THE BROWNS BOARD

Stafford to Lions "a done deal"?

Guest Aloysius

dont no if theres any truth to this but its interesting http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1767&t=4165046

my god we can only hope that is the exact terms of the possible trade. #5 #20 #50 no DA sign ol gus as a back up. that sounds to good to be true, but that is what keeps us staying up late at night before we have to go to work in the morning.

my god we can only hope that is the exact terms of the possible trade. #5 #20 #50 no DA sign ol gus as a back up. that sounds to good to be true, but that is what keeps us staying up late at night before we have to go to work in the morning.

I'd jump all over that deal! The difference between #36 and #20 would be well worth DA!!! Wow....That would be worth it.

With #20 you may be talking Rey,Cushing, Wells, Mack, Maclin, Bulter.......A significant difference between that and what is available at #36.

Plus Detroit has their QB, a nice big WR target for him and a new left OT.

I'm fairly certain that's not what we're advocating here. You get that.

So you're saying if you're DET, and you have guys like Bradford and McCoy rated significantly higher than Stafford, and Stafford rated slightly higher than Jason Smith, who you rate much higher than any LT prospect next draft, you still select Stafford?

Yes.....for the simple reason you get let the variable of next years draft impact what you do this draft.

I know some may call it extreme thinking, but who knows what happens next year. maybe you win 6 games and draft 8th next year. Maybe Bradford suffers a spinal injury...God forbid...

You can look to next year to get a feel for a overall draft class....should be a good year for guards as an example.....but you can't start pinpointing individual guards thinking he is the guy you are going to draft.

The consensus thinking is you don't pass a top qb when you have the chance.

If they have Stafford rated high, and he fills the need, you take him. You can't take the chance you are going to get Bradford next year unless you plan on getting the 1st pick next year.

Anyway...we are now regurgitating the same stuff over and over, so I will leave it as we simply disagree.

Life on a message board.

The consensus thinking is you don't pass a top qb when you have the chance.

I'm beginning to wonder if this thinking is changing as we see more and more failed 1st round QB's.

I take a lot of consideration who is in charge in Detroit now. Not just the HC but the OC and DC. To me this says they will take the player that is more of a sure thing. The Left OT from Baylor.

I think they'd prefer to trade down but it's hard to believe it'll happen.

Too bad for Stafford as his dreams of NFL stardom are now over.

He can use the $60,000,000.00 to wipe those tears though.

DA can recollect on the days when held such hope and stardom. :lol:

It dosn't suprise me not one NFL team is seriously considering making a high trade offer for DA. Maybe we can get a new washing machine for him.

I don't see this as a smokescreen. There doesn't appear to be anyone anxious to trade for the #1 pick, so what would their "smokescreen" motivation be?

I don't see them taking a Qb... media hype then if not smoke screen. Jason Smith is the very best pick....if they take Stafford with zero protection he'll end up Tim Couch/ David Carr sacked so many times they became a deer in head lights. Tp take a QB without a Line is IDIOTIC!

Guest Masters
Is it idiotic? I don't know.

Im going to play the reverse role here, Big Gay Ben has had no line for years, and has two Superbowl rings. Maybe the rest of the NFL neeeds to catch on?

Ben is the exception, not the rule. A good amount of his sacks also come when he is moving in the pocket and buying time.

Im going to play the reverse role here, Big Gay Ben has had no line for years, and has two Superbowl rings. Maybe the rest of the NFL neeeds to catch on?

He had a great line...hasn't had a great one the last 2 years...still good. Point being when he came into league he didn't get freakin mauled like couch and carr.

There is a rumor on another board that would make WPB horny.

Here's a cut and paste

I was told today by a league source that the Lions will not take Matt Stafford with the #1 overall pick. Instead, the Lions will go with a veteran QB. More on that later.

The Lions are reportedly trying like crazy to trade the #1 overall pick, but so far there have been no takers. If they can't trade the pick, it's looking like Jason Smith from Baylor will be the first pick in the draft.

As for the veteran QB, I'm being told that the Lions may have a deal in place with the Cleveland Browns for Derek Anderson (whom they prefer over Brady Quinn). The trade will involved the 20th pick in the draft, but don't think the worst. The trade wouldn't be Derek for the 20th pick, it would be Derek and the Browns 1st second round pick (pick #36) in exchange for the 20th pick. So basically, the Browns would just be using Derek Anderson to move up 16 spots in the draft.

He had a great runblocking line which is the Steelers bread and butter.

Grant it his line isn't the best in passblocking but a lot of that is due to how long Ben holds the ball and his slower windup.

Guest Masters

Here's a cut and paste

I was told today by a league source that the Lions will not take Matt Stafford with the #1 overall pick. Instead, the Lions will go with a veteran QB. More on that later.

The Lions are reportedly trying like crazy to trade the #1 overall pick, but so far there have been no takers. If they can't trade the pick, it's looking like Jason Smith from Baylor will be the first pick in the draft.

