THE BROWNS BOARD

Which vets could be surprise cuts in 2009?

ImpactPlaya

With careful consideration,what current vets could get released in Browns when the training camp hits?

Keep this in mind,if the Browns draft a RB in RD 2......you just never know about Jamal Lewis's status.

I know the Browns need a vet to be a mentor to the rooks,but there is always a RB in the NFL that ends up being a "surprise" release.

Well Harrison is now in his what? 4th year? He's hardly a rookie anymore.

Personally I love the idea of drafting Shonn Green and pairing him with Harrison. A lake Erie thunder and lightning duo.

That would take a ton of pressure of Quinn (or whoever the starter is) in the offense and really help us to execute that WCO

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe getting Donald Brown with the 36th pick or a James Davis in the 4th round.

I really like Jennings speed, but in the game film I watched on him he didn't break many tackles which is something I look for in an NFL caliber back, that speed is going to be diminished once he plays at NFL speed so being able to get past the first wave is really important. However no matter who we draft I think we definitely need another RB, I just don't see Lewis offering us that much this year, if anything at all.

Steptoe.. he's my favorit player too.. I would cry for 6 whole seconds to see him cut. Shawn Smith.. 2 seconds of crying for him. pretty much anyone one else the DL other than Rogers would not be a shock.. They all pretty much suck other than him. David patten would not be a shock if he were cut before he ever got on the roster.. Man do we ever need an influx of bodies/talent at the WR spot...it's pathetic. I am not sure what the management is seeing that they are not bringing in 4-5 guys to fight for jobs.

With careful consideration,what current vets could get released in Browns when the training camp hits?

Keep this in mind,if the Browns draft a RB in RD 2......you just never know about Jamal Lewis's status.

I know the Browns need a vet to be a mentor to the rooks,but there is always a RB in the NFL that ends up being a "surprise" release.

As much as I would like to see the Browns upgrade the RB position, they just gave Lewis something like a $6 million bonus last month. So, I don't think he is going anywhere. You don't give a guy $6 mil that is now guaranteed and say bye.

It's a very good question though. Some veterans are most likely here for protection against injury and just in case something happens with the draft. I don't think you can look at guys who just got big roster bonuses, but you look at guys whose salary doesn't kick in until they make the 53 man roster.

Fraley might be in trouble if they draft a center like Wood or Mack because they have Hadnot as a backup. Sorenson might be in trouble if they draft a safety. I'd say S. Smith and maybe Leon Williams if they get a ILB like Brinkley. Maybe even Bell if he can't stay healthy through camp. Also, someone like Poteat because I think he was signed to a non-guaranteed contract. He has to make the team for his contract to kick in.

Very good question because we do have a group of marginal guys on non guaranteed contracts.

Guest Aloysius
Isn't Donald Brown a small shifty back like Harrison though?

We definitely need two styles of backs to keep defenses on their toes and for situational rushing.

Brown's a much more physical runner. There's even been some talk of the Eagles drafting him in Round 1 to pair with Brian Westbrook and be the guy to fix their chronic short yardage issues.

I'm hearing Brown might not make it out of the first round.

Yeah, he probably won't.

Just watched a lot of film on Brown. Heck is right that Donald's not quite on DeAngelo Williams' level in terms of cutting ability, but he's a tougher runner in between the tackles. Charlie Casserly says that Brown reminds him a lot of Domanick Davis, who looked pretty good in Houston before knee issues ended his career.

And Brown's said to be the type of guy you want your daughter to marry, which gives his draft stock an added boost.

Fraley might be in trouble if they draft a center like Wood or Mack because they have Hadnot as a backup. Sorenson might be in trouble if they draft a safety. I'd say S. Smith and maybe Leon Williams if they get a ILB like Brinkley. Maybe even Bell if he can't stay healthy through camp. Also, someone like Poteat because I think he was signed to a non-guaranteed contract. He has to make the team for his contract to kick in.

Fraley would be a shocker due to the fact he's a smart center and would be perfect to keep around a season to teach an up and comer.

Smith is still hovering and wasn't worth a damn all season, the only time he managed to hit a qb it was in the locker room. He stood up and quite on plays every bit as much Ted Washington. Worthless, completely worthless. I'd take Ethan Kelley back in a heartbeat over this scrub.

Leon Williams, he's a good special teamer and isn't the worst guy out there, well, he wasn't when we had Davis.

Lewis would be a shocker for 2 reasons. 1, we've shelled out some big cash already and 2, the younger guys can only benefit from his offseason conditioning program. Unless Wells falls to us in the 2nd by the grace of God he'll still be here.

Poteat would not be a surprise if we draft a corner or even bring in an UFA.

If Bell isn't healthy I don't see his staying around to justify a 4th rounder by the previous crew.

Rucker might be a shocker to everyone else and I think we'd swap him draftday to move up a few spots before we cut him. He doesn't fit the mold for the offense. He's more likely to be out of here next season than this one.

Sorenson is out of here as soon as we draft a safety or Cribbs is moved back there.

I think Hadnot has a shot at getting the ax if we draft a guard.

But yeah, we're both in line on most of these guys.

Archived