THE BROWNS BOARD

The most successful drafts by any team

hammertime

matters what era your talking about, I no in the 50's they had 30 rounds as to today theres only 7
Good call.

Plus, the league has a rookie salary cap. I'm not sure the details of it. But I was talking to an Eagles fan who was saying that they've got like 12 picks this year, including two firsts, and they won't be able to sign all of those picks even though they've got a bunch of cap space.

It's kind of 3rd party news. So, I don't know all of the details. But from what I've heard, it sounds like the league has things set up to where you can only bring in a certain amount of rookies each year.

I thought

kc had 12 picks and still sucked. And yes i meant this era, was hoping ther was a successful model of a draft pick laden team doing well.

we had 13 in 2000

I would say its more about hitting on the picks you do have, but certainly it increases your chances by having more picks.

Of course unless its the Browns or Lions, or Cincy we cant seem to get anything right.

we had 13 in 2000

I would say its more about hitting on the picks you do have, but certainly it increases your chances by having more picks.

Of course unless its the Browns or Lions, or Cincy we cant seem to get anything right.

A good portion of the players that didn't "work out" for us, the Lions, Cincitucky, etc. could probably be attributed to horrid coaching staffs, as well.

And that's the one thing that many seem to forget. Coaching DOES play a large part in a player's transition to the next level.

I am thinking KC last year has to be close to the record

I'm not sure how many of KC's rookies made the Pro Bowl, but in general I don't think one can assess how good a draft class is in the first year.

Simply making the team or even winning a starting position on a very bad team isn't enough to claim success. Even the worst draft class of the worst team in football could likely supplant the starters of an Arena Football Team. That doesn't mean its a good draft class.

Getting "points" for drafting quality players in the first round is fine too - as long as one takes off points for first round busts as well.

There might be a case to be made for a few of the Patriots draft classes. Even coming off a Super Bowl win in 2004 when one would think there'd be very few holes to fill and a high level of competition, there were still quite a few quality players and starters in the 2005 draft class with 5 eventual starters that achieved starting roles on a well established championship caliber team:

32 Logan Mankins / G

84 Ellis Hobbs / CB CB

100 Nick Kaczur / G G

133 James Sanders / S S

230 Matt Cassel / QB QB

2003 wasn't that bad either with 4 starters and a few decent role players

13 Ty Warren DT Texas A&M

36 Eugene Wilson DB Illinois

117 Dan Klecko DT Temple

120 Asante Samuel DB Central Florida

164 Dan Koppen C Boston College

239 Tully Banta-Cain DE California

Try the Pats 1995 draft:

1st: Ty Law (5 Pro Bowls)

2nd: Ted Johnson (starting MLB, played 9 years)

3rd: Curtis Martin (5 Pro Bowls, 4th leading rusher all time)

4th: Jimmy Hitchcock (starting corner)

5th: Dave Wohlabaugh (starting center)

Then signed Adam Vinatieri as a rookie free agent. Two Pro Bowls, one of the greatest kickers of all time.

And the next year they got Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy, and Tedy Bruschi 1-2-3.

The Browns haven't had a draft like either of those two in ...well, ever.

I thought

kc had 12 picks and still sucked. And yes i meant this era, was hoping ther was a successful model of a draft pick laden team doing well.

What?! The chiefs had a amazing draft. Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles? Sign me up. The chiefs draft was one of the better drafts in a good long while.

What?! The chiefs had a amazing draft. Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles? Sign me up. The chiefs draft was one of the better drafts in a good long while.

yeah it was such a great draft that those players led them to a 2-14 season. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! i'll pass

yeah it was such a great draft that those players led them to a 2-14 season. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! i'll pass

You're a dumb ass. One great draft after a bunch of dismal ones isn't going to turn a team around. Brandon Albert played great as did Flowers. I'm not sure what they are going to do with Dorsey with the move to the 3-4 and Charles didn't hit the field a ton because of LJ but when he did he wasn't half bad. Do some of you even watch football? Because some of the comments really do put this look on my face. :blink:

Drafting and building a team is a evolving process. You aren't going to have a miracle draft and everything miraculously comes together on the field unless the draft class in question is the final piece of the puzzle. The chiefs have a way to go as do the Stains. Let me guess everyone on this board thinks that a great draft this season will immediately plunge the Stains into the division race? Please. A good number of you need to wake the f.uck up. Great teams are built, coached and groomed they don't just show up overnight.

And the Chiefs had one of the best drafts talent wise in the last 10 years. Brandon Albert and Dorsey? with Brandon Flowers in the 3rd. I would have killed for that draft in Pittsburgh last season.

