THE BROWNS BOARD

Cruz campaign admits defeat

jbluhm86

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/ted-cruz-drops-out-of-presidential-race-222763

Ted Cruz is quitting the presidential race, according to campaign manager Jeff Roe, ending one of the best-organized campaigns of 2016 after a series of stinging defeats left Donald Trump as the only candidate capable of clinching the nomination outright.

Cruz had appeared likely to go all the way to the Republican convention, but a string of massive losses in the Northeast, and his subsequent defeat in Indiana, appear to have convinced him there’s no way forward.

John Kasich, however, pledged on Tuesday night to stay in the race until a candidate reaches 1,237 bound delegates.

From the start, Cruz has premised his candidacy on the idea that 2016 would be an election driven by resentment toward the established GOP order. It was a strategy that looked prescient as Cruz steadily rose in the polls throughout 2015 and broke into the top tier in Iowa in early 2016.

But what Cruz did not expect — what no one expected — is that he would be outmatched and outstripped in outsider anger by Trump. Cruz had maintained a fragile truce with Trump all of last year, but by the time he turned on the front-runner, the Manhattan businessman had already captured the voters Cruz was hoping would fuel his candidacy.

Cruz lost Indiana after pulling out all the stops: he struck a nonaggression pact with John Kasich. He bought TV ads. His supportive super PACs bought TV ads. He blitzed the Sunday shows. He barnstormed the state on a bus tour. He got the governor’s endorsement. He even named his running mate.

Losing despite all that represented the final nail in the coffin of Cruz’s months-long claim that conservatives were coalescing around his insurgent candidacy.

In early 2016, it had appeared that Cruz had executed masterfully his plan to consolidate conservatives and emerge as Trump’s main rival. In Iowa, he drove Govs. Rick Perry, Bobby Jindal and Scott Walker out of the race before the caucuses — and then crushed the two reigning winners, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum, on caucus day.

Even as he exited the race, Cruz had far surpassed most expectations in 2016, particularly in fundraising, as he tapped both big donors and an army of small ones as he became one of the race’s best-financed candidates. His constellation of super PACs raised the second most to Jeb Bush among Republicans last year. And ahead of super Tuesday, his campaign bragged about more than 200,000 volunteers nationwide.

For a 45-year-old only halfway through his first term in the Senate, those could be the building blocks of the future, especially for a Republican Party that, until 2016 at least, had long rewarded candidates seasoned by previous losing campaigns.

Look at the bright side though. Fiorina has plenty of experience laying off workers, so getting rid of all campaign staffers shouldn't be a problem.

She looked pissed all day. I said to my wife," goddamn Cruz's wife looks pissed" and my wife said, " thats not Cruz's wife it's Fiorirna, you really don't have a clue do you?"

OBF is curled up in a ball listening to "everybody hurts" in a loop.

LOL. nope I saw this coming. All the polls were showing Trump with a big lead. I also said I hoped Cruz would get out of the race if he did lose Indiana and I was glad to see he did. Here's why: for him to stay in the race to to try and have a contested convention was only going to help the establishment wing of the GOP at this point and Cruz owes them no favors.

John Kasich is their guy:

Statement from Kasich camp: “Gov. Kasich will remain in the race unless a candidate reaches 1,237 bound delegates before the Convention.”..........John Kasich says that not enough voters know that his dad was a mailman, and he VOWS to stay in the race until every single American voter hears at least ONE story about his mailman father. Kasich is fourth in a three man race still behind Rubio who dropped out weeks ago.

It Begins. The first ad in the many that will slaughter all the Republicans in November.

10 years from now students will be studying Cruz on the exact way to ruin a campaign by making God awful moves along the way. Good Lord, you look at the start to finish on this like I was last night and all you can say is "really?" over and over again.

10 years from now students will be studying Cruz on the exact way to ruin a campaign by making God awful moves along the way. Good Lord, you look at the start to finish on this like I was last night and all you can say is "really?" over and over again.

Cruz beat out 15 other republican candidates and was the last man standing against Trump so what does that say about the campaign of the other candidates? I guess they will talk about how they ruined their campaigns for the next 20 years?

Cruz beat out 15 other republican candidates and was the last man standing against Trump so what does that say about the campaign of the other candidates? I guess they will talk about how they ruined their campaigns for the next 20 years?

Cruz was so off putting that he was defeated by the host of Celebrity Apprentice while initially being a front runner for the nomination.

He will return to his lair and torture some more animals.

Cruz was so off putting that he was defeated by the host of Celebrity Apprentice while initially being a front runner for the nomination.

He will return to his lair and torture some more animals.

So what does that say about the 15 other republican candidates Cruz beat out? Didn't they lose to the same celebrity apprentice not to mention Bush had 150 million war chest and the endorsement of the republican establishment.

BTW - show me where Cruz was ever supposed to be the front runner.

The Republican Race

Just days before the Republican presidential candidates square off in their first debate, Donald Trump is in the top spot among Republican primary voters nationally - 24 percent support him as the nominee. Trump is followed by Jeb Bush (13 percent), Scott Walker (10 percent), Mike Huckabee (eight percent), Ben Carson (six percent), Ted Cruz (six percent), and Marco Rubio (six percent). Further down are Rand Paul (4 percent) and Chris Christie (3 percent). Other contenders are below three percent. Nine percent of Republican primary voters say they don't know who they want as the nominee at this point.

Yes but that only offends bitter little assholes who weren't going to vote for any Republican anyway.

WSS

Umm... I would say it held secure a large portion of the conservative/Evangelical group. Being the most Jesus-y can win you this group, but hurt you with some in the middle. The group you described wouldn't vote Rep either way, like you said, so that doesn't matter.

I would guess that, as we keep moving forward, the Jesus-ness Help/Hurt ratio overall will keep moving towards Hurt.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/bill-maher-mocks-hillarys-pandering-bible-comment-obamas-bullsht-faith

Here you go Woody, it's from The Daily Show not the Blaze...

I do give you credit though it seems I recall you supporting Bernie Sanders and he has not preached from the podium comma at least not much as far as I can tell.

WSS

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/bill-maher-mocks-hillarys-pandering-bible-comment-obamas-bullsht-faith

Here you go Woody, it's from The Daily Show not the Blaze...

I do give you credit though it seems I recall you supporting Bernie Sanders and he has not preached from the podium comma at least not much as far as I can tell.

WSS

What's your point? That politicians embellish their faith to get elected? No shit.

I would guess, on average, it's some liberals moving to "religious enough" and some conservatives moving to "very religious".

What's your point? That politicians embellish their faith to get elected? No shit.

I would guess, on average, it's some liberals moving to "religious enough" and some conservatives moving to "very religious".

I think you know my point. Democrats spend a lot of time screeching about anything the Republicans say concerning religion. If it's Obama or Hillary they let it slide.

WSS

I think you know my point. Democrats spend a lot of time screeching about anything the Republicans say concerning religion. If it's Obama or Hillary they let it slide.

WSS

Ya I really wouldn't equate "The Bible is my favorite book" and "I go to church" with "Let's all pray for rain!" and "God says it's a sin for these two men to marry!"

I would look a little harder at the content that caused the "screeching"

Is Wright an elected official?

☆ no, he's President Obama's spiritual mentor☆

If Jesus were alive today, there are a handful of issues I'd think he'd disagree with Republicans on. I think he'd basically be a hippie.

☆ give me a list of those issues.. and if you are correct I'm assuming you will be getting baptized soon?☆

WSS

Archived