THE BROWNS BOARD

Riddick says that 5 QBs could go in First Round.

The Gipper

Heard it on the radio this morning. Louis Riddick stated that as many as 5 QBs could be taken in round one of the draft: Wentz/Goff/Lynch/Cook/Hackenberg.

So, I know that some have stated that none of these guys have first round talent....but because they are QBs for which the premium is high it could happen that these guys all go high.

While some of you may scoff at this.....this is the trend. Only twice in history have 5 QBs been taken in round 1:

1983 Elway, Blackledge, Kelly, Eason, Marino, O'Brien....6

1999 Couch , McNabb, Smith, McNown, Culpepper

But here are the years in which 4 QBs were taken in round 1:

1949, 1987, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2012. Clearly in this century taking a QB high is a trend. So, while 5 QBs may be high.....4 QBs drafted in round one is now about the norm.

In addition...no draft has gone without a QB Being taken in round 1 since 1996. These are the years no QB has been drafted in the first round:

I respect Riddick's opinions, but it is hard to see 5... at least based on merit.

But Denver is a wild card late.

I respect Riddick's opinions, but it is hard to see 5... at least based on merit.

But Denver is a wild card late.

Right....need plus positional importance begets overreaching perhaps.

The thinking may be that a number of 2d round QBs have done well....Brees, Dalton, Kaepernick, Carr, Osweiler.....why not get these guys in late round 1 rather than wait til later.

gft quote from another thread:

QB needy teams at 19 (bills), 20 (jets), potentially 27 (chiefs) and 28 (cards), and 31 (broncos).

Can't see us trading to 22 based on that, fortunately.

That is one reason that the Chronicles of Riddick could be right.

Archived