You're a dumb ass. One great draft after a bunch of dismal ones isn't going to turn a team around. Brandon Albert played great as did Flowers. I'm not sure what they are going to do with Dorsey with the move to the 3-4 and Charles didn't hit the field a ton because of LJ but when he did he wasn't half bad. Do some of you even watch football? Because some of the comments really do put this look on my face. :blink:

Drafting and building a team is a evolving process. You aren't going to have a miracle draft and everything miraculously comes together on the field unless the draft class in question is the final piece of the puzzle. The chiefs have a way to go as do the Stains. Let me guess everyone on this board thinks that a great draft this season will immediately plunge the Stains into the division race? Please. A good number of you need to wake the f.uck up. Great teams are built, coached and groomed they don't just show up overnight.

And the Chiefs had one of the best drafts talent wise in the last 10 years. Brandon Albert and Dorsey? with Brandon Flowers in the 3rd. I would have killed for that draft in Pittsburgh last season.

As your screen name says- you haven't had snatch since 98', i can sense your hostility.(A mild Pittsburg dig) :P

A realalistic hope is for 2 starters from this years draft. I stated about kc that they still sucked. The players in the draft you mentioned have emphasized your statement that its not just a singular draft that cures all.

:(

As your screen name says- you haven't had snatch since 98', i can sense your hostility.(A mild Pittsburg dig) :P

A realalistic hope is for 2 starters from this years draft. I stated about kc that they still sucked. The players in the draft you mentioned have emphasized your statement that its not just a singular draft that cures all.

lol I'm good in the sex department. My "hostility" stems from the ignorance of a few. I do agree with you 100% that a realistic hope would be for two rookies to contribute immediately and it wouldn't be to much to ask with the amount of picks you have currently and could have if additional trades occur between now and the draft. Branden Albert and Flowers contributed immediately for the chiefs. It all hinges on your new front office and Mangini both of which have something to prove. All I know is I was here posting occasionally when everyone was up in arms about the 10-6 season and everyone here had every right to be excited. However I was also here during the "we're going to take the division next season talks" and how "Pittsburgh has a bad offensive line" etc, etc, etc and you all know how that turned out.

I know a good number hate to hear it but the Pittsburgh Steelers are the model franchise of the NFL. It may be hard to swallow but it's the truth and I'm NOT SAYING THIS TO RUB IT IN or incite some sort of Steelers vs Browns rivalry argument. The facts are facts. You build through the draft, pay your own and do what needs to be done as a Coach and a front office. It also helps that the Rooney's own the franchise but you get the point. Every team goes through a "rebuilding process" and the good ones stay out of that process longer than the others by drafting successfully and providing a positive growth environment.

I have no doubt the Stains will get their eventually but it's going to take a little while and the last I checked the AFC North minus the Bungels "Who dey gonna arrest next" is a tough division. Either way I'm totally stoked for the draft, it still seems so far away. :(

I'd say the Patriots are the model franchise of the NFL aside from Spygate they seem to have it pretty figured out going through the draft and adding the additional piece in FA. Winning superbowls in 3 out of 4 years has put them near the top in not at the top. Pitt would also be in the top 5 as far as running an NFL franchise goes.

I'd say the Patriots are the model franchise of the NFL aside from Spygate they seem to have it pretty figured out going through the draft and adding the additional piece in FA. Winning superbowls in 3 out of 4 years has put them near the top in not at the top. Pitt would also be in the top 5 as far as running an NFL franchise goes.

Spy gate killed it AND Craft isn't half the owner Rooney is nor have the Patriots been doing it well for as long. Hell there is a very real possibility Pittsburgh repeats this year which would put them in the same light championship wise. I just have absolutely zero respect for the Patriots franchise, especially after spygate. Classless organization is the only thing that comes to mind and one that is easy to hate because of it.

Interestingly, Forbes Magazine ranks the Patriots among the WORST at the draft, though the author is actually quite complimentary still

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/08/nfl-draft...-nfl-draft.html

He gives the Colts among the top draft grade - and I'm sure there's a very strong case to be made.

That being said, the author notes the Patriots success in picking up veterans like Welker and Moss as opposed to filing holes through the draft.... failing to note that both Welker and Moss were effectively secured by trading draft picks...

I'm sure most GMs and most fans would hapilly draft Welker in the 2nd round or Moss in the 4th round if the draft were held today - but the author effectively takes points away from the Patriots draft record for making those deals

But overall for just pure draft prowess Bill Polian would probably get the nod from most GMs

Archived