THE BROWNS BOARD

Unrestricted vs Restricted in 2010

Thaak

Ok, from what I understand, the way the current CBA works, is when/if 2010 becomes an uncapped year, the tenure that must be held for unrestricted free agency goes to 6 years. So many coming off their rookie years will actually be restricted free agents rather than unrestricted as they hope.

Does anyone know if Braylon Edwards is one of those?

If he becomes restricted next year, instead of unrestricted, then we can keep him for one year and not even have to worry about a franchise tag. We just hit him with the highest possible tender, and then if we like the picks, we let him go to the highest bidder, so to speak.

Guest Masters

I am not sure what BE will be next year really. But everything you said is right. Except 2010 will be a uncapped year. The owners already excercised their option in the CBA which makes 2010 (the last year of the CBA) an uncapped year. So unless between now and 2010 they agree to a new CBA (which no one seems to think will happen), it will be uncapped.

In that teams also get to use the franchise tag and the transition tag in the same year.

I posted a CBA article some time back.....if we go uncapped, he will not become a FA next year.

It goes from 4 years of service to 6 years of service.

I justs have this sinking feeling that if we trade Braylon we are going to regrit it for years. I think we have the "shiney penney syndrome" ..We want to trade him to ny for a high draft pick (the shiney penney)..who could be good, great, or a complete bust..we have had more than our share of those.. we need to keep our good players. we don't have many

Here is my fear: Braylon goes to NY and he and Eli go to probowl after probowl and we spend the next 5 years figuring out how to replace him. He is the perfect age to come into his prime and be a superstar.. I still believe in him. I think last year was a fluke and the Braylon of 2 years ago is and will be the real Braylon.. If I am the GM I sit him down and hammer out a fat contract right now. If he refuses to re-sign with us... Then, and only then, do I trade him.

I justs have this sinking feeling that if we trade Braylon we are going to regrit it for years.

Funny. I have the sinking feeling that if we keep BE we are going to regret it for years. Dude wastes more talent than most guys in the NFL have to start with. Unless the Browns add a player to take attention away from BE, I expect results similar to last year, a frustrated Edwards, and prima donna like behavior.

Make the Giants give us Manningham, Hixon and their third (no way we score a first and a third), pick up Furrey or Holt or both, and draft a receiver. We'll be better off even in the short run.

Guest Masters
I posted a CBA article some time back.....if we go uncapped, he will not become a FA next year.

Thanks Ballpeen! I thought that would be the case for BE, but wasn't sure. This is why I say the idea of trading BE is not cut and dry, even if you assume right now is his peak value.

It's gonna be uncapped for sure. I don't see a new CBA in place before the 2010 season starts.

I remember this...and alluded to it earlier...

Just to clear up things....Edwards will be an RFA in 2010 due to the UNCAPPED SEASON rules. Therefore if we don't trade him outright we would have the right to match any offer made to him by another team at the end of 2009.

I am not saying that we should wait and see on this one...just saying that he is NOT an UFA next year if the year goes uncapped.

Instead of him being a UFA in 2010, he will be an RFA. Further, there will be 3 different "tags" that can be placed on a player...a "franchise" tag, and 2 "transitional player" tags.

Three tags instead of one

Currently, a team can put either a franchise tag (average of the top five salaries at his position) OR a transition tag (average of the top ten salaries at his position) on any one player on the club to protect the team from losing the unrestricted free agent. If the NFL gets to an uncapped year in 2010 and 2011, teams will have use of one franchise tag and two transition tags. So not only would none of the young players with less than six years of service be free, but now the top three players who are eligible for free agency on a roster can be protected.

If this situation existed in 2008, a team like Pittsburgh -- which used a transition tag to retain OT Max Starks -- could have also tagged Alan Faneca with either a transition or franchise tag if it so desired. If every team in the league used one or two tags, not even the three they would possess, it could take another 40 quality free agents off the market.

There is speculation teams would not overuse this trigger because so many of their quality younger players would not be free to depart.

Basically, BE can be kept around until the end of 2010 very easily.

Archived