THE BROWNS BOARD

What type of offensive and defensive systems would you like to see the Browns run?

joedawg69

I don't know about the rest of you; but, I would like to see the Browns run an offense with power running and strong armed quarterbacking. As for the defense, I don't mind the 3-4 defense but I would be more inclined to see a more zone defense with man to man cross ups to keep the offense guessing. We really could use a better special teams again like before too. What do you think?

well I've stated before that we had players better suited to the 4-3. I know our inside LB problems would still have likely persisted, maybe, but our front line players would have been more productive had we gone to a 4-3 and kept the players in physical conditions better suited to that scheme. Instead we made players get away from their natural athletic skillsets in order to shoehorn them in this system. That game where siragusa talked about Dansby losing all that weight was eye opening. He was a 3-4 ILB'er at Arizona and one of the best in the league, what are we doing with our 3-4 that made Dansby have to get down to 228? I don't get it at all. Arizona has one of the best defense's in the NFL, why does our 3-4 have to be so vastly different it necessitates a 30lb weight loss, and resulting loss of strength nad leverage, in dnsby

I don't know about the rest of you; but, I would like to see the Browns run an offense with power running and strong armed quarterbacking. As for the defense, I don't mind the 3-4 defense but I would be more inclined to see a more zone defense with man to man cross ups to keep the offense guessing. We really could use a better special teams again like before too. What do you think?

"Effective"

Who the hail cares as long as they score - at least - one more point than their opposition.

Winning teams are NEVER boring to their fans. To the objective observer? Maybe. To fans of the team? Never.

Offense-- Never line up in a Wild Cat or Pistol Ever. The ZBS left when Shanny left. Week 9 is to late to find your own style that is now working. A screen only works when set up properly than with blockers in front that can block. So damn tired of watching a dink & dunk system over the middle with all the defenders already loaded the box to bang our Dwarfs. Recognize the box & throw the ball outside to a WR that can beat a 1 on 1. To many good things happen when you throw deep on any down. Defense-- FIRE O'NEIL for all Defensive god Sake!! Stop the Hockey Line Changes in personal for Gordie Howe Sake!! Quit overpaying Veterans on Defense or Offense that our in their last 3-5 Seasons they think.. Line up 4-3 don't move & smash the man with the ball!!

It could be the 4-3 but stop letting players leave in free agency. Jabaal Sheard has 8 sacks with Patriots and we could have used Skrine and Rubin. Replacing young talent with older guys,to save money has hurt our defense. Give me the 4-3 with the players we used to have before Farmer let them walk.

Here is part of an article on FanSided that blames moving from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and letting TJ Ward, Sheard, Jackson, Skrin and Rubin walk

The more I let myself think about the fact that the Browns forced the 3-4 switch in the first place and let all of there young talent go – Rubin and Jabaal Sheard mostly, but add in Buster Skrine, D’Qwell Jackson and T.J. Ward – then compounded it by paying all of that money and investing picks in replacements – Danny Shelton, Kruger, Orchard, Dansby and Donte Whitner – and it is enough to make you scream.

Fun Facts:

Ahtyba Rubin, age 29, makes $1.35 million this year for Seattle, and has 34 tackles (18 solo), two sacks and an interception vs. Danny Shelton age 22, makes $435,000 this year, and has 35 tackles, (19 solo), no sacks and no interceptions.

Jabaal Sheard, age 26, makes $1 million this year for New England, and has 35 tackles (28 solo) and 8 sacks vs. Randy Starks, age 32, makes $1.75 million this year, and has 27 tackles (12 solo) and one sack (we had to look up Starks by the way.)

D’Qwell Jackson, age 32, makes $875,000 this year with Indianapolis, has 143 tackles (83 solo), three sacks and one interception vs. Karlos Dansby, age 34, makes $4 million this year, and has 101 tackles (57 solo), no sacks and three interceptions.

T.J. Ward, age 29, makes $3.76 million this year with Denver, and has 57 tackles (46 solo), with two sacks and no interceptions vs. Donte Whitner, age 30, makes $4.5 million this year, and has 80 tackles (57 solo), 1.5 sacks and zero interceptions.

