THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn - Why would you bet the future on him?

DawgTracker

The predominant thought on this board is that Quinn is the guy, forget DA and forget drafting a top QB this year. I consider myself an unbiased observer in the QB situation, I simply want the browns to have a great QB.

Could those of you who are certain Brady Q is the long term answer at QB explain why you feel that way? He hasn't proven anything to me, yet.

The predominant thought on this board is that Quinn is the guy, forget DA and forget drafting a top QB this year. I consider myself an unbiased observer in the QB situation, I simply want the browns to have a great QB.

Could those of you who are certain Brady Q is the long term answer at QB explain why you feel that way? He hasn't proven anything to me, yet.

Haven't you been reading their posts ? It's all they talk about .

All the things that make a quarterback a FRANCHISE quarterback: intelligence, poise, leadership, drive, and toughness. We believe Quinn possesses all of those things. The intangible things.

There is no way to know for sure. I wish we knew DA or Quinn were the answer. Da has had more time than most QBs get to show what he can do. He can play...but he'll never be great. Quinn is a 1st round pick (high draft and money invested). He needs to be given the time to show what he is worth. Some people say they've seen enough to know. I haven't...but his upside is so much more than DA that I think we need to play him and find out.

While drafting another QB is an option. It would just add to the ridiculous uncertainty that is our QB position. How would a new draftee be better off than Quinn this coming year? Quinn has had time to sit and learn the speed of the game and has some actual starting experience. We have far too many holes to spend a high pick on yet another unknown for a passer.

This is why I'm leaning towards letting Quinn start, moving DA, and going forward this year. Absolutely no way to tell what will happen but he has the upside that DA doesn't and he fits the new system better. Either way I really hope one or the other gets moved. I'm so sick of QB "battles" and what not. We need a leader and a backup...not a battle.

The NFL is a QB driven league. Every team wants to know that they have that franchise QB but it isn't that easy.

There have been hugh busts of QBs taken with the 1st or 2nd overall pick. This year Sanchez or Stafford could be a hugh bust. But, you have to keep looking for the best fit for yur organization. Some of our problems have been a revolving door of coaches and coordinators. That doesn't inspire any type of stability. Also, some QBs will perform better in the right systems or could die in the wrong system.

DA, for what he is, was a decent fit for what Chud wanted to do, which was stretch the field, but they didn't put all the pieces in place for that system. Also, I would imagine they thought eventually Anderson would improve with his short passing game.

As for Quinn, the jury is still in deliberation. All we know is that he has handled game pressure in college has a good arm and is accurate on shorter pass plays. He has some accuracy problems on longer throws, basically opposite from Amderson. He seems to fit the offense the team will be running and has had two years of NFL experience learning how to read defenses.

Is he the answer? They need to put him on the field and find out. Everything else is speculation and opinion. My opinion would be you spent the draft picks mentored him, although it was a different staff running a different system, so how can you toss him aside without knowing if he is the answer. Also, can you really know if the next guy you bring in will be the answer? If you keep dumping QBs before you give them a chance to prove themselves, then you will never get your franchise QB.

Eli Manning struggled at first, but they stuck with him. Drew Brees struggled at first to the point where they drafted another QB in the 1st round. Favre sat for a few years and was traded to Green Bay by Atlanta who never gave him a shot.

Why would you bet your future on Quinn? He has the intangiables. He has the skills. He's been a good soldier. He's a competitor. The system that will be run suits his strengths. He is well liked by the players. With that, he deserves the shot to show if he can be the man on this team.

Do you bet the teams future on him? You never put all your eggs in one basket. You are one hit away from bringing in the backup. As hit and miss as QBs can be, you create a plan and have a backup.

Does Quinn deserve a shot to lead this team? YES

Would I put the Browns future in his hands? YES

Is DA a alternative to lead this team? NO

The main thing is, are the coaches willing to bet the future of this team and their jobs on Quinn? We will find out in a few weeks.

In this society we seem to want things now! The proverbial "What have you done for me lately".

I wouldn't even give up on Quinn if he struggles in 2009. You have to give him time.

