THE BROWNS BOARD

Secret life of pets review

The Secret Life of pets

Universal

PG. 98 min

I've never been exactly sure what my feline companions Rusty and Haiku are up to when I'm not home.

I was hoping that THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS would shed some light on to that conundrum but as it turns out it's merely another animated kids film. Yes I know, another kids film, but seriously BFG, in this issue and last issues ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS were both big disappointments, especially since they came for the masters of the genre, Disney.

I found both of them slow and lackluster and worse than that I think little kids would have found them to be that way as well. This one is much different and comes from another up and coming animation powerhouse, Illumination Entertainment, the guys that created the world sensation minions in DESPICABLE ME.

Now one thing to note is that in the first two, the animation tries to be astounding, Earth shaking and amazing while in Pets it's pretty much the same animation illumination has been doing for years. And while the others rely heavily on the magnificence of the production, Pets leans more on rapid fire action and voice characterizations including Jenny Slate, Louis CK, Dana Carvey, Albert Brooks and Kevin Hart.

Single city girl Katie (Ellie Kemper) and her adoring and dedicated little terrier Max (CK) have the ideal relationship until one day the little guys life is turned upside down when she comes home with Duke (Eric Stonestreet) a big old mutt from the pound.

The actual secret is in the setup of the film. You see every day when Katie and all the pet owners, go to work all the animals from the apartment building get together to hang out with each other. There is quite a menagerie, including all manner of dogs and cats, birds and even a wandering guinea pig. Especially cool is the fact that each animal has his or her own distinct background and personality. That's why it's so important to pay attention to detail when casting the voice talent.

As a result of their quarrels Max and Duke wind up outside, lost in New York City. Max figures if he can find Dukes old master that he can get the big sloppy dog out of his life forever.

Unfortunately the two of them end up in grave peril thanks to not only the dog catcher but a nasty bunck of alley cats and eventually an underground society of evil unwanted pets bent on revenge against their ex masters.

This motley crew includes alligators who have been flushed down toilets, vicious dogs, a pig who has outlasted his usefulness do the tattoo parlor and snakes under the command of Snowball a a little (but tough as nails) white rabbit (Hart) who rules the sewer with an iron fist. Well, paw actually.

Now being pursued by no less than three groups of adversaries Max and Duke are forced to create an alliance and eventually become friends. Speaking of alliances, Gidget (Slate) a little white Pomeranian with a crush on Max organizes all of the apartment buildings pets into a rescue party.

From then on it's a fun action romp through the city avoiding peril and showing what teamwork can do, a fine lesson for the little kids.

While the fast and colorful action should keep the youngsters absorbed I personally loved the voice characterizations and the humor.

Does the entire story ended on a high note with happiness all around? I won't tell you, but lets face it friends this ain't Ingmar Bergman.

Take the kids or go along. It's a good time.

A

WSS

Archived