THE BROWNS BOARD

Risen Review

Risen

Columbia

PG -13. 107 min

Easter is upon us and with it, comes a holiday season much more somber Christmas. For most believers this is the seminal story of the origin of Christianity.

It is also time for Hollywood to haul out variations on the theme.

Just about every producer aims for a different angle on the same material and thankfully so. It's not like we don't already know the storyline and so far very few films have gotten ridiculous. I do say very few rather than none but you understand.

RISEN revolves around a lesser-known time period than we are used to. Probably the most popular is the rise to fame, the betrayal and the crucifixion. For some reason we seem to skim past the three days before the resurrection. Not here.

This time the hook, and an interesting one it is, concerns those three days.

Rather than being interred with the others, the corpse of Jesus has been taken away to a private tomb, sealed, as we we recall, by a huge stone. Prophts have told the Hebrews that he will rise within three days and should this happen it will not bode well for their Roman captors.

The Roman guards have a little too much wine or most likely slipped a celestial Mickey and in the morning of the third day lo and behold the stone is gone and the body vanished. Now Caesar himself is planning a trip to Judea to view the body and put to rest the superstitions of the Hebrew slaves. Pontius Pilate realizes without evidence his ass will be in a sling. I'm not sure that's the actual biblical verse but...

The prefect enlists a stoic Roman detective Clavius (Joseph Feinnes) to find the body at any cost and he sets forth to question anyone who might have knowledge. Mary Magdalene and the disciples are all grilled but it's becoming clearer and clearer to Clavius that unless everyone is crazy or lying that the Savior might still be alive.

Among the good things? The film looks wonderful, as Spain and Malta, I think, were used as locations. It's a very interesting angle on an often told story. On top of that Joseph Fiennes portrayal of Clavius is subdued but riveting and Cliff Curtis as the Nazarene has a charismatic sweetness that makes the role believable.

The downside? The innovative plot isn't put together as well as it should have been as interview after interview with suspect lie a little bit flat. Even after Clavius has begun to believe in the prophecy it's not very exciting or captivating.

I'm afraid I can't give it more than a slightly above average grade but for some reason I would recommend this one.

Hedging my bets for a future meeting at the Pearly Gates? You decide.

C+

WSS

I haven't seen the movie and some Christians will find flaws in their opinion when it comes to the crucifixion. Mainly because the first four books of the New Testament are synoptic meaning they tell the same story by four different witnesses. Maybe this is the verse in question mr Steve.

Matt 27 1-2

Oops Steve that isn't it. I'll find it later.

Hey I'm just giving my opinion on a moving picture not posting of theological essay.

:)

The only time I consulted my fundamentalist preacher friend about their religious film was NOAH.

WSS

WSS

I understand WSS. I was trying to remember the verse in question.

Archived