THE BROWNS BOARD

No 5th Year Option for Mingo

wargograw

May not make the team.

Zombo

Don't know about not making the team- but his production to date sure as hell doesn't warrant a contract extension.

He's already behind Kruger and Orchard and was behind A. Bryant who I am writing off.

Now add Ogbah and Schobert ... he's getting buried.

If it is pass coverage that he brings to the table, Kirksey is good at that and perhaps Schobert too.

Zombo

Obviously not picking up the option - is he an $12m player? Even for one year? Hell no. Might he be if he explodes for 15 sacks? Sure, I guess. But more likely, he ends up cut, after failing to get a sack again (or fewer than 3, say), or he ends up doing pretty well in coverage, gets maybe 5-6 sacks, and we end up signing him for $6m - in that situation, having him sitting on essentially a franchise tender at $12m does not work to our advantage.

He's already behind Kruger and Orchard and was behind A. Bryant who I am writing off.

Now add Ogbah and Schobert ... he's getting buried.

If it is pass coverage that he brings to the table, Kirksey is good at that and perhaps Schobert too.

Zombo

Question is if he's worth the guaranteed money and cap hit this year- $5 million.

Easy decision, he's had no production and would cost $11-12M in 2017.

He won't cost anything next year (2017) UFA, Current level of play? Adios. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/barkevious-mingo/

Ron Schwane-USA TODAY Sports / Reuters

Report: Browns decline 5th-year option on Barkevious Mingo

May 2 2016, 2:35 PMJack Browne

The Cleveland Browns declined to exercise the fifth-year option on linebacker Barkevious Mingo's contract, a source told NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Cleveland selected Mingo with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, but after a promising rookie season in which he racked up five sacks, his production and playing time has fallen off a cliff.

The 25-year-old started 11 games in 2014, registering 42 total tackles and two sacks, but started just two games in 2015 and failed to pick up a single sack.

The option would have paid Mingo just under $12 million in 2017.

With a new regime in Cleveland, Mingo will likely be given a final chance to prove himself in 2016. If not, he'll be headed into free agency next offseason.

He's been a bust so far, man. Very disappointing. Maybe he'll pick it up with some talent around him. Jake was god awful as a rookie but pretty solid last year so there's hope.

I saw where a number of other players also did not have their option picked up. Jarvis Jones, Dee Milner

Actually, a lot of guys:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000659379/article/fifthyear-option-tracker-for-2013-firstround-picks

Based on the number of first round guys from that draft who didn't get their options picked up- 14 if I counted correctly = under performance, goes to show how even the first round can be iffy.

Browns fans wanted Dee Milliner BADLY in that draft

Some Browns fans London. Ansah who I wanted, went one pick before Barky. :) With 20\20 hindsight- it was pretty slim pickings at #6 and below in the first round that year. Eifert and Hopkins.

offseason weight program didn't go as well as advertised evidently.

I totally missed the news about the offseason weight program. In case you did too...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000655235/article/bodybuilding-granny-helps-browns-mingo-get-jacked

Good stuff. Body building grandma. I remember a past interview where Mingo basically said that he couldn't gain weight no way no how, so it'll be interesting to see if this will be interesting.

Archived