THE BROWNS BOARD

Talentfest in the Desert

Tour2ma

Congrats to BAMA... outmanned a game Clemson team that was led by their fine, duel-threat QB, Watson. The kid oozes poise.

But so many players popped on both teams that it was hard to keep track.

BAMA O:

Henry (RB)- will give Ag fits over Derrick's fit (just because I can), but he is a hoss...

Howard (TE)- wow... how can this Junior TE not come out after that performance?

Robinson (LT)- going to be at least one more year before we see him in the draft.

Kelly ©- This is DraftScouts' current top Sr. Center.

BAMA D: If we're running a 3-4 I look here a lot.

Man I liked Pettway... even looked like a 4-3 DE to me.

Ragland kinda disappeared.

Clemson O:

Peake (WR)- Sr. that DraftScout has all the way down to their #34 WR???

MacLain (OG)- DS's #11 Sr OG and rising. Reportedly can run a sub-5.1...

Leggett (TE)- good looking Jr.

Clemson D: One stop shopping for 4-3 DEs... and DTs..

DEs: Lawson (Jr) and Dodd... great motors and speed

DTs: Pagano and Watkins...

Watson is plain sick. Saban all but admitted to having nightmares over Johnny and he said tonight that Watson is the most dynamic QB they've played since Cam (that's pre-Johnny). High praise.

Those were Howard's only two TD catches of the year. I don't know if he's planning to come out or not. He was very good last year though.

Cam Robinson is amazing. Kelly is overrated. For a unit that blocked for a guy that won the Heisman, Bama's offensive line really wasn't very good overall this year. Very reliant on A. big plays and B. absurdly high number of attempts. During the A&M-Alabama game which I believe was week 7, Gary Danielson noted that Alabama ranked in the back half in college football in negative rushes. That's on the OL.

If Ragland disappeared then we have different definitions of that word. Reuben Foster is the heir apparent to him and will be probably be better, however. Ragland tied for third in tackles though against a team that abandoned the run fairly early and whose runs were mostly outside anyway. I would love to see Ragland and/or A'Shawn Robinson and/or Jarran Reed in Cleveland. I wonder if the new analytics will factor in the hit rate at these schools...

Pettway is a little short for end at 6'2" and a little light for tackle at 270. He could be a nice pass rushing DT though. However, on the whole, Bama employs bull rushers almost exclusively as they don't like to blitz much and just want to push the pocket while guys stay in their lanes. Their best pass rusher is Tim Williams who IMO was crazy underused this year.

Haven't watched much Clemson outside of this game but Alexander is awesome at CB and the entire DL is really, really good. Curious to see how high Lawson can vault himself in the pre-draft process.

There was more talent in the desert when OSU and Notre Dame played.

Could you do one of your extensive player to player match ups to show that?

Congrats to BAMA... outmanned a game Clemson team that was led by their fine, duel-threat QB, Watson. The kid oozes poise.

But so many players popped on both teams that it was hard to keep track.

BAMA O:

Henry (RB)- will give Ag fits over Derrick's fit (just because I can), but he is a hoss...

Howard (TE)- wow... how can this Junior TE not come out after that performance?

Robinson (LT)- going to be at least one more year before we see him in the draft.

Kelly ©- This is DraftScouts' current top Sr. Center.

BAMA D: If we're running a 3-4 I look here a lot.

Man I liked Pettway... even looked like a 4-3 DE to me.

Ragland kinda disappeared.

Clemson O:

Peake (WR)- Sr. that DraftScout has all the way down to their #34 WR???

MacLain (OG)- DS's #11 Sr OG and rising. Reportedly can run a sub-5.1...

Leggett (TE)- good looking Jr.

Clemson D: One stop shopping for 4-3 DEs... and DTs..

DEs: Lawson (Jr) and Dodd... great motors and speed

DTs: Pagano and Watkins...

So many great D linemen against Bama and yet poor lil derrick only got 156 yds. and 3 TD.s What a candyass! LOL! :P

Those guys made Bama's R OT disappear more than anyone.

Could you do one of your extensive player to player match ups to show that?

Sure....but this just applies to players that are going to go in the Top 100 of the draft per the CBS Sports draft ranking. The number are their respective prospect rankings:

OSU/ND.....vs.....Ala/Clemson:

#1 Joey Bosa OSU

#7 Ronnie Stanley ND

........................#9 A'Shawn Robinson Ala.

........................#10 MacKenzie Alexander Clemson

........................#12 Shaq Lawson Clemson

#13 Ezekiel Elliot OSU

.......................#15.Reggie Ragland Ala.

#18 Darron Lee OSU

.......................#19 Jarron Reed Ala

#20 Taylor Decker OSU

#21 Jaylon Smith ND

........................#22 Jonathan Allen

#30 Eli Apple OSU

#32 Michael Thomas OSU

.........................#34 Derrick Henry Ala

#41 Will Fuller ND

#46 Adolphus Washington OSU

.......................#51 Jayron Kearse Clemson

#54 Joshua Perry OSU

.......................#56 Ryan Kelly Ala

#58 Vonn Bell OSU

#67 Nick Martin ND

.......................#74 Jordan Leggett Clemson

#87 Cardale Jones OSU

#91 Kervae Russell ND

#96 Nick Vanett OSU

#99 Sheldon Day ND

That is 16 of the Top 100 for OSU/ND....and 10 for Ala/Clemson

If you want underclassmen rated, you can do that. I don't know how. I am using the resources I am familiar with. I will only say that I think JT Barrett holds his own against Watson, so there is not much difference there IMO.

