THE BROWNS BOARD

Bills player tasered and arrested in Cleveland

NewEraDawg

Published : Saturday, 11 Apr 2009, 9:17 AM EDT

CLEVELAND, O.H. - Buffalo Bills defensive back Donte Whitner was arrested around 3am Saturday in Cleveland, Ohio.

Police in Cleveland have confirmed that the 23-year-old football player was arrested by off-duty police officers outside the House of Blues in Cleveland. He was arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Whitner has not been formally charged and has been released from the Cleveland City Jail.

Police in Cleveland say they were outside the House of Blues attempting to quell a near riot. Whitner allegedly attempted enter an area where numerous fights were occuring. Officers say that he began swinging his arms in a violent manner when police tried to restrain him then broke free and took a fighting stance. Officials say an officer had to deploy his taser so that officers could put Whitner in handcuffs.

Whitner spoke to News 4's affiliate in Cleveland and said he shouldn't have been tasered and that the truth will come out. He has been advised by his attorney not to make any comments to the media.

News 4 contacted the Bills and received a statement from the Vice President of Communications Scott Berchtold saying "we are aware of the report. At the present time we are attempting to gather all of the facts and will defer comment until that process is completed".

Whitner was drafted by the Bills with the team’s first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. He was the first player taken by the Bills from the Ohio State University since the team drafted Tim Anderson in 2004.

He is the third Bill's player who has been in trouble with the law. The NFL recently announced running back Marshawn Lynch will miss the first three regular 2009 season games after pleading guilty to a misdemenor in March. Ko Simpson, also a defensive back has been arrested this off-season.

Published : Saturday, 11 Apr 2009, 9:17 AM EDT

Whitner said he shouldn't have been tasered and that the truth will come out.

I'm sure it will Donte'....And I'm sure it'll show you are just another dumbass that seems to line the NFL sidelines these days.

...off-duty police officers...

I would assume that the "off-duty police officers" were wearing civilian clothes. If I were so stupid or so drunk (or both) to walk into a "near riot" area, I'd start swinging if someone tried to "restrain" me, unless I clearly saw that it was the po-po.

-Al

I would assume that the "off-duty police officers" were wearing civilian clothes. If I were so stupid or so drunk (or both) to walk into a "near riot" area, I'd start swinging if someone tried to "restrain" me, unless I clearly saw that it was the po-po.

-Al

That is my thinking as well. All these posters on here calling him a dumbass before the facts are in amazes me, though. As if the press gets it right so many times. :rolleyes:

When you're making millions of dollars you've GOT to use your head and AVOID trouble, not walk into it.

Whitner should have seen the riot breaking out and walked away, no fuss no problems, and if he was attempting to walk away he would have had grounds to press charges against the officers for harassment.

That is my thinking as well. All these posters on here calling him a dumbass before the facts are in amazes me, though. As if the press gets it right so many times. :rolleyes:

they're calling him a dumbass cause 9 outta 10 times if your arrested you did somethign wrong.

they're calling him a dumbass cause 9 outta 10 times if your arrested you did somethign wrong.

Fair enough, but until all the facts are in and the reasoning behind his behavior is explained - he could be a good guy in the wrong place - wo do not know fully the extent or degree of his jackassery. :P

Archived