THE BROWNS BOARD

Why doesn't Bowe play?

Westside Steve

If there's already another separate thread for this feel free to delete but for all the talk I've heard about the non-participation by Dwayne Bowe I wonder if there is any insight at all as to what the problem might be?

Has he been incompetent or insubordinate or lazy and practice?

There has to be some reason?

WSS

Ok, so here's what I've heard/read on the Bowe subject:

He came into camp out of shape, and subsequently hurt his hamstring, which never fully healed. He'd take two steps forward, and three backwards. He never got any speed or burst. Then he'd tweak the hamstring again, and the process would start over.

Bowe doesn't get ANY separation. While never a burner, he had the ability to get open and use his frame to secure receptions. As Gruden pointed out Monday night, Bowe doesn't get open. I know it was one route, but it points to the problem with him. He simply doesn't get open for the QB's.

I have no proof of this, but something tells me his attitude isn't great. Pettine is a stickler for hustle and practicing (as he should be), and I am pretty sure Bowe thought he would show up as a veteran and just "be the guy" without putting the work in.

Farmer knew Bowe from his days at Kansas City (I think), and there is a theory that he didn't do as much homework on Bowe as he should of because of his prior experience with him.

Lastly, Pettine doesn't like him and wasn't happy with the signing. (again, COMPLETELY conjecture, but I think I'm correct)

Dwayne Bowe during the MNF had one of the most awful cuts on a out route I've ever seen from a professional WR. I think it's a little bit of column A, column B type of thing. He came to the Browns a little out of shape, got into the doghouse and that made him not give a shit. It's hard not to feel that way for him knowing the dude is avoiding concussions and serious injuries all while earning 9 million dollars.

Again though, the dog house for Pettine looks like a mansion compared to the jokers we see on the field.

Agree with the above...

So the question becomes why is Bowe still here?

No telling what Bowe's continued, gold-bricking presence does to team morale. Not too mention the Pet-Farmer relationship. Ray does not strike me as the kind of guy to shrug off the weekly embarrassment of his big FA signing being inactive in either word or deed.

Makes me think Ray believes Bowe still has something to contribute. Otherwise he would have ripped that Band-Aid off by this point. Businessmen like Jimmy do not keep their failures around to remind them that they failed, e.g., Chud.

If Bowe becomes the determining factor of who between Farm and Pet goes, then it does not look good for Ray.

Exactly, and Jrb's point is also right on the money.

The times Bowe has taken the field, he ran his routes like

a bored little spoiled kid who just wanted to go home and

watch tv.

Farmer screwed up that wr pick in a huge way. In

2014, Miles Austin had 47 catches for 568 yards, second only to Hawkins..

dammit, farmer.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/cle/year/2014

If Bowe becomes the determining factor of who between Farm and Pet goes, then it does not look good for Ray.

We dont know who....if anybody.....has Haslams trust(or ear).....

But, based purely upon demeanor in their most recent pressies, Id say Farmer was way more uptight and defensive....

Pettine looks tired and disgusted. but not nearly as defensive or as agitated as Farmer came off......

Agree with the above...

So the question becomes why is Bowe still here?

No telling what Bowe's continued, gold-bricking presence does to team morale. Not too mention the Pet-Farmer relationship. Ray does not strike me as the kind of guy to shrug off the weekly embarrassment of his big FA signing being inactive in either word or deed.

Makes me think Ray believes Bowe still has something to contribute. Otherwise he would have ripped that Band-Aid off by this point. Businessmen like Jimmy do not keep their failures around to remind them that they failed, e.g., Chud.

I agree with that last statement over JM and Gilbert. Throw in Bowe, Mayle, Turbin, etc and I'd say he is already toast.

If there's already another separate thread for this feel free to delete but for all the talk I've heard about the non-participation by Dwayne Bowe I wonder if there is any insight at all as to what the problem might be?

Has he been incompetent or insubordinate or lazy and practice?

There has to be some reason?

WSS

E. All of the above?

We dont know who....if anybody.....has Haslams trust(or ear).....

But, based purely upon demeanor in their most recent pressies, Id say Farmer was way more uptight and defensive....

Pettine looks tired and disgusted. but not nearly as defensive or as agitated as Farmer came off......

True on the ear... but if we look at the money, the direct losses due to high-priced player misses are pretty clearly on scouting... and money is where Jimmy's ear is at.

Agree on Farmer...

Agree on Pet...

Someday we need to "what if we'd never drafted JM". What if, as h put it so long ago, the circus had never come to town.

True on the ear... but if we look at the money, the direct losses due to high-priced player misses are pretty clearly on scouting... and money is where Jimmy's ear is at.

Agree on Farmer...

Agree on Pet...

Someday we need to "what if we'd never drafted JM". What if, as h put it so long ago, the circus had never come to town.

Tour- I'd hate to be right about the Circus comment, but I saw the train coming down the track, and was hoping the Browns would jump out of the way before it was too late. Yup, I was totally bummed when that pic was announced. Pettine left the door open just a crack for JFF. Not certain if Manziel is willing to walk through the door. He may not get the opportunity if Davis plays 1\2 decent. Austin was signed to a couple year extension- but that could well be just another in a long line of Farmer f**kups.

I do think it's in the Browns long term interests to at least give Manziel a couple more starts- to see what they have, or possibly increase his trade value if they've determined to move on. Haven't looked it up, but MHO is it would be in the historical range to can a first round qb pick after as few starts as Johnny. Even bums like Wee-done, and the Not so Mighty Quinn got 20+ starts before they were shipped out.

I think that is an excellent idea once it has completely played out. Maybe in 2030? Or maybe 2016? Pretty sure now it will be one or the other. The circus tent will fold at one of those times. If it's 2030 I sure hope it's the Browns and not the Cowboys.

I think that is an excellent idea once it has completely played out. Maybe in 2030? Or maybe 2016? Pretty sure now it will be one or the other. The circus tent will fold at one of those times. If it's 2030 I sure hope it's the Browns and not the Cowboys.

Here's a what if. What if we'd started him at the beginning of this season instead of dilly dickin around and whining about TMZ?

Or even started him at the beginning of last season with the full confidence as the starter?

How much different would our record me today and how much more or less of a laughing stock?

WSS

In other words, Steve, what if we'd handed him the keys and said "good luck"?

That would have been AWESOME!!!!....considering he couldnt even call the plays in the huddle last year....

The players probably would have rebelled and screamed for Hoyer.....just my guess....

And that rehab?......never woulda happened.....(not that it's helped much)

Archived