THE BROWNS BOARD

Leroy Kelly deserves a statue

calfoxwc

When I was kid, I was all about admiring Leroy Kelly... always admired players

with greatness, and a TON of heart. Loved watching him play - he used to be

a defensive back as well as running back early in his career.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/07/cleveland_browns_100_best_all-_56.html

He amazed me with his versatility of moves. And he was an excellent human being

off the field, always has been. Never was a jerk on or off the field. He was one

one of those Browns on my all-time favorites list. When he had the ball, he was

fascinating to watch. And he blocked as tough as anybody - was the complete team

player, and a great one at that.

Leroy Kelly deserves a statue. He played 100 percent every time he was on the field.

THAT always inspired me.

"The 6-0 Kelly, who would play most of his Browns career at 200 pounds or so, showed much potential as a kickoff and put returner. But he did much more. He was aggressive and a jarring tackler on the punt and kickoff coverage teams.

In fact, Kelly was a key contributor to the Browns' 1964 championship team even though he ran the football just six times and didn't catch a pass. He and another rookie, Walter "The Flea" Roberts, formed a dynamic duo on kickoff and punt returns. Most teams set up two players as returners on kicks back then. For Kelly's part, he brought back 24 kickoffs for a 24.3-yard average and nine punts for a 19-yard average. His 68-yard punt return for a touchdown gave the Browns a 7-6 lead in the second quarter of their 42-20 win over the New York Giants on Oct. 25 in Cleveland.

If any teams kept defensive special teams statistics in those days, they're not available. Such information would no doubt show that Kelly made his fair share of plays, because he took a relentless path toward the football. He didn't get his hands on the ball as a returner or on offense in the 27-0 championship game win over the Baltimore Colts on Dec. 27 in Cleveland, but made his presence known on kickoff and punt coverage. "

Yes and lets get the ball boy and the bathroom janitor a statue too...

All kidding aside.. I loved LeRoy Kelly and He's one of the major reasons I became a Browns fan.. He was the teams returner on special teams. He once received the ball and literally stumbled his way between the teams twenties.. It was a thing of awe to see an athlete run so low to the ground with that kind of body control.

I dont know that he gets a statue though...Paul Brown and Jim Brown were one of a kind.

How 'bout a bobblehead?

Kind of goes without saying.. how about a row of Busts of all the greats in a special concourse...

A bobbledhead for Jim Brown?

Sounds like what he did back in the day with women?

bobbled their heads with his hands on them, or what? I never liked Jim Brown as a person back then.

Leroy Kelly was my football hero back then, and my all time favorite rb.

The first number I wore as a child in competitive football was #44 and Leroy Kelly was the reason.

Mine was 66 Gene Hickerson

We have an amazing legacy of great players. I say replace the statue of liberty with a giant statue of Otto Graham so everyone who comes to this country knows exactly what being a winner is all about.

I would love an Otto Graham statue. And Curtis Weathers.

Z

Lol at Curtis Weathers.. I actually liked Clarence Weathers.. we was an ok receiver for us...

Mine was 66 Gene Hickerson

Ditto...

Kind of goes without saying.. how about a row of Busts of all the greats in a special concourse...

Seems like old Muni had a Browns HOF room... Does CBS?

Lol at Curtis Weathers.. I actually liked Clarence Weathers.. we was an ok receiver for us...

Yep, although he was the fourth receiver, behind Slaughter, Langhorne and Brennan, he always seem to be involved in the big games and make clutch plays.

Yep, although he was the fourth receiver, behind Slaughter, Langhorne and Brennan, he always seem to be involved in the big games and make clutch plays.

Damn I wish we had a big , Physical, Fluid receiver like that on our roster today.. Oh wait.. we do.. his name is "Flash" And hes been put on hold...

Ditto...

Seems like old Muni had a Browns HOF room... Does CBS?

The only thing First Enema Stadium has is , the ring of honor , I believe.

I am walking through a lot of bullshit today. Some of it from my friends.

One guy said the first "player jersey he wore was Leroy Kelly and another said Gene Hickerson.

The NFL did not have replica jerseys for sale in the days of Hickerson an Leroy Kelly. Nor in the days of Jim Brown, Frank Ryan or Gary Collins. The very first replica jerseys available by the NFL didn't show up until the early 70's, and were only available for the very, very top eschalon positions, QBs for sure. But that was about it.

None of you ever wore a Kelly or Hickerson jersey unless of course your Mom made it herself. i would defy anyone to show me a picture of a player replica Jersey in 1965. They just didn't exist.

Go to Ebay and find us 1965 replica jerseys. Again, there never was such a thing.

Well smarty pants.. I had 66 and My brother had Kellys number 44.. they were kids Browns unis..not official Jerseys.. :P

I had a "44" Brown and Orange kids jersey. It was not officially licensed, didn't say NFL or Kelly on it. But it was my Leroy Kelly jersey and I wore it every day playing football in the front yard. This was the early 70's, Mom got it at the Millcreek Mall in Erie, because there was no Browns stuff up in the Allegheny forest, just bear shit, deer shit and Steeler shit.

Zombo

I had one, the local print shop made it, it was what I wanted for

Christmas ! They put the "44" on it, it looked like a Browns jersey,

and I put "KELLY" on the back, they didn't because of copyright whatever..

, It was Brown, with the white and orange

stripes on the sleeves. I kept gluing on the letters, and they fell off

when I washed it. which wasn't unless it was sweaty in the summer -

would have had it sewed, but the letters always stood out real nice after

I redid it...

The NFL never came after me. I didn't do it for profit, ya know.

Archived