THE BROWNS BOARD

Bengals to take B.J. Raji

onefellswoop7

B.J. Raji -DL

SI.com reports that Boston College DT B.J. Raji failed a drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

The drug is undisclosed, but Raji allegedly tested positive for marijuana during his senior season. Raji will immediately go into the NFL's drug program, but it's hard to know how badly this affects his stock. It undoubtedly sends up a red flag. Raji missed all of '07 due to academic issues, and it shows irresponsibility that he'd be using drugs at such an important time in his life.

Source: SI.com

per www.rotoworld.com

Sounds like he would fit in nicely. ZING!

B.J. Raji -DL

SI.com reports that Boston College DT B.J. Raji failed a drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

The drug is undisclosed, but Raji allegedly tested positive for marijuana during his senior season. Raji will immediately go into the NFL's drug program, but it's hard to know how badly this affects his stock. It undoubtedly sends up a red flag. Raji missed all of '07 due to academic issues, and it shows irresponsibility that he'd be using drugs at such an important time in his life.

Source: SI.com

per www.rotoworld.com

Sounds like he would fit in nicely!

Actually, there is a lot of Buzz that KC wants to build their new defense around a stud NT and they could take Raji over

Curry.

ah well...made me laugh.

There is also plenty of buzz down here closer to Cinci about them taking Raji if he gets to number 6. Seems to be OL or DL for them. Which would actually be smart...assuming they choose the right guy and he isn't a thug. Which is assuming quite a bit actually...

Guest Aloysius
Actually, there is a lot of Buzz that KC wants to build their new defense around a stud NT and they could take Raji over Curry.

Not gonna happen, especially after this. Seriously, do you think Pioli's idea of building a Patriot Way franchise includes using your top draft pick on a pothead?

Raji's got immense potential, especially in a 4-3 defense. But I don't think Pioli's willing to take the risk that he won't toke or chunk his way out of the league.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, people shouldn't forget how dominant Raji was last year. It's amazing to watch a guy who's Pat Williams' size but rushes the passer like Kevin Williams. If he truly dedicates himself and keeps his weight down, he'll be a great player.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of reasons to doubt whether he'll do that. One area where the Sapp comparison may break down is that - if I'm not mistaken - Sapp was dominant for more than one season. Raji, on the other hand, was good in '06, but he didn't keep his weight down and play at quite the same level he did this year.

The draft may have given him that extra motivation; if you draft him high, you may get the guy he was in '06, plus the constant threat of a league-imposed drug suspension.

With all of this history his contract is going to include some protection for the team in the event he gets suspended.

Someone will take a chance in round one, but I'm guessing he's in the teens now.

That's assuming it was only pot. I don't care about that per se, only that it could lead to a suspension. If it's something else he's doing I wouldn't draft him at all.

Archived