THE BROWNS BOARD

Earth population 'exceeds limits'

PB&J

Earth population 'exceeds limits'

By Steven Duke

Editor, One Planet, BBC World Service

LIVING ON A CROWDED EARTH

There are already too many people living on Planet Earth, according to one of most influential science advisors in the US government.

Nina Fedoroff told the BBC One Planet programme that humans had exceeded the Earth's "limits of sustainability".

Dr Fedoroff has been the science and technology advisor to the US secretary of state since 2007, initially working with Condoleezza Rice.

Under the new Obama administration, she now advises Hillary Clinton.

"We need to continue to decrease the growth rate of the global population; the planet can't support many more people," Dr Fedoroff said, stressing the need for humans to become much better at managing "wild lands", and in particular water supplies.

Pressed on whether she thought the world population was simply too high, Dr Fedoroff replied: "There are probably already too many people on the planet."

GM Foods 'needed'

A National Medal of Science laureate (America's highest science award), the professor of molecular biology believes part of that better land management must include the use of genetically modified foods.

"We have six-and-a-half-billion people on the planet, going rapidly towards seven.

"We're going to need a lot of inventiveness about how we use water and grow crops," she told the BBC.

"We accept exactly the same technology (as GM food) in medicine, and yet in producing food we want to go back to the 19th Century."

Dr Fedoroff, who wrote a book about GM Foods in 2004, believes critics of genetically modified maize, corn and rice are living in bygone times.

"We wouldn't think of going to our doctor and saying 'Treat me the way doctors treated people in the 19th Century', and yet that's what we're demanding in food production."

In a wide ranging interview, Dr Fedoroff was asked if the US accepted its responsibility to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide, the gas thought to be driving human-induced climate change. "Yes, and going forward, we just have to be more realistic about our contribution and decrease it - and I think you'll see that happening."

And asked if America would sign up to legally binding targets on carbon emissions - something the world's biggest economy has been reluctant to do in the past - the professor was equally clear. "I think we'll have to do that eventually - and the sooner the better."

THE MOST POPULOUS NATIONS

# China - 1.33bn

# India - 1.16bn

# USA - 306m

# Indonesia - 230m

# Brazil - 191m

The full interview with Dr Nina Federoff can be heard on this week's edition of the new One Planet programme on the BBC World Service

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7974995.stm

Is it time for a nuclear war, or another plague? I think it would be the most sure fire way to fix the economy at the very least. And the argument for GMOs is spot on, and those hippies that want all organic food can go xxxx themselves. We need to be able to feed everyone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7974995.stm

Is it time for a nuclear war, or another plague? I think it would be the most sure fire way to fix the economy at the very least. And the argument for GMOs is spot on, and those hippies that want all organic food can go xxxx themselves. We need to be able to feed everyone.

Have driven through Kansas. NO WAY.

Say, we could irradiate food til they get crazy, and the fruits and vegetables grow 140 times their usual size.

Wait, that would mean they are lethally radioactive....

Sorry, for a second I was thinkin like a liberal.... :rolleyes:

Say, we could irradiate food til they get crazy, and the fruits and vegetables grow 140 times their usual size.

LOL. Liberal and conservative are the same, I always find this funny, still do. Defending a who range of views with these people are liberal and these people are conservative. How is invading a country conservative?

We could just eat babies and solve both problems....

although i definitely disagree with the premise (my premise), there's legions of people that should be kept from diluting and infecting the gene pool.

natures laws dont seem to apply anymore.

World-wide, minimum IQ score?

Don't test up to par, get sterilized?

I like it

Not to high-jack, but this was one of my main points against stem-cell research. The world is already over-populated and if stem-cell's are at all what they are cracked up to be not only are they going to improve the QUALITY (a point I am willing to concede) but drastically change the QUANTITY (live expectancy) of the world's population.

So,

What your saying is that because stem cell research has the potential to extend life those with crippling illnesses should just deal with them?

Combine that with the so called killing of human life we shouldnt bother with this at all?

WOW,this place is crazier than I thought.

What I am saying is that we live on a finite planet with finite resources, scientific breakthroughs are awesome, and being the son of a person with a crippling illness (MS) I would give anything for my son to KNOW what his grandfather was like before the disease. That being said, I am also not naive to realize that we're nearly at a critical mass when it comes to the amount of people on the Earth. I do not think my line of thought is crazy (it may seem cold hearted) but I don't think I am being illogical in my concerns.

That being said, I am also not naive to realize that we're nearly at a critical mass when it comes to the amount of people on the Earth. I do not think my line of thought is crazy (it may seem cold hearted) but I don't think I am being illogical in my concerns.

