THE BROWNS BOARD

How does the Cutler trade effect the Browns?

WPB Dawg Fan

So, we now know where Cutler is going to be next year...but the REAL question is...How does this effect the Browns?

Draft

Simply put, we now want the Lions to pick Stafford at #1. With Stafford off the board it leaves the remainder of the QB needy teams in a position where they have to SERIOUSLY consider trading up to get Sanchez...or to make a TOP trade offer to acquire one of the remaining QB's rumored to be on the market (read DA and BQ).

Combine that with the probable fall of BJ Raji due to his rumored failed drug test at the combine (that is strike one, another and he is suspended)...and it makes the likelihood that Sanchez makes it out of the top 8 picks pretty slim. Which makes our position at #5 pretty enviable.

Keep in mind that Ortan is only signed for 1 year...so the Broncos (12 and 18) may still be in the market for a QB in the draft (or one of ours).

Trade

DA and BQ's value has just risen...a TON. We now have 2 of the top 4 QB's available and if the Lions take Stafford....2 of the top 3. Sanchez will NOT make it past 10 if the Lions take Stafford, which means that the Jets, Bucs and any other team looking will likely be willing to trade for one of our guys. This scenario may have just made that trade worth a 1st rounder from any of them.

Another interesting scenario arising out of this is the Bears sudden need to obtain a top WR outside of the draft. They may not have a lot to trade...but if the Browns are really shopping BE...his trade value just went up as well.

Would anyone take the Bronco's #12 for Quinn and take Say Sanchez with #5 and Ray with #12? I don't think I would. Just curious.

Guest Aloysius

Don't forget about Josh Freeman. The Jets or Bucs may take him in the 1st Round.

But as Mike Mayock said on NFL Network, Mark Sanchez is the only QB in the draft that fits McDaniels' offense.

Guest Aloysius
I like the idea of Denver trading #12 and #18 for #5. The point value works out I believe.

According to the new draft trade chart, the #5 (1,700 points) and the #50 (400) have equal value to the 12th (1,200) and 18th (900) picks.

Not sure I'd like that trade, tho.

According to the new draft trade chart, the #5 (1,700 points) and the #50 (400) have equal value to the 12th (1,200) and 18th (900) picks.

I didn't think 12 and 18 for 5 sounded right, either...

Here's where I'm at, not that anyone asked:

If we decide either Quinn or DA is the QB of the (near) future, either trade down or select Crabtree (as Curry's gone).

If we decide that neither is the QB for us, take Sanchez. Trading one (esp. DA) isn't enough for us to take Sanchez. Sanchez and Quinn on the Browns makes zero sense, Sanchez and DA on the roster makes better sense.

that's a really tough call. ultimately, i'd rather get the two second-tier first-round players that we could get by making the trade than have one first-tier guy and a third or fourth-tier guy.

however, if we could wrangle an extra fifth or sixth out of the broncs in this scenario, i'd be all about it.

I was looking at the same thing...but keep in mind...the Browns would not be the ones pursuing this trade...so it would be on the Broncos to make it worth our while.

In other words....I bet we can get the 12 and 18 for our #5 and say our 4th rounder...which I would do in a heartbeat....or maybe our 3rd from 2010.

So, we now know where Cutler is going to be next year...but the REAL question is...How does this effect the Browns?

Draft

Simply put, we now want the Lions to pick Stafford at #1. With Stafford off the board it leaves the remainder of the QB needy teams in a position where they have to SERIOUSLY consider trading up to get Sanchez...or to make a TOP trade offer to acquire one of the remaining QB's rumored to be on the market (read DA and BQ).

Combine that with the probable fall of BJ Raji due to his rumored failed drug test at the combine (that is strike one, another and he is suspended)...and it makes the likelihood that Sanchez makes it out of the top 8 picks pretty slim. Which makes our position at #5 pretty enviable.

Keep in mind that Ortan is only signed for 1 year...so the Broncos (12 and 18) may still be in the market for a QB in the draft (or one of ours).

Trade

DA and BQ's value has just risen...a TON. We now have 2 of the top 4 QB's available and if the Lions take Stafford....2 of the top 3. Sanchez will NOT make it past 10 if the Lions take Stafford, which means that the Jets, Bucs and any other team looking will likely be willing to trade for one of our guys. This scenario may have just made that trade worth a 1st rounder from any of them.

Another interesting scenario arising out of this is the Bears sudden need to obtain a top WR outside of the draft. They may not have a lot to trade...but if the Browns are really shopping BE...his trade value just went up as well.

WPB... Very good analysis here.. Thumbs up.. We do appear to be in a pretty good spot. The real trick would be to Trade DA for a 2nd or 3rd to someone. AND....AND get someone to trade up into the 5 spot and give us some more picks...

I dont like that but I would do there 1, 2, and 4 for our 1

#5 = 1700

12# - 1200

48# - 420

114# - 66 = 1686

*edit to make easier to understand*

Trade

As much as I want to see what Quinn can do, if any team came knocking offering two firsts and a third I do that deal in a heartbeat. :)

Now that Jay Cutler has been traded, it opens up some more options for us in a couple of ways. For starters, it makes some of the teams who want a qb more desperate to trade with us. People who need a qb are running out of options and may not want to join in on the Stafford/Sanchez sweepstakes. This makes both of our qb's trade stock go way up. With the Broncos getting such a ridiculous deal for Cutler, a qb with a below .500 record and zero playoff appearances, the price for Brady and Da went up. There is no way that we will get anything close to that for either one, but it is possible that we could receive a high 2nd round pick for one or possibly, although it is very unlikely, a low 1st round pick. We can now ask for more that that Denver got away with robbery with Chicago.

Another thing that this opens up is the possibility to trade down for more picks. Now that there is another team in the Stafford/Sanchez sweepstakes that wasn't there before, there will be more teams looking to trade up to get either one of them. This is great for us because calls will be coming in to trade taht pick for a mid first round pick and good second round pick. Now that Denver has two first round picks, the 12th and the 18th, I can easily see them trading down to the 5th pick for one of those plus a 2nd round pick. Look for other teams to do the same as well.

Although this trade does piss me off because it puts huge value on a guy that doesn't deserve it, it makes me glad to see we could benefit greatly from it. I just hope the other teams come calling.

I'd take Denver's 12 and 18 for the 5. They get Sanchez and we get another pick in a deep draft, plus get out of paying top 5 money. Sounds like a ManKok move to me.

Denver just got 2 firsts for Cutler, no way are they getting rid of them. Chicago was desperate and it showed with what they gave up. I think Sanchez will be their at 12.

Talent level for playmakers drops off after pick 3 selling a 5 is only vaguely possible. I would like to see an offensive pick that can score touchdowns but i think as long as we get a player that is a starter in game 1 we'll be doing just fine.

= I think Sanchez will be their at 12.

i thought the same a month ago but not anymore. the closer the draft is the more teams start panicking about not having a qb. if some of these teams who need a qb aren't able to get one through the trade, they will look to the draft to fill their needs. they are being pressured to get a qb and will do anything to get one if they want one bad enough. i honestly now see the browns getting calls to trade that pick for a lower 1st rounder and another pick somewhere. the other teams' panicking will be too much to resist for our front office.

Archived