I think of Steve Young. The Bucs gave up on him in two years and then he sat a few years behind Montana.

Just be patient and allow the guy to come into his own. Even if he struggles with a team that is bound not to be very good in 2009.

It's these kind of things that make me laugh at shake my head at Lummy or anyone that thought Quinn looked less than spectacular the few games he started....It reminds me of a little kid that throws a hissy fit if he doesn't get what he wants now!

Actually i wouldnt bet the teams future on quinn simply because we havent seen him play enough as a pro but if i were mankok and lerner i most certainly wouldnt bet it on cutler especially without giving quinn a shot he is a first rounder that has been patiently waiting 2 years longer then he should have most teams would have started bq right off the bat...

This frickin team owes bq a real chance and owes its fans the right to see for ourselves what the kid has if we trade him and he has some success with denver while we are struggling with our new very slightly improved DA with a real attitude(cutler) i can all but gaurantee mankok isnt going to be around very long and randy will be pressed hard to sell the team..and attending games will be more like a protest of management and ownership then a ballgame..unless the unlikely event of winning with this jerk as our starter actually happens then all would be forgot but i would not take that bet with a handicap..;)

My take on this whole thing is mankok is playing the game in full and very well and after stating a competition between bq and da will exist they arent going to trade either unless the deal is excessively in our favor...cutler for quinn is not even in our favor as will be seen should that unlikely event somehow happen..

Quinn should play for the Browns this season for one simple reason:

We drafted him with a first round pick.

I don't care about anything else and -- all of Lum's inane QB comparisons aside -- EVERY first round pick MUST play and be given EVERY chance to justify their draft position.

They all won't succeed but because of the organizational investment, they MUST succeed or fail on the field.

So, IS Quinn the guy? We don't know.

Does Quinn have every possible trait you want in a successful NFL QB? Yes, he does.

Final thought:

The only reason this organization has NOT committed to our first round pick at QB is because of Savage's infatuation with DA. Savage lost objectivity and perspective when it came to DA and because of that he not only clouded the QB waters to this ridiculous point, he lost his job.

BQ, if I am not mistaken went 2-1 in his 3 NFL starts his 1 loss was due to interception because he had a broken finger. Some may question of the injury but unless you have had a similar injury you really wouldn't understand how weak that finger was due to torn ligaments.

As far as poise and and keeping his head he is a competitor all of us have witnessed that, he has had the training under good coaches coming up through college and there is a reason he was a first round pick. Many beleive or feel he is a Franchise QB. It is his turn to prove to all what he has in his tank and give him this season to show all.

I feel if you give him a RB and 1 or 2 more quality receivers he will become one of the great ones.

BQ, if I am not mistaken went 2-1 in his 3 NFL starts his 1 loss was due to interception because he had a broken finger. Some may question of the injury but unless you have had a similar injury you really wouldn't understand how weak that finger was due to torn ligaments.

As far as poise and and keeping his head he is a competitor all of us have witnessed that, he has had the training under good coaches coming up through college and there is a reason he was a first round pick. Many beleive or feel he is a Franchise QB. It is his turn to prove to all what he has in his tank and give him this season to show all.

I feel if you give him a RB and 1 or 2 more quality receivers he will become one of the great ones.

He went 1-2, Mr. T.

He broke his finger in the first quarter of the Buffalo game (2nd game).

just a small side note: we should stop using eli manning as an example of a good QB. he sucks now, he's always sucked, and he'll continue to suck as long as he's in the league. if his last name weren't manning, he'd be just another guy who got lucky and rode a hot streak to a super bowl. he can't carry a team, can't elevate other guys' play, and isn't an inspiring leader.

the giants win with the running game and defense, and eli basically has to be competent. he's not a top five QB, likely not even a top 10. eli manning is a shitty, overrated quarterback, and, as browns fans, we all know something, if not a lot, about shitty QBs.

just a small side note: we should stop using eli manning as an example of a good QB. he sucks now, he's always sucked, and he'll continue to suck as long as he's in the league. if his last name weren't manning, he'd be just another guy who got lucky and rode a hot streak to a super bowl. he can't carry a team, can't elevate other guys' play, and isn't an inspiring leader.

the giants win with the running game and defense, and eli basically has to be competent. he's not a top five QB, likely not even a top 10. eli manning is a shitty, overrated quarterback, and, as browns fans, we all know something, if not a lot, about shitty QBs.