Watch out Smalls...cal might accuse you of being a Godless Lib by "playing God." Artificially halting human progress, i.e standing in the way of Man's Progress, is "playing God," sorry.

It's OK to play God when the cause suits folks. I guess.

That being said, I am also not naive to realize that we're nearly at a critical mass when it comes to the amount of people on the Earth.

Sorry to hear about your dad, man. The earth is not at critical mass. Come on, please tell me that you have driven through Montana or Kansas.

Sorry to hear about your dad, man. The earth is not at critical mass. Come on, please tell me that you have driven through Montana or Kansas.

Unfortunately I have never been west of Chicago. I think I understand your point though.

mz the pussy, you threw out a ridiculum argument there. By definition what you said about playing "God" tries to have it both ways. And my original point was that I have enough respect for the 'circle of life' to understand and respect deaths roll in the whole system.

I do believe in stem cell research. But I don't believe in murdering unborn children to obtain those stem cells.

Why is it so hard for emotionally locked in liberals to differentiate between the two issues?

There is already fetal stem cell research. On what... 19 or 29 something fetal cells?

It just isn't federally subsidized. Why all the hate towards adult stem cells? They have -shown-

the most promise...

Or, the hate for adult stem cell research is because it doesn't lefthandedly give abortion some subconscious legimacy?

Does anyone even talk to you anymore. You're a predictable Retard....

We get it Obammy is bad. Many taxes. Takes away our guns. Gooooodddd Boy.

I don't think I've commented on guns.

But yes.

Population is THE cause of man made whatever the hell you want to cry about.

And yes a cap and trade tax is idiotic and / or disingenuous.

And I'd bet big dough that of all the guys here you, sir, are mentioned highly in the bi partisan "biggest waste of space" and "asshole" categories.

Watch out KFP!!!!

Here come the Tri Lateralists!!!!!!

WSS

Im just taking a stab in the dark here....

But could the 975 billion pounds of human currently living on the earth do anything to the orbit? Magnetic field? ... and therefor climate?

I'm not quite sure on the exact number, I just multiplied 6.5 billion by an average human weight of 140lbs.

Also... is this true?

Since plants have started growing, essentially they only need sunlight, water, minerals from the soil.

Doesn't that mean that the quantity of organic matter on earth has been ever increasing, therefor also increasing the mass of the planet?

Maybe 'global warming' is more of a natural cycle than we realize. And not something thats being controlled by our carbon emissions.

Volcano's dump thousands of times more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere in 1 year than humans have since the industrial revolution.

The earth's axis shifted slightly 10,000 years ago. Population wasn't a consideration then.

Although, there were dinasaurs, and they ate a lot. And there were cannabilitistic two footed sloths

back then.

The latter apparently were the ancestors of today's leftists.

Im just taking a stab in the dark here....

But could the 975 billion pounds of human currently living on the earth do anything to the orbit? Magnetic field? ... and therefor climate?

I'm not quite sure on the exact number, I just multiplied 6.5 billion by an average human weight of 140lbs.

Probably not in that humans are basically constructed from other existing matter which can neither be created nor destroyed.

Zero sum as weight goes.

WSS

Probably not in that humans are basically constructed from other existing matter which can neither be created nor destroyed.

Zero sum as weight goes.

WSS

I just researched it, the mass of the earth actually is increasing. But its not from plants or humans. Space debris that constantly falls into our atmosphere is doing it.

The earth is not at critical mass. Come on, please tell me that you have driven through Montana or Kansas.

I have been through Kansas. It is easy to say that there is a lot of open space to put people in, but then how are you going to feed them? Dr Fedoroff is saying we need to move forward on managing food and water, and a huge part of that are GMOs. there is a lot more to it than just places to put people.

I have been through Kansas. It is easy to say that there is a lot of open space to put people in, but then how are you going to feed them? Dr Fedoroff is saying we need to move forward on managing food and water, and a huge part of that are GMOs. there is a lot more to it than just places to put people.

Kansas's crops

What we have here is s Nation being transformed by Fear! A report comes out about millions in the future will be starving what ever it may be a famine or something that would blow in the wind and stop the process of plants from being to produce. (new can of worms, monsanto) We need to prop up the smaller family farms amd see to it that they are not overly controled by our government weather its thru epa or any UN globalist treaty that will prevent them from being able to produce. And on another hand all shoukld know how to plant a garden and be able to preserve their own food.

To many want to panic and will cry out to big brother protect us ptotect me! we need to be accountable to be able to provide for our own and help our neighbors.

Archived