THE BROWNS BOARD

Crimson Peaks Review

Crimson Peaks

Universal

R. 159 min

Ok friends. I'm really not looking forward to this. Yes yes it's the Halloween issue and I probably should pick one of the current crop of horror movies to review.

There are a slew of them.

Vin Diesel starring in the last WITCH HUNER promises to be a special effects and noise fest, THE GREEN INFERNO, a gruesome tale of teenagers being tortured and eaten by cannibals, the latest incarnation of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, one of the worst films ever, DIABOLICAL, one of those turds where a young couple moves into an old house and oh my God! Demons demons and more demons! There is GOOSEBUMPS, kids against spooks and there is my random selection, CRIMSON PEAKS.

Frankly, despite the promise of pure gross out, I'd have picked the cannibal movie but for the extremely small distribution.

Will I think I probably made a good decision. I think that more than any other genre horror is populated by a handful really extraordinary films floating in a vast ocean of sewage.

As I said according to its description mystery and romance are on the roster along with the spooks. Not only that but it turns out to be a period piece set in the age of steam and crossing the ocean between the USA and England.

Edith (Mia Wasakowska) guards the threshold of her father's business empire by day and works on her dream of writing a great romance/ghost novel by night.

One day she makes the acquaintance of Tom, (Tom Hiddleston) a dashing young man who appears to have come all the way from Great Britain seeking financial support for his dream, a steam powered device that will extract red clay from the ground for brick making. That must have been a big deal in the 19th century.

Edith's Father is unimpressed with both the device and the young man but Tom and the fledgling author soon fall in love.

There is another character in this little drama, Tom's creepy sister and it's not long before it becomes clear but the siblings are up to no good. Upon learning of this swindle father confront Tom and writes him a check instructing him never to see Edith again. Before this arrangement is known by anyone else the old man is brutally murdered.

With the evil secret still intact the three return to England where the young couple takes up residence in the families derelict old mansion. Things go from strange to terrifying as more and more of siblings dark plans begin to unfold.

This might have been just a mystery but for the inclusion of a few very frightening ghosts that turn up along the way, even though they are not the main thrust of the story.

I find myself extremely surprised at the high quality of this film especially during the Halloween season when the cinematic garbage trucks backup to the gates of the theaters. It made sense when I found out the film is by Guillermo del Toro a writer and director with a reputation for quality work even in the macabre.

Even though it probably won't appeal to the 14 year old fans of Freddy and Jason this is it well acted well written and intriguing film with a few shocking sequences.

B+

WSS

Archived