THE BROWNS BOARD

Scout It Out Loud

Ibleedbrown

It never really occurred to me to ask this after the various other front office changes, but does anyone know what happens to the past regime's scouts? Like the boots on the ground folks? The guys hitting division 3 college playoff games and striking fear into ballpoint pens everywhere?

Despite the last front office turning my franchise into the most goddamned depressing thing l ever did see, l actually felt like they had some talent in finding diamonds in the rough type players, which l attributed directly to the scouting department.

Particularly secondary defensive players, a la Desir, K. Williams, Campbell.

Just wondering if anyone has some insight if the scouts stick with the franchise, or the assholes who got fired, or some combination of both.

That's a great question ... I ASSUME only Farmer got fired.

New guy will get hired and make adjustments ... but yes, we were doing OK mining late rounds and UDFAs.

Z

99% sure the scouts are still on the payroll. Fortunately, the college scouting season is pretty much over, save the East West Shrine game, and the Senior Bowl. Hue will probably head down to those himself.

It has happened in the past with the Browns (no surprise there) new FO's cleaned house in the scouting department. If I had to hazard a guess, Jackson will sit down & talk with each scout, review their work, and decide if he wants to keep them.

I always felt the opposite.

Our scouts aren't capable of finding those guys.

For 40 years I thought Pittsburg had those guys and I always wanted to know who they had that could go to Podunk U and find THAT guy and confidently draft him in a low round and he turns into an NFL beast.

Haslam has an in.

Raid their scouting ranks.

The scouts other than the top guys always work on 1 year contracts. Draft to draft. They are employed until this draft. I doubt we are going to toss them to the side at this point since they have been scouting for us since last April.

Now, what we do with them once this draft is over is anybodys guess.

I always felt the opposite.

Our scouts aren't capable of finding those guys.

For 40 years I thought Pittsburg had those guys and I always wanted to know who they had that could go to Podunk U and find THAT guy and confidently draft him in a low round and he turns into an NFL beast.

Haslam has an in.

Raid their scouting ranks.

Our scouts probably provide the same information as do others teams scouts. The difference is what is done with the information they provide.

Our scouts probably provide the same information as do others teams scouts. The difference is what is done with the information they provide.

On the surface, definitely.

But from time to time I'm sure there are certainly scouts who gain access to more privileged information not available to other scouts - i.e. if the guy is a dick, if the guy only cares about making money, if the guy is a racist, if the guy was able to skip practices, etc.

While it's not make or break information, it's useful. And it's probably what gets guys promoted.

The scouts other than the top guys always work on 1 year contracts. Draft to draft. They are employed until this draft. I doubt we are going to toss them to the side at this point since they have been scouting for us since last April.

Now, what we do with them once this draft is over is anybodys guess.

Good info! Assuming it's correct. It occurred to me the scouts are on the team payroll, but at some point had to have been hired by the shot calling football people, so if the shot calling football people get canned... One year contracts make sense though to even all that out. And presumably all the reports have already been filed for the upcoming draft.

The scouts other than the top guys always work on 1 year contracts.

I wonder how much is still this way vs. scouting "services".

Archived