THE BROWNS BOARD

Terry's Worried

Beanpot

Today's worry - Scott Lewis:

If the Indians aren't worried about Scott Lewis ... then they're not paying attention. In his past two starts, he's been shelled for 15 earned runs and six homers in 6 and two-thirds innings. I was about 12 rows from the field behind the plate and the scary part for Lewis is that several of the pitches that were hit hard were low. Usually, he's in trouble when up in the strike zone. I'll simply say that I went to watch David Huff in a minor-league game for a story for Tuesday -- they will need help in the rotation soon and he's a prime candidate.

It's so hard to judge a finesse lefty such as Lewis. He throws in the 87-88 mph range. He's 6-foot, 180 pounds, so he doesn't look physically impressive, nor is there anything about his stuff that inspires a wow reaction -- even when he's getting people out. In the minors, Lewis was 18-19 with a 2.71 ERA in parts of five seasons. He also dealt with some arm troubles a few years ago. Lewis came to Cleveland in September and was 4-0 with a 2.63 ERA.

In 97 minor-league innings last season split between Class AA and Class AAA, Lewis allowed only four HRs. But in 24 innings with the Tribe, he gave up four homers in 24 innings. So when he misses, it gets hit a long way -- at least in the majors. Lewis said that gripping the ball has been a problem in the dry air. But it's the same desert air when he had allowed only one run in nine innings in his previous two outings -- and earned a spot in the rotation. Since then, he has been shelled.

Masa Kobayashi had a 1-2-3 inning, all grounders. They will pitch him again Wednesday, see how his arm reacts in back-to-back games. I'm not sold on the guy, but he has pitched well in two of three times that I've seen him. And both good outings came on days when the ball was carrying in the outfield -- and days that Scott Lewis was hit hard.

Mark DeRosa had two more hits, raising his average to .400. Tribe fans will love this guy, just as the Cubs fans do. He has look very good at third and first base.

The Indians plan to send Andy Marte to Class AAA Columbus. Not really sure why. Wes Hodges is at third, and they have Jordan Brown (pounding the ball with four HRs in minor league camp) and Mike Aubrey (hit .455 before being sent down) to handle first base and DH. The only spot open may be if they decide to play Brown in the outfield, which he has done at some points in his career. My point is Marte is mentally finished with the Indians, and both sides should shake hands and part ways. The Indians even gave Marte 32 ABs with the Major League team this spring, and he batted .219 with one double, one HR. His swing remains big and slow.

Loved the way Jensen Lewis tossed two more scoreless innings, allowing only one walk. He has given up only two runs in 11 innings. He really appears to be a closer in the making, and should be a tremendous set-up man for Kerry Wood.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....raining_sc.html

Beanpot

Man, everything Lewis threw tonight was "Up".

He did seriously look like he was going through the motions. I got the feeling he was doing nothing but getting his final innings in. His face even seemed emtionless throughout the entire game.... As if he was throwing BP.

I really think the Tribe may have told him to take it easy now that the battle was over for the last spot. With his history of arm trouble and with Wedge's constant focus on tired arms in September, I think they may have told him to just go out and work a little and not worry about being effective.

Archived