THE BROWNS BOARD

Article on the drafted players

LondonBrown

Kessler's stats weren't all that impressive, to make up for his lacking other qualities:

https://draftbreakdown.com/2016-nfl-draft-breaking-down-situational-quarterback-performance/

You still think Prescott was the better option? Looking at the drafted. the DUI I think killed the whole deal on Dak in Cleveland after Billy?

So you read that entire statistical and situational analysis that I linked of him and this year's class in 16 minutes? Impressive.

I wasn't a fan or impressed by plenty of QBs the Browns have had; Not being a fan of this one isn't a crime.

I also refuse to give Hue Jackson the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I'm definitely heaps more optimistic than I was with high school Mike.

What can I say? I went to a good school.

Time will tell if Eeyore (you) or I am right. Hopefully for all of us it's me, but our long, pathetic history shows it's more likely you. (Thought you'd like that ending)

I don't really care about being right, and I'm secretly hopeful I'm wrong.

I'm happy the circus and the high school coach are gone. A clean slate is what the Browns needed. If Kessler is going to be the next Montana, I'm glad Sashi stole him in the 3rd damn round

Kessler's stats weren't all that impressive, to make up for his lacking other qualities:

https://draftbreakdown.com/2016-nfl-draft-breaking-down-situational-quarterback-performance/

Having looked that over, again, I ask the question: with that statistical breakdown, why were not Adams and Doughty high picks?

(So...perhaps here is the ticket?: Maybe in 5 years say Doughty and Adams will have careers as good as Goff and Wentz?) Possible.

Statistics aren't everything.

"Short, light and small hands. High-end yards per attempt slightly misleading due to scheme. Below average anticipation outside of single read route combinations. Field vision marginal. Fails to see early, easy throws. Extended release time waiting for throwing windows to open wide. Forces offensive line into extended pass protection and high sack total (26). Hesitant to challenge secondary between the hashes. Antsy feet in pocket and prefers to leave and look over sitting tight. Has long windup with slightly below 3/4 delivery. Ball placement needs improvement."

Statistics aren't everything.

"Short, light and small hands. High-end yards per attempt slightly misleading due to scheme. Below average anticipation outside of single read route combinations. Field vision marginal. Fails to see early, easy throws. Extended release time waiting for throwing windows to open wide. Forces offensive line into extended pass protection and high sack total (26). Hesitant to challenge secondary between the hashes. Antsy feet in pocket and prefers to leave and look over sitting tight. Has long windup with slightly below 3/4 delivery. Ball placement needs improvement."

Who is this about? Not Kessler. He has those huge hands. And his ypa isn't so much.

And per Hue Jackson, his anticipation and field vision are his strong points.

So, who are you referring to?

He's the all time USC completion % record holder that seldom turns the ball over, and was hand picked by his head coach, who is also known for developing QBs......... He has a lot going for him, and time will tell.

One thing I know for sure is, I for one will be rooting for him when he gets his shot and hopefully he's good enough to make it.

Yup, he's got that high completion % going for him.

So you read that entire statistical and situational analysis that I linked of him and this year's class in 16 minutes? Impressive.

I wasn't a fan or impressed by plenty of QBs the Browns have had; Not being a fan of this one isn't a crime.

I also refuse to give Hue Jackson the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I'm definitely heaps more optimistic than I was with high school Mike.

Regarding Hue- ditto. We're looking at things differently- that's fine- if it works. Regarding Kessler- I did read the entire article Mike.

"Kessler finds his way into the upper third of this category overall, but while he completed a high percentage of third down passes and protected the ball reasonably well (two INTs in 108 throws), the USC quarterback picked up a first down on just 36.1% percent of those pass attempts. Going back to our previous category, we see that only about one-third of Kessler’s total pass attempts resulted in first downs, and now we have even more evidence that he simply wasn’t pushing the ball far enough downfield."

Sounds like a three yard completion on third and ten- Lord know we've seen that scenario played out too many times here in Cleveland.

"Cody Kessler and Prescott, two players who completed over 66% of their total pass attempts, show up at the bottom of this chart, indicating that their completion percentages have been padded by short throws."

His overall rating puts him right in the middle, and we pretty much drafted him right in the middle.

What is the breakdown of what percentage of completed passes by Pro QBs result in a first down? Let me see if I can find something on that.

Here is that data from the 2015 season.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/passing-first-down-percentage/2015/

36.1 % would be a bit above average.

Maybe we should have Carl Nassib pass the ball.....his brother led the league in this category.....with the 5 passes he threw.

A three yard completion to a running wide open Corey Coleman or Duke Johnson turns into six points real fast. Of course, he'll learn all about that watching RG3 blow this league apart this year!

Archived