THE BROWNS BOARD

Winslow would pick Quinn

OconRecon

Winslow endorses Quinn, sees Edwards leaving

By Steve Doerschuk

CantonRep.com staff report

Posted Apr 03, 2009 @ 09:56 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-Browns are going where current Browns dare not go, stirring the pot in another budding quarterback controversy.

A day after Willie McGinest said Derek Anderson deserves the starting nod over Brady Quinn, Kellen Winslow Jr. took the other side during a Sirius radio interview.

“Just give (Quinn) a chance,” said Winslow, who was traded to the Buccaneers last month. “He is a leader. He is coming into his own. I really don’t get what’s the hard decision up there. My choice would be Brady Quinn.

“I love Derek Anderson. Great quarterback. It just didn’t work out.”

Winslow had a fitful 2008, having just one special game. It happened to be in Quinn’s first NFL start Nov. 6 against the Broncos. Winslow caught 10 passes for 111 yards, but Quinn lost a shootout against Jay Cutler.

“(Quinn) has tremendous upside,” Winslow said. “Very calm, very mature and, I mean, give the guy a chance. What’s the big deal? I really don’t get it. This guy is coming in ... he has worked his tail off.

“I bet you he is there working out right now.”

Winslow wasn’t finished.

“I don’t know if he is the better quarterback, I am just saying I think he is the guy for the future,” Winslow said. “That is all I am saying. Derek Anderson is a great quarterback. Don’t get me wrong. He’s a Pro Bowler.

“I just think the quarterback of the future is Brady Quinn. And he has tremendous upside, and that’s just my personal opinion.”

Winslow also opined on whether he thinks Braylon Edwards will be a Brown in 2009.

“For some reason, I don’t,” Winslow said. “I know Braylon would love to go to New York. The Giants would fit him to the T, and he would have so much fun up there. I know he loves Cleveland, but New York would be a great fit for him.

“He would love it there. He’s a city guy and, yeah, I know he would love it there.”

“(Quinn) has tremendous upside,” Winslow said. “Very calm, very mature and, I mean, give the guy a chance. What’s the big deal? I really don’t get it.

Really, this is the most succinct argument I've heard.

What's the big deal about giving a #1 pick a shot? I really don't get it either.

Really, this is the most succinct argument I've heard.

What's the big deal about giving a #1 pick a shot? I really don't get it either.

You are talking about a regime that has no attachment to that #1 pick. They didn't make it. Savage did.

Now I'm not saying the Browns shouldn't start Quinn. I think they should.

But you can't sit there and attach Quinn as a #1 pick to Mangini/Kokinis like you did Savage.

I couldnt agree more with kw2 BQ is a first rounder just rotting away he is ready to take over and prove himself but will he ever get the chance in cleveland or are we going to have to sit back in a pissed off state of mind as he burns the league up for some other team..

BQ has to be at the end of his rope browns fan or not he has to be questioning this fruity organization personally i would have already ask for a trade after all the crap they have put him through with no start until DA got hurt last year then fats gives him the start this year and now more undeserved crap from mankok...

Dont get me wrong here i do think mankok is entitled to have a qb derby to find out what they need to know about poise and leadership of both guys but from quinns point of view this has to be getting old...

You are talking about a regime that has no attachment to that #1 pick. They didn't make it. Savage did.

Now I'm not saying the Browns shouldn't start Quinn. I think they should.

But you can't sit there and attach Quinn as a #1 pick to Mangini/Kokinis like you did Savage.

It doesn't make sense to me, though. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady aren't 'their guys'. Surely they wouldn't throw those guys aside?

You've got a guy who has as good of qualities as either of the above, and you won't give him a chance because he isn't the guy you picked?

Jesus, the egos in the NFL. I thought Mangini was above that.

Winslow: Quinn Should Start For Browns

NFL.com - Tight end Kellen Winslow, who the Browns traded to the Buccaneers in February, believes that Brady Quinn should be Cleveland's starting quarterback.

"I would say Brady Quinn," Winslow said when asked who should be the team's starter by The Dayton Daily News.

"I love Derek Anderson. Great quarterback. It just didn't work out. Brady Quinn is coming in, he has tremendous upside. Very calm, very mature and, I mean, give the guy a chance. What's the big deal? I really don't get it. This guy is coming in, he has worked his tail off. I bet you he is there working out right now. Just give him a chance. He is a leader, he is coming into his own. I really don't get what's the hard decision up there. My choice would be Brady Quinn

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/10/winslow-we...qb-controversy/

This is a QB controversy that needs to go away for the sake of team unity, I agree with Winslow.

Winslow: Quinn Should Start For Browns

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/10/winslow-we...qb-controversy/

This is a QB controversy that needs to go away for the sake of team unity, I agree with Winslow.

The only QB controversy is the one being trumped up by the media, so chill out.

No Team with a QB controversy has ever won a SB.

There will be open competition for the job, and DA needs to be traded for whatever we can get. We don need another year of this shit. We drafted BQ and have been waited for 2 years now to see if he can lead us. K2 someone who knows football and holds a good pedigree should hold some clout, especially when he has had to put up with this shit for 2 years. He no longer is a Browns player and is speaking some truth here.

So dont blow this off as hype.

Quinns gone in two weeks, hate to break your hearts.

DA our QB for 2009.

And your rationale/link to an article is....

Gotta love the offseason. Every xxxxing idiot has a xxxxing idiotic and worthless opinion. I just need to stay out of here from the end of the first free agent signing period until Goddell tells me who the Lions are drafting...

I also think BQ should start but what makes you think that he has the same qualities as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? Think you have Green colored glasses on. Give hom his shot, I agree. But, with what some of you are saying anything short of TB or PM numbers would mean disappointment. Maybe I am in the minority, but I just don't see it.