As for the veteran QB, I'm being told that the Lions may have a deal in place with the Cleveland Browns for Derek Anderson (whom they prefer over Brady Quinn). The trade will involved the 20th pick in the draft, but don't think the worst. The trade wouldn't be Derek for the 20th pick, it would be Derek and the Browns 1st second round pick (pick #36) in exchange for the 20th pick. So basically, the Browns would just be using Derek Anderson to move up 16 spots in the draft.

Wow, way to cut and pastw that from the Orange and Brown report message board, which someone else put the link to yesterday morning, in this thread.

Guest Masters
That wouldn't be a bad trade, it gets good value out of DA, and the Lions get a starting QB and don't lose a draft pick.

But would DET be getting good value out of DA? I doubt it. But you never know.

Guest Masters
I know some may call it extreme thinking, but who knows what happens next year. maybe you win 6 games and draft 8th next year. Maybe Bradford suffers a spinal injury...God forbid...

Maybe Staffords/Sanchez arm falls off before seeing the field this year. Maybe both are the next Ryan Leaf. Maybe neither can take the pounding they will likely take while in DET w/ no line.

You can take that extream approach to the present, just as much as to the future like you did. Because the only known future is what is in front of you today. Everything beyond that is speculation. Teams will make the best speculation on near and long future they can, that they feel best suits their team.

And drafting 8th next year will likely get you Bradford, McCoy, or Tebow. It might not get you the best LT (who may not be as good as any in this draft).

NFL teams that make draft picks, especially in the 1st round, based position ned generally end up reaching and not fairing well.

Guest Masters
Yes, slightly ironic. is there a way to grade the proposed trade using the point system?

When a player is involved in the deal (especially a QB), there really isn't a value in the point system to use. That becomes subjective.

Maybe Staffords/Sanchez arm falls off before seeing the field this year. Maybe both are the next Ryan Leaf. Maybe neither can take the pounding they will likely take while in DET w/ no line.

You can take that extream approach to the present, just as much as to the future like you did. Because the only known future is what is in front of you today. Everything beyond that is speculation. Teams will make the best speculation on near and long future they can, that they feel best suits their team.

And drafting 8th next year will likely get you Bradford, McCoy, or Tebow. It might not get you the best LT (who may not be as good as any in this draft).

NFL teams that make draft picks, especially in the 1st round, based position ned generally end up reaching and not fairing well.

Right on the money! There will be four to six left OT's taken in next years 1st round too, But I'm not sure any of them are as good as Smith, Monroe and Oher. Smith especially is just a beast. I loved his 33 reps on the bench.

My top three QB's in 2010 are Bradford, Snead and McCoy. One or two will be available when the Lions pick next year. All three could be if the Lions end up with the first overall again.

If he comes out as a junior, I think Snead is going to be a great one. His rating this year was around 150. 25 TD's to 13 playing in the SEC.

I'd rather have Snead or Bradford and Jason Smith after the 2010 draft than I would Stafford and maybe Iowa's Brian Bulaga after the 2010 draft.

Guest Aloysius
My top three QB's in 2010 are Bradford, Snead and McCoy. One or two will be available when the Lions pick next year. All three could be if the Lions end up with the first overall again.

If he comes out as a junior, I think Snead is going to be a great one. His rating this year was around 150. 25 TD's to 13 playing in the SEC.

I'd rather have Snead or Bradford and Jason Smith after the 2010 draft than I would Stafford and maybe Iowa's Brian Bulaga after the 2010 draft.

Good to see someone hyping Snead. I really like what I've seen of him, though I suspect he'll have a tougher time playing without Oher and receiver Mike Wallace next year.

Good to see someone hyping Snead. I really like what I've seen of him, though I suspect he'll have a tougher time playing without Oher and receiver Mike Wallace next year.

I became really sold on him after the Texas Tech game.....And this was a Sophomore.

He moves really well and has a great arm. But also has touch on the shorter passes.

But would DET be getting good value out of DA? I doubt it. But you never know.

Actually, DA could do really well in DET simply because of Calvin Johnson.

A big-armed QB with no accuracy throwing to a guy who he can't outthrow and can go up and get those inaccurate passes, leading to inflated numbers. When said receiver is traded, it's figured out it was the receiver making the QB great, not the other way around.

Who's story does that sound like?

Here's a cut and paste

the rumors are true but they are slanted in your world of denial. anderson sucks and mangini wants to get rid of his ass before camp opens up. here is another rumor detroit wont be giving up anything more than a third rounder to get anderson. they consider him a back up to groom stafford.

u dong smokers are really something, and by the way, was that other forum a gay football lovers site

this dude had a good take.........."Personally I'd prefer their third for DA and a swap between the 50th and the 33rd."...........

that would give us a third rounder and the 33 and 36th in the draft....HUGE!

( I'd love love love for this to happen!!!!)

Archived