THE BROWNS BOARD

Don't Get Fooled Again, No No

The Gipper

People here are already talking about what the Browns will do in the next draft since we have a couple of picks....and are citing various predictions about who will be drafted high then.

Well, I say: Don't Get Fooled Again. Looking at a Mock draft this early for next years draft as a measure of who is to be taken is laughable. Here is a mock draft that was put forth on September 5th of last year....at the beginning of the college and pro football season about who will get drafted where...and it looks little like the actualy draft:

1 Raiders Robert Nkemdiche DE Ole Miss 6-4 280 4.86

2 Jaguars Spencer Drango OT Baylor 6-5 315 5.15

3 Bills Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State 6-4 235 4.87

4 Cardinals Myles Jack LB UCLA 6-1 230 4.56

5 Browns Kendall Fuller CB Virginia Tech 5-11 195 4.46

6 Jets Le'Raven Clark OT Texas Tech 6-5 320 5.06

7 Titans Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh 6-2 185 4.49

8 Chargers Ellis McCarthy DT UCLA 6-4 330 5.18

9 Bucs Christian Covington DT Rice 6-3 295 5.09

10 Chiefs A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama 6-3 320 5.18

11 Cowboys Jaylon Smith LB Notre Dame 6-3 230 4.67

12 Panthers Tyler Johnstone OT Oregon 6-6 283 5.08

13 Bears Tyrone Swoopes QB Texas 6-4 241 4.87

14 Dolphins Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida 5-11 194 4.49

15 Vikings Joey Bosa DE Ohio State 6-5 285 4.84

16 Lions Montavious Adams DT South Alabama 6-1 273 5.25

17 Eagles Brandon Facyson CB Virginia Tech 6-1 191 4.55

18 Rams Alex Collins RB Arkansas 5-11 216 4.52

19 Giants Kevin Hogan QB Stanford 6-4 229 4.72

20 Bengals Su'a Cravens S USC 6-1 225 4.62

21 Colts Ereck Flowers OT Miami 6-5 322 5.26

22 Steelers Nate Andrews S Florida State 5-11 209 4.59

23 Redskins Marcus Peters CB Washington 6-0 198 4.52

24 Falcons Derrick Henry RB Alabama 6-3 238 4.54

25 Seahawks Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss 6-5 315 5.23

26 Ravens Chris Jones DT Mississippi State 6-4 300 5.12

27 Saints Donovan Smith OT Penn State 6-5 335 5.12

28 Packers Jalen Ramsey CB Florida State 6-1 195 4.50

29 Patriots Sammie Coates WR Auburn 6-2 201 4.36

30 Texans Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss 6-2 224 4.54

31 Broncos Kris Frost LB Auburn 6-2 235 4.65

32 49ers Jacoby Glenn CB Central Florida 6-0 178 4.54

http://www.nfldraftroom.com/p/2016-nfl-mock-draft.htmlaiders

I am seeing only 6 players who were predicted to be 1st rounders actually going in the first round....and look at those QBs.

No sign of Wentz/Goff/Lynch etc. etc.

So, while it is fun to predict......don't get fooled into thinking that these early predictions will have anything remotely accurate to what actually happens a year from now.

How did Sammie Coates from Auburn get on that? He was drafted in 2015. Same for Marcus Peters. Maybe others but I'm as lazy as the guy who put this together so I'm not looking any more up.

Gipper, have you completely forgotten those conversations you had with various people recently where you were imploring the browns to take this player or the other because the mock drafts from a year ago had him at the top?

And now here you are warning us all to not get caught up in who is at the top of this mock draft.

But rather than admit (or even see) the irony you'll try to twist it in some fashion to make yourself come out smelling of roses.

How did Sammie Coates from Auburn get on that? He was drafted in 2015. Same for Marcus Peters. Maybe others but I'm as lazy as the guy who put this together so I'm not looking anymore up.

Also Ereck Flowers, Marcus Peters, possibly some other names I don't recognise.

Gipper, have you completely forgotten those conversations you had with various people recently where you were imploring the browns to take this player or the other because the mock drafts from a year ago had him at the top?

And now here you are warning us all to not get caught up in who is at the top of this mock draft.

But rather than admit (or even see) the irony you'll try to twist it in some fashion to make yourself come out smelling of roses.

Well, my shit don't stink, that is for sure. But I don't think my story has changed. I still think those guys taken at the top may not prove to be the best QBs coming out of this class. (But note that I said that Lynch WAS the one guy that was ranked highly early in the College football season.)

And I am simply saying that like Goff and Wentz, don't be surprised if many guys that are rated highly now are not thought to be so hot come April....and vice versa.....guys you don't see on the radar now may become the hot commodity then.

(but is also does not mean that those guys who become hot commodities then are really all that hot. Remember, NO ONE had Wentz going anywhere near the first round until the end of February....long long after he had thrown a meaningful pass in a game.

Also Ereck Flowers, Marcus Peters, possibly some other names I don't recognise.

If you are saying that some guys on this Sept. 15, 2015 Mock draft were actually drafted in the April 2015 draft, yet show up here, then I have no clue about that.

Honestly, I just took a random early season mock draft to use for comparison.

And look who these prognosticators said could be the #2 overall pick: Spencer Drango OT Baylor 6-5 315 5.15

Maybe we got a steal?

Maybe not...

How did Sammie Coates from Auburn get on that? He was drafted in 2015. Same for Marcus Peters. Maybe others but I'm as lazy as the guy who put this together so I'm not looking any more up.

Rice DT Christian Convington, too... Drafted by the Texans... So that's four.

Nice source, Gip...

Maybe not...

Rice DT Christian Convington, too... Drafted by the Texans... So that's four.

Nice source, Gip...

Yea, really.....it came from Walter Football mock draft database.

The point still applies. A lot of people some mocks thought would be first rounders at the beginning of the college football season are nowhere to be seen when the actual draft comes around....and vice versa.

Well, if the point is that just because players are projected in a certain round does not mean they are that level; then, I agree. I said before that all of these journalists are guessing as much as we are. Let's hope they get it wrong this time and our front office got it right.

Well, if the point is that just because players are projected in a certain round does not mean they are that level; then, I agree. I said before that all of these journalists are guessing as much as we are. Let's hope they get it wrong this time and our front office got it right.

You've got to bear in mind that, by and large, with an exception here or there, if the guys writing the pieces were good enough, they'd be working for a team, not an online blog.

Archived