Exactly! In five seasons this guy has a QB rating of.....76!

Having a defense not ranked second to last would have greatly helped BQ (or DA earlier in the season) win the DEN game and probably the HOU game too. We barely lost to Denver when Quinn played great, 100+ passer rating. Toss in a D that can stop a drive or two and that game is ours. The HOU game was very winnable but our D gave up some easy points and our offense couldn't get in the endzone. Quinn with a broken finger was noticeably inaccurate and in pain. DA came in with very little time but laid an egg as his terrible short game showed when a missed toss to Wright turned into a INT with prime field position.

TEAM TEAM TEAM

QBs need players around them and a defense that can stop drives (and sack the Qb haha).

All the things that make a quarterback a FRANCHISE quarterback: intelligence, poise, leadership, drive, and toughness. We believe Quinn possesses all of those things. The intangible things.

Well, you get how many points for poise...?? uhh how many for leadership??..uhh, how many for drive??..uhh..how many for intelligence?...uh...

I believe it's ZERO!!!!!!!!!....what I saw from him is injury prone..already,, can't throw down field, or afraid to squeeze one deep...has to roll out all the time to see over the D-Line...and sulks like a girlscout when he don't get to play.....(Leadership)???...Please...!!

BQ, if I am not mistaken went 2-1 in his 3 NFL starts his 1 loss was due to interception because he had a broken finger.

Actually he went 1-2 and his interceptions were both because he failed to see a defender in the passing lane and threw it anyway. Following those interceptions he was sent back to the bench.

I disagree. Manning is better than half the QB's in the league, easy. Is he one of the greats? No.

Is he currently one of the top 15 qb's? Yes.

He has more experience and wins than either of our beloved QB's.

And a ring.

He's a solid QB in a league that currently lacks solid QB's.

Guest Masters
Actually he went 1-2 and his interceptions were both because he failed to see a defender in the passing lane and threw it anyway. Following those interceptions he was sent back to the bench.

Wrong as usual. The one on the slant route is as much BE as Quinn. BE made zero effort to get the inside position on that quick slant, which he has to do on a play like that. On that play you have enough time to only determine zone vs. man presnap.

Thanks I wasn't quite sure without looking it up.

Is "1" a difficult number for you to remember?

At which point did you lose count? Let's see.......1 and, where was I again?

This is worse than Flugel proclaiming that BQ threw 6 preseason TDs when he really threw 2.

I swear I say this every day: We have given Quinn three games to prove himself, with a banged up offense and a horrible defense. Give it time.

No matter how many games it goes, as long as he keeps shitting his pants on the field BQ Nation will continue to say that it's too small a sample to determine if he can play.

Ken Dorsey got 3 games. Does he get another shot too?

Guest Masters
Is "1" a difficult number for you to remember?

At which point did you lose count? Let's see.......1 and, where was I again?

This is worse than Flugel proclaiming that BQ threw 6 preseason TDs when he really threw 2.

Actually Quinn over his last two preseasons has 4 TDs, 2 INTs and 1 sack http://www.nfl.com/players/bradyquinn/game...amp;season=2007.

DA over the last two preseasons has 1 TD, 1 INT, a lost fumble, and 4 sacks http://www.nfl.com/players/derekanderson/g...amp;season=2007

You should never bring up preseason performance when trying to prop up DA and disparage Quinn. Because DA has not done better in preseason.

Guest Masters
No matter how many games it goes, as long as he keeps shitting his pants on the field BQ Nation will continue to say that it's too small a sample to determine if he can play.

Guess CLE would be better off to continue letting DA shit his pants every week. Like the back half of 2007 w/ the playoffs on the line, or all of 2008, especially against division foes.

