THE BROWNS BOARD

Pavano solid again

Oldcrow1945

He ended up going 6 2/3 giving up 4 hits, a walk, three K's and induced 9 ground ball outs.

The guy was really in command after the first inning. He looked nothing like the Carl Pavano I've seen for the last few years.

That's two straight solid starts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

This staff could end up being ok

Guest Masters
He ended up going 6 2/3 giving up 4 hits, a walk, three K's and induced 9 ground ball outs.

The guy was really in command after the first inning. He looked nothing like the Carl Pavano I've seen for the last few years.

That's two straight solid starts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

This staff could end up being ok

Well in fairness, he hasn't really pitched in the last few years.

If his arm is finally healthy, he should be solid in the old Byrd roll.

Guest Masters
I'm just loving that incentive-laden contract. The guy has talent and now he's financially encouraged to use it.

Beanpot

Does he really need financial encouragement at this point? Dude got enough from NY w/o having to pitch to last him a life time.

I think Carl might actually be healthy for the first time in a long time. Though he'll never be the guy he was when the Yankees first signed him.

Would be nice if he shows up like Milwood did that one year.

Does he really need financial encouragement at this point? Dude got enough from NY w/o having to pitch to last him a life time.

I'll just say that I'm far more cynical than you when it comes to what's "enough" for athletes to live on after their playing days. Understand the "dude got enough" mentality, just think it's a bit simplistic.

Either way, I love the contract from the organization's perspective. And if Pavano does in fact have "enough", I hope's got enough soul in him to want to reach the incentives.

As for financial encouragement on a bit of a lesser scale, here's some timely news on a guy who earned over 16 million on salary alone in his playing days. The picture alone is priceless:

By PATRICK OBLEY

Sports Editor

According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, Cincinnati Reds minor league pitching coach Tom Browning was arrested on Friday and charged with non-payment of child support on a Polk County, Fla., warrant.

Bond was set at $99,008.36. Browning, 48, of Union, Ky., remained in custody at the Sarasota County Jail as of Monday evening.

The Cincinnati Reds declined comment through media relations director Rob Butcher.

Best known for the perfect game he threw on Sept. 16, 1988, Browning in January was named pitching coach for the Carolina Mudcats, the Reds' Double-A affiliate.

During a 12-year playing career spent mostly with Cincinnati, Browning compiled a 123-90 record with a 3.94 earned run average. He burst onto the baseball stage in 1985, going 20-9 with a 3.55 ERA, good for second in that year's National League Rookie of the Year voting.

In addition to the perfect game in 1988, Browning went 18-5 with a 3.41 ERA. He was the winning pitching in Game 3 of the 1990 World Series, when the Reds upset the heavily favored Oakland A's.

His playing career was cut short by an extremely rare injury. On May 9, 1994, Browning was pitching against San Diego when his throwing arm snapped while delivering a pitch. He was released the following season, catching on with the Kansas City Royals in 1995. Unable to earn a spot with the Royals the following spring, Browning then retired.

Browning earned $16.7 million during his playing career. He rejoined the Reds in 2006 as pitching coach for their advanced rookie level team, the Billings Mustangs.

browning-%20tom.jpg

Well in fairness, he hasn't really pitched in the last few years.

If his arm is finally healthy, he should be solid in the old Byrd roll.

I thought he was always overrated. He had one good season in Florida and the Yankees over paid to get him. Because he signed with the Yankess you would've thought they were signing Cy Young.

Before his one successful season with the Marlins he was looking journeyman-like......And that may be kind.

Guest Masters

That picture was priceless....lmao.

I was going a bit simplistic on the money part and get where you are coming from. In the case of Pavano, after all he has been through with the injuries, and the money he got from NY w/o seeing the field, I just don't see money as his motivation at this point. That has been a lot of grueling rehab work and time put in, when financially he could just say enough. I think wanting to pitch and pitch well is his motivation. Especially after reading many of his comments from camp and in interviews. I think for him now, the money he can get is icing on the cake.

Especially after reading many of his comments from camp and in interviews. I think for him now, the money he can get is icing on the cake.

Yeah, that's my take too. He's said all of the right things and I'm seriously pulling for the guy. Hated him for just about ever and now I love him!

Front of the jersey stuff.

Beanpot

Guest Masters
I thought he was always overrated. He had one good season in Florida and the Yankees over paid to get him. Because he signed with the Yankess you would've thought they were signing Cy Young.

