THE BROWNS BOARD

Can we expect hold-out this year??

ballpeen

My feeling is with uncertain times in both the economy and the NFL labor situation, teams, especially near the top, are going to be seeking deals substantially less then the top picks of previous years, while the players and their agents are going to be seeking deals that give the traditional 5%-10% bump over last year for a similar draft slot.

I think it is a situation that is going to lead to all kinds of hold-outs and late signings.

I think it is something to watch, and possibly a reason it seems most of the teams with high picks are seeking ways out of the pick.

Any thoughts??

My feeling is with uncertain times in both the economy and the NFL labor situation, teams, especially near the top, are going to be seeking deals substantially less then the top picks of previous years, while the players and their agents are going to be seeking deals that give the traditional 5%-10% bump over last year for a similar draft slot.

I think it is a situation that is going to lead to all kinds of hold-outs and late signings.

I think it is something to watch, and possibly a reason it seems most of the teams with high picks are seeking ways out of the pick.

Any thoughts??

i think that it will be interesting to see how things work out. the owners and gms will want to save money and some of the rookies will understand that these are tough economic times and take a less money. however we all know that agents could care less about the economy and will push to get that 5-10% regardless of how bad the economy is. greed by these agents and players is a factor that will never go away and will always be a part of sports. for this reason i see some hold-outs- not necessarily because of the players wanting more money, but because of the agents whispering in their ears that they are worth more. agents are ruining pro sports.

If every player, team executive, coach, etc takes a 5-10% pay cut, we could and should expect this years draft class to follow. But I no one is going to take that pay cut. Owners may want to save money, but they have to realize that they can't expect one year of draftees to carry the burden.

Archived