Go look at DA' first 3 NFL starts in 2006 vs. BQs first 3 NFL starts in 2008. Who shit the bed?

Dorsey had his chances throughout the years before he became a Brown. He came to Cleveland to hold a clipboard...Quinn was drafted to run the offense...

Next pointless comment, lum?

Guess CLE would be better off to continue letting DA shit his pants every week. Like the back half of 2007 w/ the playoffs on the line, or all of 2008, especially against division foes.

Go look at DA' first 3 NFL starts in 2006 vs. BQs first 3 NFL starts in 2008. Who shit the bed?

With Anderson at QB the Browns won 5 of their last 7 in 2007, including 3 of their last 4. How did BQ do in his games? Might want to ask someone other than Mr T.

And go look at the team's DA's first 3 starts came against. And look who BQ played against.

And go ahead and blow off the KC win that won him the job in the first place, cuz it wasn't a "start".

wow lumfaggot don't those throws remind you of what DA did every game including a screen pass he throw for a touchdown agianst the ravens to terell suggs. never saw him did he???

I disagree. Manning is better than half the QB's in the league, easy. Is he one of the greats? No.

Is he currently one of the top 15 qb's? Yes.

He has more experience and wins than either of our beloved QB's.

And a ring.

He's a solid QB in a league that currently lacks solid QB's.

he might be top 15, but i sad top 10. peyton manning, tom brady, ben roethlisberger, donovan mcnabb, philip rivers, carson palmer, jay cutler, drew brees and kurt warner are all easily better than manning, and i'll take matt schaub as the tenth guy who's better than eli manning.

he's in a tier with guys like jake delhomme, jason campbell, david garrard, chad pennington, kyle orton and, at this point in his career, matt hasselbeck, as guys who aren't going to put a team on their backs but are competent. tony romo might be in that group, too, but it's too early to be sure. a season without owens will help establish who he really is.

and eli manning has a ring because of a great defensive gameplan, a solid running game, a miracle grab that the pope himself had to have ordained and an injured CB trying to cover a 6'5" receiver on a fade route.

he had arguably as much to do with his team's super bowl win as brad johnson did for the bucs, trent dilfer did for the ravens and jim mcmahon did for the bears; average QBs have won super bowls before and will win them again in the future unless the league keeps up its trend of outlawing defense.

in summation, eli manning is a decent QB, yes, but there's nothing particularly special about him. he's not the kind of QB you expect to seize the moment in the fourth quarter and lead his team to victory, and those clutch intangibles are what will ultimately keep him from being a top-tier QB. he'll make the top 15, but there's going to be a line of guys in front of him who really are winners, who rise to the occasion, and who don't need luck to pull out a win.

Guest Masters
With Anderson at QB the Browns won 5 of their last 7 in 2007, including 3 of their last 4. How did BQ do in his games? Might want to ask someone other than Mr T.

And go look at the team's DA's first 3 starts came against. And look who BQ played against.

And go ahead and blow off the KC win that won him the job in the first place, cuz it wasn't a "start".

You mean the KC game where Frye was moving the ball all over and CLE had a lead when he left hurt (was 11/13 for 1TD, on pace for a much better day than what DA actually had)? You know that Frye guy. The one DA couldn't beat out in camp and that HC that supported DA, supported Frye? The same HC who Willie McGinest supported to the end and thinks DA should start. You getting the point?

It was PIT, BALT, and TB. So it's okay to play like shit against div foes, and throw 4 picks in one game to TB? Dude, that is just bad. 4 INTs in any game is shitting the bed, no matter the opponent.

But they lost the most important game, which included DA throwing 4, count them, 4 INTs. And how did DA do in those last 7 games? 9TDs, 10 INTs, 1 lost fumble. Yup, you should be so proud.

You can harp on Quinn all day. But you continue to not grasp that it isn't about Quinn. You can make him any name from any other school, and he should still get his shot after what DA has shown for the last 20+ starts. All he has shown is zero growth, and erratic arm, and an ability to turn the ball over.

Archived