THE BROWNS BOARD

The brothers Grimsby review

The brothers Grimsby

Columbia

R. 83 min

Funny thing about Sacha Baron Cohen. I must admit that I admire the guys ability as a character actor, dialect and knack for slapstick comedy an oddball physical shtick.

That being said I've hated or disliked just about everything I've seen him in, except possibly HUGO.

In BORAT and BRUNO fake documentaries I never really bought the premise that everybody else in the movie was as completely clue free as the comedy seemed to suggest. I smelled a setup; a rat if you will from beginning to end. I don't think most folks would be surprised to learn that some folks taken from the audience in a magic show are actually plants and there at every stop along the tour but it does make the magic a little less, well, magical. That's what happened with those films, for me anyway.

Beyond that, every film Cohen stars in seems to have an awful lot toilet humor that steps over the line from just gross into truly disgusting. One might wonder if his agent is at fault but a quick glance at the credits shows that Cohen is not only listed as producer but writer, leaving very little doubt as to where to lay the blame. I suppose there are some 14 year old Beavis and Butt-head types with a stolen 6 pack of Bud Light who think this kind of crap is hilarious, and possibly there are enough of them to turn a profit. Not me.

The brothers Grimsby is billed as a action adventure and yeah I suppose it is, but I'd say it's more of a vulgar comedy that just happens to include action and adventure.

Nobby (Cohen) and Sebastian (Mark Strong) are inseparable orphan brothers separated nearly 30 years ago by a cruel twist of fate. Sebastian will grow up to be a dashing English secret agent while Nobby spends his years in a trashy English fishing village surrounded by lowlifes and idiots.

Seriously these people really are morons. The plot itself is actually just a ridiculous framework in which Sebastian is framed buy some bad people in a plot to kill all the stupid people in the world. That's not an altogether terrible idea, I thought, but...

As I say it's only a framework in which to hold together a series of distasteful situations and sight gags, and let me tell you the term gag is very appropriate.

I'll describe just one as delicately as possible. At one point the two brothers are stranded in Africa trying to get away from the bad guys. They hide inside an elephant's vagina. That's right, it's not a typographical error. Once the two are inside the elephant the male elephant shows up with loving on his mind. The entire scene is graphically displayed from the inside of the lady elephant from start to climax. That's not the worst joke in the movie by a long shot but should give you a bit of an idea in which direction the humor leads the audience.

Truthfully, even though there wasn't a laugh in sight I still wasn't bored which is the killer for a bad movie, and while I certainly can't recommend it I have to admit that it could have, somehow, been worse.

C

WSS

He pulled out of the freddie doc a while ago over creative differences. He wanted a freddie biopic from beginning to aids-hastened end, while the other queen guys wanted a queen biopic where freddie disappears halfway through and they go on to tell the story of queen after freddie.

He pulled out of the freddie doc a while ago over creative differences. He wanted a freddie biopic from beginning to aids-hastened end, while the other queen guys wanted a queen biopic where freddie disappears halfway through and they go on to tell the story of queen after freddie.

My personal interest in Queen drops off quickly after Freddie's death. Extremely talented band and I'm sure they're very good without him but he is integral.

That said I certainly understand the rest of the band wanting to focus on themselves and their current careers.

WSS

What have they done, of note, after freddie?

Brian May played the national anthem on top of buckingham palace on his guitar for the queen's diamond jubilee. He also has a PhD in astrophysics or some such.

But musically, it seems they kid of died a death when Freddie, well...

What have they done, of note, after freddie?

I am not sure they have tried to write new material or come out with a new record.

Adam Lambert probably did as good of a job as anyone could duplicationg Mercury's vocal talents when they the tours with him.

But no. When the primary figure head of a band is gone, the band is gone.

It would be like as if the Rolling Stones had tried to carry on without Mick Jagger.

I am not sure they have tried to write new material or come out with a new record.

Adam Lambert probably did as good of a job as anyone could duplicationg Mercury's vocal talents when they the tours with him.

But no. When the primary figure head of a band is gone, the band is gone.

It would be like as if the Rolling Stones had tried to carry on without Mick Jagger.

Say what you will about Jim Morrison and the talent of other members of The Doors, but there is no way for that band to have survived Morrison's passing.

He was THE FRONTMAN

The focal point

The icon

Fair or not, that is the way it was/is.

Some folks transcend the band. Others are parts of the band. Sometimes it's fair; Sometimes it isn't fair.

Personally, I believe John Kay is a dick for the way he is treating former members of Steppenwolf but...........................what is Steppinwolf without John Kay.

Say what you will about Jim Morrison and the talent of other members of The Doors, but there is no way for that band to have survived Morrison's passing.

He was THE FRONTMAN

The focal point

The icon

Fair or not, that is the way it was/is.

Some folks transcend the band. Others are parts of the band. Sometimes it's fair; Sometimes it isn't fair.

Personally, I believe John Kay is a dick for the way he is treating former members of Steppenwolf but...........................what is Steppinwolf without John Kay.

Credence without John Fogerty?

Archived