THE BROWNS BOARD

Proper Policy

The Gipper

The Big Ten has adopted a policy for future scheduling for all of its teams:

A. Teams to have a 12 game schedule.

B. Conference games to be increased from 8 to 9.

C. One of the OOC games must be against another P5 conference team.

D. NO games to be schedule other than against other FBS teams.

Shouldn't all of the P5 conferences adopt the same requirement?

If you have no problem with the P5 as a sort of break away group of 'premier' conferences/divisions then that works. I'm not saying I would have a problem, but it certainly does cement the position of the P5 and makes it next to impossible for other conferences and programs to compete for say the rankings.

If you have no problem with the P5 as a sort of break away group of 'premier' conferences/divisions then that works. I'm not saying I would have a problem, but it certainly does cement the position of the P5 and makes it next to impossible for other conferences and programs to compete for say the rankings.

What I think needs to happen is for the P5 conferences to expand. Each of them I think should be like 16 teams. That would make 80 top programs....which should certainly be sufficient. So, some of those schools that are now in the so called "lower" D1 conferences would be elevated. Take a portion of the AAC and Conf USA schools and put them into the P5. Clearly the likes of Houston, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. could fit

Then that would leave the teams in the MAC/Sun Belt/MWC level to play themselves....though, yes, they would be fodder for those two non P5 games that would be scheduled.

What I think needs to happen is for the P5 conferences to expand. Each of them I think should be like 16 teams. That would make 80 top programs....which should certainly be sufficient. So, some of those schools that are now in the so called "lower" D1 conferences would be elevated. Take a portion of the AAC and Conf USA schools and put them into the P5. Clearly the likes of Houston, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. could fit

Then that would leave the teams in the MAC/Sun Belt/MWC level to play themselves....though, yes, they would be fodder for those two non P5 games that would be scheduled.

I like it, but it would be better if you had flexibility to move a good team up to the P5 and a bad team down (kind of like in soccer here).

Suppose you have 8 conferences (or 6, or 4, or whatever) covering the entire nation. These each represent the top 12 or 16 schools in each geographical area (probably done by population size to avoid bias). Then each year, the top team from each conference goes in to a playoff for the national champ. You could take second place teams, and third, and have various levels of 'bowl' playoffs like currently, but it would be much more structured.

I like it, but it would be better if you had flexibility to move a good team up to the P5 and a bad team down (kind of like in soccer here).

Yea, the concept of relegation is just something that would likely never be accepted here.....though in theory it has merit.

Suppose you have 8 conferences (or 6, or 4, or whatever) covering the entire nation. These each represent the top 12 or 16 schools in each geographical area (probably done by population size to avoid bias). Then each year, the top team from each conference goes in to a playoff for the national champ. You could take second place teams, and third, and have various levels of 'bowl' playoffs like currently, but it would be much more structured.

Well, that is sort of what is happening now....its just that one of those conferences is being shut out. This past year we had the champs from the Big Ten, ACC, SEC, and Big 12 in the playoffs....but no Pac 10 team

Last year we had the champs of the Big 10, ACC, SEC, and Pac 10, but no Big 12.

Playoff expansion proposals to 8 teams would likely give automatic bids to those conferences, plus 3 wild cards.

The rest of the teams are then "relegated" to doing a bowl game.

Archived