Buster Skrine, age 26, makes $1.5 million this year with the Jets, 53 tackles (43 solo), zero sacks, zero interceptions, six passes defended vs. Tramon Williams, age 32, makes $3.7 million this year, 69 tackles (55 solo), zero sacks, one interception, 10 passes defended.

The Browns have approximately $22 million in cap space available. If they simply re-signed these players, the total is $8.485 million. Dwayne Bowe is making $9 million this year and they would still have $13.515 million in cap space available.

Rubin 1-year $2.6 mil $1 mil guaranteed

Shelton 4-years $11.7 mil $11.7 mil guaranteed

Sheard 2-years $11 mil $5.5 mil guaranteed

Starks 2-years $6.5 mil $3 mil guaranteed

Jackson 4-years $22 mil $11 mil guaranteed

Dansby 4-years $24 mil $12 mil guaranteed

Ward 4-years $22.5 mil $14 mil guaranteed

Whitner 4-years $28 mil $13 mil guaranteed

Skrine 4-years $25 mil $13 mil guaranteed

Williams 3-years $21 mil $10 mil guaranteed

Here is part of an article on FanSided that blames moving from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and letting TJ Ward, Sheard, Jackson, Skrin and Rubin walk

The more I let myself think about the fact that the Browns forced the 3-4 switch in the first place and let all of there young talent go – Rubin and Jabaal Sheard mostly, but add in Buster Skrine, D’Qwell Jackson and T.J. Ward –- it is enough to make you scream.

If they simply re-signed these players, the total is $8.485 million. Dwayne Bowe is making $9 million this year and they would still have $13.515 million in cap space available.

This is getting old.....always hearing about "who we dont have".......you seem to forget that the team SUCKED with these guys, so standing pat with the players you have takes you nowhere......

Why do people always scream about letting average to below average talent leave, when we want to get better??????

Honestly..... Skrine, Rubin and Jackson are NOT(and were not) very good and DEFINITELY are not as good as the players who replaced them.....

Skrine was the WORST starting DB on our team and now is the worst for NY.....Ruben was our WORST starting DL last season and now is the same for SEA....so.....

And Sheard is not an OLB.....so where would he play here????......I (like many others) knew he'd play better at DE and it was discussed here many many times.......also knew you all would cry cry cry when he did.......

Ward?......probably better than Whitner.....but not by much.....

And, in terms of switching to the 3-4, THAT was on Chuds staff(Horton)..... if anything, Pettine has brought it at least half way back, because our D uses multiple fronts.....4-3 and 3-4.....

So....lets make an honest comparison.....not a slanted one.....

First.....Starks did not replace Sheard, so why are we comparing them?......

Second.....Comparing players stats who are on different teams and at different positions is wrong too....

SO...lets compare apples to apples(IE: Their stats on THIS team at the positions they played here)....and the actual players who relaced them, shall we...?????

Sheard was replaced by Orchard(not Starks).....so....

Sheard (OLB) : played 690 snaps.....had 41 Tackles and 2 sacks and 24 hurries......

Orchard(OLB): played 343 snaps.....has 30 tackles and 3 sacks and 6 hurries......

So...with 350 less snaps(half the playing time), this shows me Orchard WAY out performed Sheards numbers from last season and, since he's a rookie, Id expect better in the future.....score +1 for Orchard and the Browns.....

Rubin - Kitchen: played 760 snaps......had 58 tackles and 1 sack and 7 hurries....

Shelton - Meder: played 850 snaps....had 64 tackles and 1 sack and 19 hurries.....

So....this is basically a wash, based on tackles per snap, but an improved pass rush.... Id definitely go with the 2 rookies, who performed as well as the veterans, as it only stands to reason they will get better.....while you cant say the same for Ruben......(and Kitchen is unemployed right now).....score +2 for Shelton-Meder and the Browns

Taylor - Winn : played 650 snaps......had 37 tackles and 1 sack and 13 hurries....

Starks-Cooper:played 790 snaps......had 41 tackles and 3 sacks and 34 hurries....

Again....very comparable tackle numbers....definitely more durable(than Taylor).....and improved pass rush numbers.....Id take Cooper and Starks(and, again., the upside of a rookie who will grow)....score +3....

The last one is Skrine.....and Im not even going there.....Traymon is WAY WAY better......no discussion even needed....

Archived