THE BROWNS BOARD

Cast this Series

Here is an exercise for you all.....Pretend that you are the casting Director for a propose new TV series based on the Warlord Chronicles.....which is a version of what the real King Arthur tale would be...placed in the actual history of when it was believed an Arthurian character actually existed, i.e about 500 A.D. And with out the magic. Here are the primary characters and a brief description. Tell who you think you would like to see in these roles:

Arthur. Oldest but Illegitimate son of Uther Pendragon, King of the Britons. He never actually becomes king, but does become Warlord of the Britons. (sort of a Shogun like character) Fights the Saxon invasion.

Uther Pendragon. King of the Britons, but is older and dies early in the tale.

Age: older 50s plus (which was old for 500 AD.) Suggested actor

Guinevere: Becomes Arthur's Welsh ravishing redheaded wife.

Merlin: Foremost Druid priest of the Britons. Both serious and comical in attitude.

Derfel: Arthur's right hand man and warrior. Strong, noble in character but not in birth. The tale is told from his perspective

Lancelot: Frankish, blonde, seducer of Guinevere, cowardly. Is a primary villain

Mordred: Grandson of Uther. Nephew of Arthur. Son of Uther's legitimate son who dies. Becomes King actually when Uther dies..still as a baby. Becomes villainous when grown:

Age: at the beginning, he is just a baern. As years go by he would be in late 20s/mid 30s.

Suggested actor for adult Mordred?:

Morgan: Arthur's half sister by his mother. Not the daughter of Uther Beautiful but dark. Becomes a Druid priestess...and later a Christian. She is not the mother of Mordred nor the Villain that other Arthur tales tell

Nimue: Young, lithe, childlike at first. Is friend of Arthur's and lover of Derfel, but she becomes Merlin's apprentice. Later become finatical and dangerous, turning on Arthur, Derfel and Merlin.

See what you can do with this in terms of casting roles.

This is actually something that is being considered for a series.

Sorry Gipper , to be honest I don't know who any of these people are except for a very few. Also if we are limited to actors living and working today it's almost impossible, I don't know nearly enough English actors which is what I've been looking for were I Casting.

WSS

Arthur: How about I turn the tables on the Harry Potter group.....Put Tom Felton (Malfoy) in as Arthur

Mordred: Daniel Radcliffe.....Mordred is short, dark deformed. (Radcliffe pulled this off in Frankenstein)

Uther: Liam Cunningham...or Charles Dance

Guinevere: Karen Gillan (Amy Pond of of Dr. Who....though she would have to get naked for this role..which would be nice)

Derfel: Aaron Taylor-Johnson....Pietro from The Avengers, Age of Ultron

Merlin: Sea Bean

Lancelot:

Nimue: a young Keira Knightly is that sort I had in mind....though Kiera may be too old now to play a teen/20ish

Morgan: Gemma Arterton....from Quantum of Solace, Prince of Persia, Hansel and Gretel. Could do sorceress pretty well.

Sorry Gipper , to be honest I don't know who any of these people are except for a very few. Also if we are limited to actors living and working today it's almost impossible, I don't know nearly enough English actors which is what I've been looking for were I Casting.

WSS

Do you mean you don't know the characters from the Arthur tales? Derfel and Nimue are a bit unknown....but the other characters are always in the Arthur movies/shows.

And I know that you have read the Bernard Cornwell books that this is based on.

Do you mean you don't know the characters from the Arthur tales? Derfel and Nimue are a bit unknown....but the other characters are always in the Arthur movies/shows.

And I know that you have read the Bernard Cornwell books that this is based on.

Did he write those Saxon books? If so I just got one of his, the first and one of the series, the last Kingdom. As far as the Arthurian stuff I just don't know English actors well enough. I mean I could probably fill in the blanks with the ones that are big stars now but not familiar enough to discern.

WSS

Did he write those Saxon books? If so I just got one of his, the first and one of the series, the last Kingdom. As far as the Arthurian stuff I just don't know English actors well enough. I mean I could probably fill in the blanks with the ones that are big stars now but not familiar enough to discern.

WSS

Yes, same guy that writes the Saxon Tales. He actually says that his Arthur Trilogy is his best work.

I know there are Yanks who can do a British accent and vice versa.

By the way that always amazes me in the case of an Englishman doing a Yankee accent that isn't obvious to me. Kenneth Branagh and Gary Oldman come to mind.

WSS

House.

Are we going with english actors only as it's an english show? Also are we going all-star, dream cast, or less well known?

BBC did this show a few years ago, btw.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1199099/

Yes, I saw that show....a decent one.

You can choose any actors you like. I chose mostly British because it is set in Briton.

I know there are Yanks who can do a British accent and vice versa.

By the way that always amazes me in the case of an Englishman doing a Yankee accent that isn't obvious to me. Kenneth Branagh and Gary Oldman come to mind.

WSS

A lot of British actors when they try to do an American accent have a flat nasaly aspect. Like they were 1920s Chicago gangsters.

Some try to cover it up by attempting to do a southern accent. Again, with some, it works, with most....no.

But the guys you mention do do well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished book 1 of the last Kingdom series and really really liked it.

WSS

There are at least 9 books, and now a BBC Series.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/the-last-kingdom-series-formerly-the-warrior-chroniclessaxon-stories/

I have read all the books...most 2 times over.

I have not seen any of the TV show yet. I will likely buy it when it comes out.

There are at least 9 books, and now a BBC Series.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/the-last-kingdom-series-formerly-the-warrior-chroniclessaxon-stories/

I have read all the books...most 2 times over.

I have not seen any of the TV show yet. I will likely buy it when it comes out.

It's available on Amazon Prime, not sure if you have that or not.

WSS

Archived