First, well done... you did not disappoint.

Second, I can wait a couple weeks for DraftScouts to bring declared underclassmen into the rankings. No sense in putting more work in than you did.

Third, Barrett = Watson? Closer than I'd thought, but we have at least one more year to settle that one.

Year -- School -- G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

Career Clemson 23 426 628 67.8 5575 8.9 9.4 49 15 163.4

Career Ohio St . 23 296 461 64.2 3826 8.3 8.9 45 14 160.1

Career Clemson 270 1305 4.8 17

Career Ohio St . 286 1620 5.7 22

First, well done... you did not disappoint.

Second, I can wait a couple weeks for DraftScouts to bring declared underclassmen into the rankings. No sense in putting more work in than you did.

Third, Barrett = Watson? Closer than I'd thought, but we have at least one more year to settle that one.

Year -- School -- G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

Career Clemson 23 426 628 67.8 5575 8.9 9.4 49 15 163.4

Career Ohio St . 23 296 461 64.2 3826 8.3 8.9 45 14 160.1

Career Clemson 270 1305 4.8 17

Career Ohio St . 286 1620 5.7 22

Bottom line though is per the above, you could have a good one quarter of the first 100 draft picks be players that come from just those 4 schools.

Pretty impressive is that happens.

Per today's CBS Top 100 draft prospects, here is how those top 100 break down in terms of the school they are from:

Ohio St. 9 + 1 if you count transfer Noah Spence

Alabama 7

Notre Dame 6

LSU 5

Stanford 4

Miss. St. 4

Ole Miss 3

Clemson 3

Michigan St. 3

Georgia 3

Arkansas 3

Baylor 3

Penn St. 3

Fla. St. 2

Cal 2

Florida 2

Indiana 2

USC 2

Boise St. 2

La. Tech 2

Oklahoma 2

All of the following one each:

UCLA, Oregon, Memphis, OK St., Auburn, Tex. A&M, Va. Tech. TCU, Kan. St. E.Ky (Spence), Duke, Pitt, South Carolina, Houston, Missouri, N. Carolina, BYU, Louisville, Miami Fla., Temple, Utah, Rutgers, Arizona, W. Virginia, Colorado St.

I had thought I counted more Clemson players...but as I look now, they just have the three in the Top 100. (or maybe I miscounted)

That is just one list: CBS. So you could probably find differently....and all this could change after the combine etc.

Per today's CBS Top 100 draft prospects, here is how those top 100 break down in terms of the school they are from:

Alabama 7

Notre Dame 6

LSU 5

Stanford 4

Miss. St. 4

Ole Miss 3

Clemson 3

Michigan St. 3

Georgia 3

Arkansas 3

Baylor 3

Penn St. 3

Fla. St. 2

Cal 2

Florida 2

Indiana 2

USC 2

Boise St. 2

La. Tech 2

Oklahoma 2

All of the following one each:

UCLA, Oregon, Memphis, OK St., Auburn, Tex. A&M, Va. Tech. TCU, Kan. St. E.Ky (Spence), Duke, Pitt, South Carolina, Houston, Missouri, N. Carolina, BYU, Louisville, Miami Fla., Temple, Utah, Rutgers, Arizona, W. Virginia, Colorado St.

I had thought I counted more Clemson players...but as I look now, they just have the three in the Top 100. (or maybe I miscounted)

That is just one list: CBS. So you could probably find differently....and all this could change after the combine etc.

TE Jordan Leggett, who you listed in post #6, has decided to stay in school so CBS took him off the list today. DE Kevin Dodd and DT Carlos Watkins have yet to declare, but they'll likely be in the top 100 if they do. So that'd be 5 Clemson players

Edit - Apparently Dodd declared earlier today

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/687307519484649472

TE Jordan Leggett, who you listed in post #6, has decided to stay in school so CBS took him off the list today. DE Kevin Dodd and DT Carlos Watkins have yet to declare, but they'll likely be in the top 100 if they do. So that'd be 5 Clemson players

Edit - Apparently Dodd declared earlier today

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/687307519484649472

Well, it seems like these lists can fluctuate daily until it is finally decided who is staying and who is going. More defintitive list after that deadline.

None the less...it seems that OSU and Alabama will still lead the charge on players taken highly. Top 100 mean essentially first 3 rounds (usually 96: 32x3.....at least one less this year)

Yup... will move a lot to and through the Combine.

Just started noticing this kid from Eastern Kentucky in the draft game... said, "I know that name..."

Damn good player...

We were lucky. 3 of our A&M players decided to come back another year one we selected a new OC. 2 were receivers and the 3rd was our DE opposite Myles Garrett who must stay one more year before eligible for the NFL. If we miss on Bosa then we need Garrett in 2017.

Yup... will move a lot to and through the Combine.

Just started noticing this kid from Eastern Kentucky in the draft game... said, "I know that name..."

Damn good player...

Watched a bit of tape on him yesterday, looks good as a pass rusher but gets pushed back quite easily in the run game. Probably better off at OLB rather than 4-3 DE.

Archived