THE BROWNS BOARD

Best modern guitarist

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus Gipper lawyer much? You can name as many as you want as long as they're not the sainted 60s and 70s guys. Even the van Halen heyday was 30 years ago. Just because you don't like a topic and it's not your idea doesn't make it stupid.

I didn't say it was stupid....I said it was silly because it was so esoteric. Nothing wrong with the question albeit very narrow. It just seems like you want to control the answers.

Exactly.....probably some of the very best aren't even in a known band per se and could just be studio studs.....being a drummer, I would use Hal Blaine as an example.....he never was the drummer in a famous band and very few people(except us drummers) even know who he is....

But....he is the most recorded drummer in history and even drummed on many albums for bands that had drummers.....just to make it right......including most of the hits from the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkle, Tony Bennet, Herb Alpert, John Denver, Barbara Striesand, The Monkees, The Supremes, Neil Diamond and hundreds of others.....

A few of the songs he played on were Mr. Tamborine man....Monday Monday....I got you Babe...Strangers in the night....The way we were....Love will keep us together....Good Vibrations....Bridge over troubled waters.....and hundreds more...

Same with Steve Gadd.....the best drummer EVER....yet, everyone is like....Steve who?......if you dont know him, think about that wicked opening shuffle on Paul Simons 50 ways to leave your lover.....or Steely Dans Aja.....or just about anything from Eric Clapton.....simply a drum god!

Many, including perhaps the likes of Hendrix, Townshend said that Phil Keaggy was the best guitarists they ever saw, better than them.

Yet he was NOT very well known. His band did not get that much overall attention: Glass Harp. But he got the attention of the top name guitarists of his age.

When Jimi Hendrix appeared on The Tonight Show (Flip Wilson was guest host) he was asked what it felt like to be the greatest guitarist in the world. His response supposedly was "I don't know, you'd have to ask Phil Keaggy that".

No I just want them to be in the last 25 years. I didn't shit on any answer you had that met the qualifications. We already know eddie van Halen is a virtuouso.

You have no ability to shit on any answer I give to any question anywhere ever.

As every answer I give is a pure pearl of wisdom and knowledge....and you would only be shitting on yourself by denying yourself such wisdom and knowledge.

So, think about that pilgrim.

Mud I think there have been a string of flashy drummers over the years you stand out in the bands they are in. People might not know Hal Blaine or Steve Gadd, but they know Neil Peart Keith Moon Carl Palmer Ginger Baker Mitch Mitchell Etc. I'm sure there are newer guys.

WSS

True....and, actually, a lot of the young modern era drummers have mad mad skills....so technically proficient its sickening....of course, they couldnt swing if they had too....but its a different time.....

You have no ability to shit on any answer I give to any question anywhere ever.

As every answer I give is a pure pearl of wisdom and knowledge....and you would only be shitting on yourself by denying yourself such wisdom and knowledge.

So, think about that pilgrim.

More like a pure nugget of shit coated in pearl Jam

Many, including perhaps the likes of Hendrix, Townshend said that Phil Keaggy was the best guitarists they ever saw, better than them.

Yet he was NOT very well known. His band did not get that much overall attention: Glass Harp. But he got the attention of the top name guitarists of his age.

When Jimi Hendrix appeared on The Tonight Show (Flip Wilson was guest host) he was asked what it felt like to be the greatest guitarist in the world. His response supposedly was "I don't know, you'd have to ask Phil Keaggy that".

saw an interview on guitar sessions the other night with chicago...they were asked when did you start getting noticed and one of the members said that they were playing at some small venue and they noticed hendrix was there watching them...hendrix came up to them and said quote...your guitar player is better than i am, how would you like to open for my band....from there the rest is history...the guitarist's name was terry kath who committed suicide in the early 80's i think..but i remember seeing them and never expected what i saw from him...the guy was fucking incredible...when you thought of chicago back in the early 70's it was their horns and harmonies and lyrics of course...but that just blew me away...

saw an interview on guitar sessions the other night with chicago...they were asked when did you start getting noticed and one of the members said that they were playing at some small venue and they noticed hendrix was there watching them...hendrix came up to them and said quote...your guitar player is better than i am, how would you like to open for my band....from there the rest is history...the guitarist's name was terry kath who committed suicide in the early 80's i think..but i remember seeing them and never expected what i saw from him...the guy was fucking incredible...when you thought of chicago back in the early 70's it was their horns and harmonies and lyrics of course...but that just blew me away...

