THE BROWNS BOARD

Black Mass review

Black Mass

Warner Brothers

R. 122 mon

We Americans of Irish extraction, no matter how many generations back, have been waiting for the definitive Irish GODFATHER and after seeing BLACK MASS, a biopic about Jimmy Whitey Bulger the famous mobster from South Boston I have to say we are still waiting. That isn't to infer that this isn't a very good film, it's just that Francis Ford Coppola set the bar so very high and for different reasons.

While the Corleone a family and their associates are loosely based on actual members of organized crime families BLACK MASS attempt to tell the real story of the real criminal organization. While the Corleone's are portrayed as almost heroes in the grand tradition of Jesse James and Robin Hood, real mobsters are not nearly so appealing, as we've seen in reality based movies such as KILL THE IRISHMAN and GOODFELLAS.

On one hand, Bulger was a friend to the community, oftentimes generous and kind to those less fortunate in the Irish projects.

On the other hand he was a paranoid sociopath and cold blooded killer.

The crux of this well-known story is his relationship with an FBI agent, John Connolly (Joel Edgerton ), who grew up in the same poor neighborhood. These two cooked up a scheme that would not only help the FBI rid Boston of the Italian Cosa Nostra but allow Bulger to continue his widespread criminal empire. Bulger would offer information about the Italian mob in exchange for the authorities looking the other way concerning his seemingly less notorious activities. This looks like a win-win for the Irish.

The intelligence gathered by this operation will make Connolly a rising star in law enforcement until it turns out that Bulger is passing on dated information, in effect playing the FBI as suckers. By then it's too late for anyone to get out safely.

This is an intriguing and interesting look at the affair but keep in mind that real life crooks aren't really all that romantic and no attempt is made to make them seem that way. Basically this is a sad tale of rats, rats and more rats.

So while this is a very well done film don't count on a great deal of action or fun. Also while you certainly can't root for Bulger, you can't really hate him as badly as you probably should. From a quote early in the movie by one of the squealers, "a lot of people liked him." (but there is at least one kill the dog scene if you remember one of my favorite plot devices)

Also we can't discuss the movie without mentioning the performance of Johnny Depp whose performance is the key to this film. Depp can always be counted on to create a distinctive character in any film he stars in and while I haven't like everyone in this case I think he nails it.

Even though the makeup artist has a lot to do with it it's almost as though, from what we've seen in photographs and film clips, Whitey Bulger is starring in the film himself.

The film ends when the whole house of cards comes tumbling down, basically ignoring the years and years Bulger spent hiding from the law. Of course we don't know much about those years before his capture.

ps, tell me that cello music isn't reminiscent of THE GODFATHER...

B+

WSS

Westside Steve Simmons

Archived