THE BROWNS BOARD

We wanted Cutler, says NFP.

Guest mz.

If true, this says a lot about how Mangini feels about Quinn AND DA.

The Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns were both major players in the race to acquire former Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, sources have informed the National Football Post.

While the Bears won the Cutler sweepstakes, we have heard that the Browns and Redskins were in the hunt until the end, ultimately losing out when Chicago offered two first-round picks, in addition to quarterback Kyle Orton.

More on this story as it develops.

via here

Soooooooooo, I'm guessing our "QB of the Future" isn't yet on the roster.

I'm guessing that is pure speculation based on zero facts. Like every other BS rumor. Teams don't kiss and tell about trade talks or they get branded and black balled.

When I see some facts or acknowledgement from our organization then I'll believe it.

Why not discuss the very real possibility that Mangini/Kokinis don't like either of the guys we have rather than just dissing a source?

If you're waiting for the browns to say "yep, we tried to unload Quinn for Cutler b/c we hate both of our current QB's" you'll be waiting a long long time. We don't have a McDaniels here...

Hey I have no problem with them looking, cause if we could have gotten Cutler and picks our way then I would have been open to it a bit more. But to sell the farm for him and give up on Quinn who has not done anything to warrant saying he is the future or he is not the future. Nothing wrong with looking to see if we can get value out of either QB.

Guest Aloysius

If we were involved, that would show that the Mangini-Belichick blood feud doesn't extend to McDaniels, at least when it comes to negotiating potential trades. That could prove important if Denver wants to move up to get Mark Sanchez.

If we were involved, that would show that the Mangini-Belichick blood feud doesn't extend to McDaniels, at least when it comes to negotiating potential trades. That could prove important if Denver wants to move up to get Mark Sanchez.

Agreed. It is also very likely that the Browns "involvement" was as a 3rd party for the Redskins (we brought the QB).

Soooooooooo, I'm guessing our "QB of the Future" isn't yet on the roster.

It's what I have been saying....new coaches usually mean a new QB.

Why not discuss the very real possibility that Mangini/Kokinis don't like either of the guys we have rather than just dissing a source?

If you're waiting for the browns to say "yep, we tried to unload Quinn for Cutler b/c we hate both of our current QB's" you'll be waiting a long long time. We don't have a McDaniels here...

Theres always the possibility mankok doesnt like either one but theres more a possibility they are posturing and just testing the waters to keep us and others guessing...now that cutler is going to chicago it could definately up DAs trade value since he is similar in style to cutler.. i suspect mangini already has a good idea who he will start he just needs to see him in the huddle to confirm bq has the said intangibles which he does...;)

We should keep in mind however mangini is known to suck at handling quarterbacks so anything can happen..

More then just hating a qb or just wanting a qb to call their own i think it usually comes down to the coach wanting a fundamentally different style of play from the existing qb which of course potentially has some problems like with mcdaniels and cutler the fact is what mcdaniels would want cutler to do cutler couldnt do and he knows it..

Quinn on the otherhand can do what mangini wants maybe better then anyone else available and maybe not im not going to be mad if they give quinn the nod and he sucks but i and thousands of other fans will be pissed if they dont give bq a fair shot its not like we are going anywhere this year lets see what the kid has..

It is also very likely that the Browns "involvement" was as a 3rd party for the Redskins (we brought the QB).

The "source" stuff doesn't make it sound that way, but even if that was the case, what does that say about our QB situation?

Just because we may not have wanted Cutler doesn't mean we don't want a new QB overall.

Does not mean we do want a new one either, could just have been we were fishing to see if we could come out ahead on this situation.

from Rotoworld:

The Bears reportedly beat out the Redskins and Browns to land Jay Cutler.

Both teams were said to be in on talks until the very end before losing out to the Bears. The Browns likely offered Brady Quinn and draft picks while the 'Skins reportedly were trying to move Jason Campbell to a third team in order to broker a deal.

Report: Cleveland Browns offered Brady Quinn to Denver in failed bid for Jay Cutler

by Mary Kay Cabot/Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday April 02, 2009, 8:18 PM

Chuck Crow/PD

Brady Quinn was offered to Denver in a failed bid to acquire Jay Cutler, according to some published reports.CLEVELAND -- The Browns were involved in three-way trade talks Thursday that would've sent quarterback Brady Quinn to Denver, the Washington Examiner reported.

The deal involved the Broncos, Redskins and Browns, and the source said it was close to happening at one point during the day. Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who ended up being traded to Chicago, told a CBS affiliate in Denver that he was headed to Washington.

But the source said the deal involving the Browns unraveled, prompting Chicago to get back in the game and outbid the other players. The source said Denver's preferences for a quarterback were Quinn and then Chicago's Kyle Orton, who was part of the trade.

Denver also received Chicago's first-round picks this year and next year and a third-rounder in 2009. The Bears also received a fifth-rounder along with Cutler. The Broncos were not that high on Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell, according to the source.

Neither Quinn nor his agent, Tom Condon, immediately returned messages seeking comment. Details of the Browns' offer were not immediately available.

I think they were trying to see if we could end up with more picks in the end, they wanted to see if Bronco's would over pay for Quinn

I'm curious about Pluto, he mentions Cutler is a major talent, and it seems he thought 25 TDs to 18 Ints was a good thing. What did he say about DA after the '07 season in regards to his 29-19 ratio?

He did say the Browns ought to make a choice between those two and build an offense, but that the choice wasn't as critical as other needs the team has... I agree with him on that.

Archived