THE BROWNS BOARD

Sisters Review

Sisters

Universal

R. 119 min

We had a little hiatus so I've seen quite a few films, but won't waste a lot of your time on this one. In its opening week I had driven a fair distance to be one of the first to see THE HATEFUL EIGHT in 70 millimeter. Unfortunately it was sold out so I rolled the dice on this Tina Fey and Amy Poehler comedy.

For some reason these women seem to be popular among critics, I'm guessing partly because of Tina Fey's Sarah Palin impressions, 30 Rock and her reputation for being a comedy writer.

Or maybe she's sleeping with Alec Baldwin, who knows, but more importantly who cares?

What I am wondering today is why she would tarnish that reputation by starring in a piece of crap like SISTERS. In a nutshell the two siblings learn that their parents are selling the family home and moving into a condominium. Now, all of a sudden, divesting themselves of the family home is the most important thing the girls can think of.

They fool the parents into believing they are cleaning out their memorabilia while the folks are away but instead throw a wild party in order to, assumedly, dissuade them from selling. The goal of this party is to destroy the place to scaring off possible buyers.

That in itself is a ridiculous enough premise but the film goes downhill from there as episode after episode after episode of distasteful partygoers perform acts of pointless vandalism.

And that friends, is that. The only positive note for Fey and Poehler is they did not write this piece of garbage, but one has to feel sorry for them if they need the money so badly as to even perform in it.

There were actually a couple of places scattered among this wasteland of comedy that made me laugh so I couldn't see my way clear to an F, but still...

D+

WSS

Archived