became overload. Just like too many explosions and battle scenes can get on your nerves in an action film so here does the constant and frenetic repartee, regardless of the skill required to pull it off.

Frankly I was surprised the screenplay is by Aaron Sorkin whose political track record seems more likely to have set him up as the writer for OUR BRAND IS CRISIS, also in this issue. Maybe he's getting paid by the word.

This one, while demanding, isn't nearly as enjoyable as it might have been.

C+

WSS

Westside Steve Simmons

I don't tend to go to "quiet" movies in the theater, so haven't seen this one either...

What did you think of Fassbender's performance?

Started noticing him rising above his material back in X-Men: First Class and on through 12 Years. Then started noticing him in lesser roles when I re-watched things from Band Of Brothers to 300 to Inglourius Basterds.

Anyway seems to be a promising actor and Jobs looked to be a big step for him...

if you're not creative, you wouldn't need a mac.

mac is the industry standard for running the adobe creative suite and it's final cut pro is the industry standard in film editing. (3d is a diff story).... even though jobs was a co-founder in pixar.

all my friends know i'm a mac guy even though my first computer was an amiga 2000 which had the capability of running 2 platforms, but have been buying and using apple products since the 80s.

the mac changed everything AND put a lot of companies out of work. first job out of the army was at a type and design house in boston. 300k worth of typesetting equipment made obsolete with the launch of the first mac and the program pagemaker.

DOH!!

btw, if you haven't seen 'the counselor' with fassbender......pretty intense movie.

if you're not creative, you wouldn't need a mac.

mac is the industry standard for running the adobe creative suite and it's final cut pro is the industry standard in film editing. (3d is a diff story).... even though jobs was a co-founder in pixar.

all my friends know i'm a mac guy even though my first computer was an amiga 2000 which had the capability of running 2 platforms, but have been buying and using apple products since the 80s.

the mac changed everything AND put a lot of companies out of work. first job out of the army was at a type and design house in boston. 300k worth of typesetting equipment made obsolete with the launch of the first mac and the program pagemaker.

DOH!!

btw, if you haven't seen 'the counselor' with fassbender......pretty intense movie.

Linux has an answer for Adobe. Mac is essentially linux with an idiot proof interface.

On the contrary, I have recorded every one of my solo CDs on a PC audio production by a company called Studiocat.

Advances in technology and software have come a long long way over the past few decades.

WSS

i know. but it's the whole 'steadfastness' of the users that keep this debate going like the DA vs QUINN factions.

was weened on a mac and love the mother's milk. using my girl's pc is like trying to solve a rubik's cube. i'm sure it's easy enough for people that do it everyday but to me it's backwards. you can run top notch software on either platform. just used to the mac and thought woz and jobs were geniuses.

never liked bill gates since the day i met him......(which is never)......

• 2 weeks later...

On the contrary, I have recorded every one of my solo CDs on a PC audio production by a company called Studiocat.

Advances in technology and software have come a long long way over the past few decades.

WSS

I'm a fan of Sonar Cakewalk.. I love the user friendly plug ins.

Yep.

WSS

Yep.

WSS

However.. Me personally.. I like the warmth of analogue over the brittle harshness of digital recording.

However.. Me personally.. I like the warmth of analogue over the brittle harshness of digital recording.

Heh

Well I'm older than you aND my hearing is right between Beethoven and Pete Townshend.

My hardware is the Roland V 700 and the analog digital converters are pretty good. If I had a thousand bucks to throw around I'd get an Avalon.

:)

WSS

Heh

Well I'm older than you aND my hearing is right between Beethoven and Pete Townshend.

My hardware is the Roland V 700 and the analog digital converters are pretty good. If I had a thousand bucks to throw around I'd get an Avalon.

:)

WSS

Well Steve.. I'm hearing impaired.. I wear a hearing aid... so.. I'm right behind ya dude... LOL

Archived