Before his one successful season with the Marlins he was looking journeyman-like......And that may be kind.

That's bit unfair and inaccurate about Pavano. He wasn't a journeyman at all. He played his 5 years with Montreal. He was there with Pedro and Vlad. He was generally solid but never healthy for a full season. Then it was FLA for 3 years, w/ only 2 healthy. One lights out year and the other was okay on bad team. Then off to NY and a slew of season ending injuries.

NY certainly over paid at the time for him.

That's bit unfair and inaccurate about Pavano. He wasn't a journeyman at all. He played his 5 years with Montreal. He was there with Pedro and Vlad. He was generally solid but never healthy for a full season.

Actually he was sent to Montreal as part of the deal that sent Pedro to Boston. He and Armas Jr was sent to Canada for Pedro. There may have been some other players involved too but I think they were the main ones. Pedro and Pavano never played together.

He has battled injuries his entire career, including a car crash. (Or was it a motorcycle?) But even when healthy I never thought he was that impressive. His K's were always good.

I just remember laughing the year the Yankees signed him. Pavano had just got done completely dominating the Yankees in the world series (game 4) and I thought when they signed him that it must've really impressed them!!! lol!

Guest Masters
Actually he was sent to Montreal as part of the deal that sent Pedro to Boston. He and Armas Jr was sent to Canada for Pedro. There may have been some other players involved too but I think they were the main ones. Pedro and Pavano never played together.

He has battled injuries his entire career, including a car crash. (Or was it a motorcycle?) But even when healthy I never thought he was that impressive. His K's were always good.

I just remember laughing the year the Yankees signed him. Pavano had just got done completely dominating the Yankees in the world series (game 4) and I thought when they signed him that it must've really impressed them!!! lol!

I was mistaken. He was part of the Pedro deal. But Pavano has only played for 3 teams in 10 years before coming to CLE. Not really a journyman.

Yankees did overpay for his value. I am not saying Pavano was a #1 starter. But he had the ability to be a solid 3/4 guy in any rotation, when healthy.

That's bit unfair and inaccurate about Pavano. He wasn't a journeyman at all. He played his 5 years with Montreal. He was there with Pedro and Vlad. He was generally solid but never healthy for a full season. Then it was FLA for 3 years, w/ only 2 healthy. One lights out year and the other was okay on bad team. Then off to NY and a slew of season ending injuries.

NY certainly over paid at the time for him.

Masters, When Pavano went to the the Yankees here were his career stats.

9 seasons

63-68

4.12 ERA

I don't care what anyone says, those years and numbers are the VERY EPITOME of a journeyman pitcher.

Any pitcher with over 100 decisions in 9 seasons and a winning percentage under .500 is a journeyman pitcher.

Under "Journeyman" in the official Baseball dictionary should be a photo of Carl Pavano.

You just can't get anymore journeyman-like.

This is why I was shocked when the Yankees signed him for that money. You can get those numbers out of host of much cheaper pitchers. They signed him becasue they got all excited after he dominated the Yankees in game 4 of the World series.

After his Yankees years his stats are

12 seasons

72-76

4.34 ERA

If the Indians could get a 10-10 season out of him with an ERA of 4.20 they should be extremely happy!

Guest Masters
Masters, When Pavano went to the the Yankees here were his career stats.

9 seasons

63-68

4.12 ERA

I don't care what anyone says, those years and numbers are the VERY EPITOME of a journeyman pitcher.

Any pitcher with over 100 decisions in 9 seasons and a winning percentage under .500 is a journeyman pitcher.

Under "Journeyman" in the official Baseball dictionary should be a photo of Carl Pavano.

You just can't get anymore journeyman-like.

This is why I was shocked when the Yankees signed him for that money. You can get those numbers out of host of much cheaper pitchers. They signed him becasue they got all excited after he dominated the Yankees in game 4 of the World series.

After his Yankees years his stats are

12 seasons

72-76

4.34 ERA

If the Indians could get a 10-10 season out of him with an ERA of 4.20 they should be extremely happy!

Journyman in sports usually implies the guy has played in many places. That is why I say Pavano isn't one.

I would argue his stats are a bit misleading, considering his injuries, and spending a big chunk of time with Montreal. I wouldn't call them impressive by any means, but they aren't all the bad either with all the factors in play (and considering the league average ERA is right about there for pitchers).

If the Indians can get 20 starts, with the majority being quality starts, I will be happy.

Archived