THE BROWNS BOARD

People of Color

As I've stated before, I am not a movie person and probably haven't been to the theater in a couple of years (my loss).

This being said, I am really in the dark when folks like Spike Lee, and others, talk about boycotting the Academy Awards due to the lack of POC nomintated for awards.

This IS NOT designed for racial ranting and raving. It is an honest question.

In your humble opinion what POC could of or should have been nominated.

Steve is our resident expert but others appear to know their way around a movie screen.

I hate the term people of color. First it's the same as colored people and second it's factually inaccurate. People of African descent have probably the least diversity of color among them.

That being said, nobody did anything particularly great this year did they? Nominating black people for mediocre projects just because they're black is pretty demeaning. That's like saying black exceptionalism is mediocre.

I think it's a piece of shit brother John. Spike Lee has made a career out of race baiting.

I saw a bit on one of those two Comedy Central fake political shows crying about all the black snobs in the upcoming Oscars. I didn't see one that I felt turned in an outstanding performance as an actor or director.

Most were never heard of and neither were the movies they were in but one made laugh out loud and that was Michael Jordan's son in Creed.

He surprise me by turning in a respectable performance because he got the job really because of his old band. He wasn't great, hardly Oscar worthy, but he was better than I expected. Like Mark Wahlberg. He's done a few things pretty well but nothing worth an Oscar.

To be fair I haven't seen many of these box office bombs with supposing wonderful negro performances.

If I had to bet there have been many more Afrocentric films that have gotten more attention than they should over the past couple decades than vice versa.

WSS

I know the one thing that is being said is that Will Smith was snubbed for his role in Concussion. At least his wife thinks so.

Not having seen the movie because the subject matter bores me, I have no basis to conclude if his performance was Oscar worthy or not. He has done very good stuff in the past.

Others who have seen that movie should inform us.

Ironically Will Smith was nominated twice for Ali and the pursuit of happiness. He lost both times. He lost to Denzel Washington and Forest Whitaker.

WSS

Should Hispanic and Asians have complained about that? Particularly Hispanic:

Race / Ethnicity Number Percentage of

U.S. population

Americans 308,745,538 100.0 %

Non-Hispanic White 196,817,552 63.7 %

Non-Hispanic Black 37,685,848 12.2 %

Non-Hispanic Asian 14,465,124 4.7 %

Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native 2,247,098 0.7 %

Non-Hispanic Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 481,576 0.2 %

Non-Hispanic some other race 604,265 0.2 %

Non-Hispanic two or more races 5,966,481 1.9 %