He was a great vocalist too.....they had a few of them, so he didnt sing much, but he was my favorite of the 3....

and Danny Seraphine was another amazing and under appreciated drummer.....top of the heap in my books...

He was a great vocalist too.....they had a few of them, so he didnt sing much, but he was my favorite of the 3....

and Danny Seraphine was another amazing and under appreciated drummer.....top of the heap in my books...

great photo mud...makes me tear up a little...

I understand. I kind of agree with you but I don't think anybody can think of any modern guitar players that ring a bell.

Guitar virtuosos tend to fly under the radar in popular music.

I'll give it a little while, and if you still want I will take it down. You know what happens when the gipper gets involved.

;)

WSS

the best part is that its not a pic, its a video.....click the little arrow thingy for music..... ;)

i did, i just did not mention it....awesome, just simply awesome...here is a quick trivia question you probably know, but many people don't....what were they called before they became just chicago?

i did, i just did not mention it....awesome, just simply awesome...here is a quick trivia question you probably know, but many people don't....what were they called before they became just chicago?

Hmm,,,,,Im gonna say either The Transit Authority or Chicago Transit Authority....

Could you delete this thread steve? I'm disappointed in how it's degenerated into same old same old

i kind of like the thread....just ignore what you don't like...i love music and there is alot of good stuff on this thread to. i'll bet judging from that picture of wss on his posts that he is a pretty darn good musician and he also enjoys talking about music...he has alot of good opinions from the posts i read from him.....

i kind of like the thread....just ignore what you don't like...i love music and there is alot of good stuff on this thread to. i'll bet judging from that picture of wss on his posts that he is a pretty darn good musician and he also enjoys talking about music...he has alot of good opinions from the posts i read from him.....

Ha!...I think he's bummed cause just us old guys answered and no one else did.....degenerated or just never got going?.....you decide....

if we deleted every thread that deviated or evolved from the op, there would be none left.....

John Mayer is probably the most well known. The guy is a blues virtuoso and belongs in the same conversation as Clapton, Joe Walsh. The fact that he can also make top 40 music is a testament to his breadth as a musician.

Another really talented guitarist is Orianthi. She had some top 40 hits about 5 years ago, but has fallen off the map. She was going to be the guitarist for Michael Jackson's tour before he died.

Jake Cinninger of Umphrey's McGee is very talented. They're my favorite band at the moment, and they've got one of the best lighting guys in the industry for their live shows.

Another really talented guitarist is Orianthi. She had some top 40 hits about 5 years ago, but has fallen off the map. She was going to be the guitarist for Michael Jackson's tour before he died.

She toured with Alice Cooper for a while.....

John Mayer is probably the most well known. The guy is a blues virtuoso and belongs in the same conversation as Clapton, Joe Walsh. The fact that he can also make top 40 music is a testament to his breadth as a musician.

Jake Cinninger of Umphrey's McGee is very talented. They're my favorite band at the moment, and they've got one of the best lighting guys in the industry for their live shows.

i agree...and you are talking some pretty good talent in clapton and big joe...i love joe walsh...my wife and i don't go to many big arena concerts anymore...we usually support the local musicians in our area which are pretty good..however, i saw that joe walsh is touring with bad company..don't know if joe is replacing mick ralphs with bad company or if joe is the opening act or vise versa...guess i'll follow the tour on google to see whats up...but my wife likes walsh also and likes bad company....

She toured with Alice Cooper for a while.....

last yr alice cooper opened for motley crue which announced this was their last tour...hard to believe alice would open for anyone, but from what i understand, and i am not sure of this but alice highly promoted motley crue from the get go. he really liked them...so i can see the reason he opened...crue's last tour ever, he promoted them etc etc...makes sense...i pulled up a video of alice on that tour and he had a female guitarist in the band..guess that was who you guys are talking about...didn't know her name until now if that was her....i'll tell you what, she was incredible...that is all i can say...

Ha!...I think he's bummed cause just us old guys answered and no one else did.....degenerated or just never got going?.....you decide....

if we deleted every thread that deviated or evolved from the op, there would be none left.....

what this thread has done for me with all this talking about music, is i picked up my acoustic and started strumming again...my wife bugs me all the time about not playing because she thinks i'm good...i keep telling her that a matter of opinion....but wss, thanks for this thread again....

Mayer is definitely on my short list.

Archived