THE BROWNS BOARD

Who would be your top overall "can't miss" guy coming out for the draft ever?

Browns2405

Just wondering for anyone that wants to answer who your #1 draft prospect of all time is and why? This player could have been or could be picked by any team and help immediately and or helped team on their way to a championship or whatever.

Otto Graham drafted 4th overall by the lions

NFL Career Totals:

• Played in 126 games for the Cleveland Browns

• Threw 2,626 passes, completing 1,464 for 23,584 yards and 174 touchdowns

• Ran the ball 405 times for 882 yards and 44 touchdowns

• Finished with a 105-17-4 regular-season record

NFL Highlights:

• Led the Browns to 10 division or league titles in 10 years

• Led AAFC in passing four times

• Led NFL in passing two times

• Named All-AAFC four times 1946 (UPI, OA), 1947 (NY, OA), 1948 (UPI, OA), 1949 (UPI, NY, OA)

• Named All-NFL five times 1951 (AP, UPI, NY), 1952 (UPI, NY), 1953 (AP, UPI, NY) , 1954 (AP, UPI, SN, NY) , 1955 (AP, UPI, SN, NY)

• Named NFL All-Pro four times 1947 (AP), 1948 (AP), 1949 (AP, IN)

• Played in five Pro Bowls 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955

• Named NFL MVP twice

• Won four straight AAFC titles

• Named to the all-NFL 75th anniversary team.

• Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1965

There are quite a few but one that sticks out in my mind is Dan Marino taken by MIA. I know he feel in the draft cuz of his drug use but the gamble worked in my mind. He helped the dolphins have a lot of success. Granted he never won a Super Bowl but the Dolphins have struggled to find a QB with consistent success like him.

BARRY MOTHER FN SANDERS. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST RUNNING BACK IN ANY ERA HE WOULD HAVE LIVED. JIM BROWN WAS STRONGER BUT BARRY HAD THE SICKNESS CALLED ELUSIVENESS AND SPEED COMBO.

Jim Brown

now if we are just talking who in the draft did we know would be a can't miss, maybe not the best player in the NFL, Chris Speilman, course that was from watching him play high school football, (in person) and collage, hell even some pick up games here and there.

I knew he was going to the NFL and I knew he would be successful.

I'm not really understanding the question, it sorta reads like who is the best ever, which we can debate endlessly

Is this like who was the best late round grab?

The best player that lived up to their draft spot?

i interpreted the question as the best value pick. But after rereading it, i'm not sure.

I'm not really understanding the question, it sorta reads like who is the best ever, which we can debate endlessly

Is this like who was the best late round grab?

The best player that lived up to their draft spot?

I'm sorry I couldn't quite get my point across clear enough... Who in your mind would be the safest pick no matter what because that player's talent was so immense that no team could go wrong picking that player and that players contribution to the team helped immensely.

You need to ask a better question. Asking the best can't miss player "coming" out of the draft, -retroactively- is silly,

it logically ends up being the most successful, like Jim Brown, Joe Mantana. And there are reasons for a player's success or

not depending on the surrounding cast, systems, coaches...

"Coming" directly refers to the present. "Whoever came out of the draft" would be more precise.

But, to play along, I'd say Paul Warfield. Wait, he was very successful.. oh, never mind. Warfield was a Lynn Swann before there was a Swann.

Currently, the "can't miss" in THIS DRAFT would be Curry, LB, and Smith, OL.

I would have a hard time tagging a receiver here as there are just too many variables.

My answer is Jim Brown...Big (bigger than many linebackers in his day), fast, strong, & tough as nails. Then he got to the NFL & proved it.

Mike

You need to ask a better question. Asking the best can't miss player "coming" out of the draft, -retroactively- is silly,

it logically ends up being the most successful, like Jim Brown, Joe Mantana. And there are reasons for a player's success or

not depending on the surrounding cast, systems, coaches...

"Coming" directly refers to the present. "Whoever came out of the draft" would be more precise.

But, to play along, I'd say Paul Warfield. Wait, he was very successful.. oh, never mind. Warfield was a Lynn Swann before there was a Swann.

Currently, the "can't miss" in THIS DRAFT would be Curry, LB, and Smith, OL.

So for this draft do you recomend picking Curry oor Smith if available?

Yes, if you balance that with need. The best available player, say, WR, when you already have two all pro wr's, doesn't help your team significantly.

We don't need a LT, or I'd take Smith. We do need a great all around lb'er, and that's Curry.

If Curry is gone, you really have to take a serious eval of Orakpo or Raji. Or trade down. It's complicated. But taking the bop at the top

of the first round when you don't really need him, is not a dramatic impact player for your team.

But, I would say Smtih and Curry are the best sure things at the top of the draft.

Yes, if you balance that with need. The best available player, say, WR, when you already have two all pro wr's, doesn't help your team significantly.

We don't need a LT, or I'd take Smith. We do need a great all around lb'er, and that's Curry.

If Curry is gone, you really have to take a serious eval of Orakpo or Raji. Or trade down. It's complicated. But taking the bop at the top

of the first round when you don't really need him, is not a dramatic impact player for your team.

But, I would say Smtih and Curry are the best sure things at the top of the draft.

I would accept Curry as our #5 but if hes not there a scorer should be our focus at that point. If Curry is not there, then you focus on a trade for picks or players as another option.

You guys will think I'm nuts but I viewed Kosar as one of the safest "Can't miss" picks ever.

I have never felt more sure of a guy's abilities despite things like his lack of speed and ugly passes.

Bernie, besides being extremely intelligent, (Grad in three years at Miami) had that special mental make up that just told me he was going to be a very good, if not great QB. I sure never felt better about any pick the Browns made.

Archived