It doesn't make sense to me, though. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady aren't 'their guys'. Surely they wouldn't throw those guys aside?

You've got a guy who has as good of qualities as either of the above, and you won't give him a chance because he isn't the guy you picked?

Jesus, the egos in the NFL. I thought Mangini was above that.

Mangini didn't change QBs when he was named Jets coach and there is nothing to say he isn't willing to build this team around Quinn. New coaches don't change QBs unless the team they are going to doesn't have one or has one that's over-the-hill. QBs are the heart of the team and other players follow them.

Don't look for Mangini to rebuild this team from the ground up, it isn't his style. He gets rid of underachievers and locker room cancers and brings in productive veterans that are leaders and looks to build teams through the draft. Don't look for high impact FA signings with Mangini. Look for trading down to get more picks. Trading veterans that don't want to be here to get picks. And, look for him to come out of this draft with extra picks for next year.

If you look, he isn't starting over. The lines are basically still intact. The QB and RBs are still the same. The DBs are still here, except for Jones. The only player he traded was Winslow, who wanted a new contract, was suspect to career ending injury and whined in the locker room. TE was also the only position where we had good depth. The others that left were FAs and most were underachievers at positions needing upgraded or guys with injury history that you have to think hard about giving new contracts to.

Mangini isn't starting over, he is purging and reloading.

I hope K2s peircings have healed :P

Me too. :D

I think Quinn looks good. They should definitely start him over Anderson. He just looks so much better out there.

edit:I think the moderators must have combined some threads, I'll do the same with my post.

[You guys would look so much better out there if Quinn was your QB.]

If Winslow knows anything it's football, it's like a fish knows water. When he speaks people always seem to listen and he chose to weigh in on this for one reason or another, so for all your sakes I hope Mangini the ball-boy has his ears on.

They ain't selling no Anderson Fat Heads, that's for sure.

Me too. :D

I think Quinn looks good. They should definitely start him over Anderson. He just looks so much better out there.

wow. just wow.

your teeth have got to be so buck they probably double as lip-rests. i'll be sure to call Tampa, maybe Garcia might want to reconsider knowing your "incentives" are now directed their way.

or maybe it's just yikes.

wow. just wow.

your teeth have got to be so buck they probably double as lip-rests. i'll be sure to call Tampa, maybe Garcia might want to reconsider knowing your "incentives" are now directed their way.

or maybe it's just yikes.

Actually they are, but you don't have to get nasty. I'm sure I could find some things to say about you if you weren't hiding behind some disgusting picture. So why don't you show yourself tuffy?

Actually they are, but you don't have to get nasty. I'm sure I could find some things to say about you if you weren't hiding behind some disgusting picture. So why don't you show yourself tuffy?

uh no. anonymity is a preference i embrace, not men like you. welcome to my ignore list fruitball.

All the worries over who's the starting QB will be put to rest when Mangini has the 2 QBs on the roster take turns running the 2 minute drill with the starting offense in camp. Board members would pay $$ to see that.

(If they both make it to camp.) Trades do happen. I don't believe anyone will offer enough to get the Domer (Quinn) and their isn't enough interest in the probowler (Anderson).

Means we'll probably see the QB competition happen.

Daboll will certainly have enough time to setup plays that will take advantage of each QB's strong points. Before then, people simply need to remember that if Mangini or Kokinis didn't say it, it probably isn't true.

That means that the Plain Dealer is probably overstaffed on the "Browns Beat". Mary Kay should be reassigned to cover the dog show or the cosmetics convention and Tony needs to learn what discretion is.

Remember, the KW2 trade occurred w/o any warning. KW2 used to catch passes from both QBs so his opinion does have value. He is entitled to it. But, he isn't a Brown any more. Best of luck to him.

Mangini didn't change QBs when he was named Jets coach and there is nothing to say he isn't willing to build this team around Quinn. New coaches don't change QBs unless the team they are going to doesn't have one or has one that's over-the-hill. QBs are the heart of the team and other players follow them.

Don't look for Mangini to rebuild this team from the ground up, it isn't his style. He gets rid of underachievers and locker room cancers and brings in productive veterans that are leaders and looks to build teams through the draft. Don't look for high impact FA signings with Mangini. Look for trading down to get more picks. Trading veterans that don't want to be here to get picks. And, look for him to come out of this draft with extra picks for next year.

If you look, he isn't starting over. The lines are basically still intact. The QB and RBs are still the same. The DBs are still here, except for Jones. The only player he traded was Winslow, who wanted a new contract, was suspect to career ending injury and whined in the locker room. TE was also the only position where we had good depth. The others that left were FAs and most were underachievers at positions needing upgraded or guys with injury history that you have to think hard about giving new contracts to.

The silly thing about this post... Some people actually think the Browns had a "starting" Quarterback at the end of last year. They had a QB that showed one game of flash, yet overall didn't do well, but didn't do all that poorly either in DA, a QB that showed one game of flash but didn't do all that well or poorly in his remaining play in BQ, and a couple of other guys who were essentially roster fillers.

You've got idiots who've been saying "this is" so and so's team, but you know what, they've been saying that since summer of '07 and they've yet to be proven right.

The QB thing is still wide open, it could even be someone not currently on the roster. The Coach inherited no clear starter.

I couldn't of said it any better. I feel Winslow was trying to squash all the debate and give his endorsement to Quinn. What better person than an X TE from the Browns to give alittle insight on who is the better QB.

I think that we can all remember numerous times that DA would chuck the ball up for grabs and K2 would have to fight or break off routes to try and either catch the ball mor play DB. I will miss K2 he is a football player and has a lot of heart for the game.

Archived