THE BROWNS BOARD

Breakout players in '09

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Interesting stuff from SI.com.

Two names I'd add to the list:

• Nate Irving, OLB, NC State
    • The rangy redshirt sophomore nearly declared after notching 80 tackles and four picks last year. With many key contributors on the d-line returning next year, Irving will once again get a chance to play some great sideline to sideline football. If he gets a little bit stronger and learns how to better take on blockers, he'll make his way into the first round of next year's draft. He's a perfect fit for a Tampa 2 defense and quite possibly the best linebacker to come out of the state since Aaron Curry

Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt
  • An extremely raw but athletic talent, Romeus managed to notch 5.5 sacks during his rSoph season. And there's plenty of untapped potential in his 6'5", 265 pound frame - he also blocked three field goals, showing his superb athleticism. If he improves on his technique and stays healthy, he'll be drawing comparisons to DeMarcus Ware and Brian Orakpo come draft day in April 2010.
What other players do you guys think deserve to be on the list?

Mark Herzalich OLB Boston College

At 6'4" and 240 lbs, he is returning for his senior season after being named the ACC defensive player of the year.

He's not a junior leaving early and if he can come into the combine and get his 40 time around 4.60 or lower, the scouts are going to like this kid.

He may already be considered a 1st rounder but I think he and Kindle end up being the #1 LB's in the draft.

Lagarrett Blount RB Oregon

Oregon is getting better and this this huge kid is going to liked by the NFL.

6'2" and 240 lbs makes for a RB that can punish tacklers. I think he moves up a lot in the draft.

Andre Amos CB Ohio State

A highly sought CB/WR coming out of high school, this 6'1" 195 pounder will finally get his chance to start in Jenkin's spot.

He has battled injuries his entire career in Columbus. If he stays healthy he's going to come on quickly just as Malcom Jenkins did. His size along with good speed is going to make him very tempting to a lot of NFL scouts.

Guest Aloysius

Ah, good old Napoleon Dynamite:

MARKHERZLICHNIKE150.JPG

Also really like Herzlich. You're right about his 40 time being important. He's one of those guys that doesn't look too athletic because he plays so tall, but then you see him dive for a pick or show off a nice spin move and you say, "Hmm. Maybe this guy isn't such a stiff."

One other thing he needs to do next year is prove that he's a capable pass-rusher. He only had 2.5 sacks last year; he needs to triple that next year if he's going to get serious consideration as a 3-4 OLB prospect.

Ah, good old Napoleon Dynamite:

MARKHERZLICHNIKE150.JPG

Also really like Herzlich. You're right about his 40 time being important. He's one of those guys that doesn't look too athletic because he plays so tall, but then you see him dive for a pick or show off a nice spin move and you say, "Hmm. Maybe this guy isn't such a stiff."

One other thing he needs to do next year is prove that he's a capable pass-rusher. He only had 2.5 sacks last year; he needs to triple that next year if he's going to get serious consideration as a 3-4 OLB prospect.

Don't you think Aloy that some of his sack numbers are just due to scheme? Old Spaz has really put some good defenses on the field but they are never in the top as far as sacks go. I think BC was in the top ten in several defensive catagories in 2008, but as I said, sacks are never one of them.

You've obviously seen him in pass coverage? For a kid that seems much bigger than his listed 240 lbs, he really does a nice job. He moves well and as you said, he'll leave his feet and still make the catch.

The other thing I like about him so much is his motor....He seems to be going 120 MPH all the time.

If he has a good combine I think he could end up being a top ten pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Etienne Sabino

Coming out of PA this 6'3" 235lb. MLB was one of the most highly recruited and rated LB's in the nation.

He will more than likely be stepping in for James Laurinaitis, although he'll have to go through Austin Spitler to do so.

One way or the other the Buckeyes will get this great athlete on the field. He could even be moved to OLB as he was running a 4.6 coming out of high school.

I look for him to have a monster year.

sabino.jpg

• 1 month later...

A guy I really like is Dexter McCluster of Ole Miss.

The guy doesn't get enough note, but I think this season he is going to be on everybodys list.

He runs, catches, throws, and has something else as displayed here. I like the guy.

'

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius
NC State's Irving recovering after crash, surgery

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina State linebacker Nate Irving is recovering from surgery after being hurt in a car crash.

A WakeMed Trauma Center spokeswoman said Irving was in good condition Monday after surgery Sunday night. Irving was hospitalized with a broken leg and a collapsed lung after running his vehicle off the road at 4:40 a.m. Sunday on Interstate 40 in Johnston County.

State troopers think Irving might have fallen asleep at the wheel before crashing into two trees. Irving has been charged with careless and reckless driving.

It's unknown if Irving will be able to play this season. The junior was an honorable mention all-Atlantic Coast Conference player last year despite missing one-third of the season because of injuries.

Doesn't sound like he'll play this year. Hopefully, he'll come back strong in 2010.

• 5 weeks later...

Herzlich, as I'm sure you guys know by now, isn't going to play this season, or perhaps ever. He's got a serious form of cancer.

As for McCluster, I was at that game. And while I like the guy, he puts the ball on the ground way too much. He's got talent, but he's real slight and I think he's going to be a return man and not much else. Maybe a slot/utility guy. Someone will draft him. I'd put him in the late 3rd or 4th.

The guy he decleated, Chad Jones, is someone I really like.

No doubt McCluster will have to go to the right team who plans to utilize his skills. If you just plan to line him up in the I play after play....no, he probably won't do much.

But the NFL is changing...someone will create a role for him in which he will excel.

Guest Aloysius
The guy he decleated, Chad Jones, is someone I really like.

He really stood out during LSU's bowl game. Looked like a future 1st round pick, though I'm not sure he's consistently played up to that level (nfldraftscout projects him as a late 2nd/early 3rd guy).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
He kind of reminds me of David Veikune. Maybe a little more athletic, but also not as strong against the run.

To give a little perspective, he was recruited as a fullback, moved to linebacker after redshirting and played DE for the first time as a sophomore. He still has two full years to develop, but looked like a star in the making in the last 6-7 games of 2008.

Archived