THE BROWNS BOARD

Rex Ryan sees Rey Maualuga as the next Ray Lewis! (It says he's a temptation for the Browns)

PlaygroundLegend

USC's Maualuga a big temptation for Browns By Marla Ridenour

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 09:10 p.m. EDT, Apr 04, 2009

Rey Maualuga might prove to be one of the ultimate conundrums of this month's NFL Draft.

When it comes to the senior inside linebacker from USC, there is so much for coaches and general managers to fall for. The long, flowing hair of a Troy Polamalu. The punishing tackles of a Ray Lewis. The game-changing plays of a Junior Seau.

Ohio State quarterback Todd Boeckman and receiver Brian Hartline know plenty about the latter, giving chase on Maualuga's 48-yard interception return for a touchdown last September that turned a supposed slugfest into a 35-3 rout.

But for teams considering Maualuga in the first round, there are just as many concerns.

In 2005, he was arrested for punching a man at a Halloween party. In 2006 he was disciplined by coach Pete Carroll, reportedly for unruly behavior at a fraternity party. Maualuga blames both on immaturity, fueled by the attitude he could do anything he wanted while his father was dying of brain cancer.

Before January's Rose Bowl, Maualuga danced seductively behind ESPN sideline reporter Erin Andrews. His senior season was marred by missed tackles, most notably in a 27-21 loss to Oregon State, but he still won the Chuck Bednarik Award as the nation's top defensive player. He developed a reputation as one who needs watching by strong locker-room leaders. Standing 6-foot-2, he weighed nearly 270 pounds before the bowl game, but had dropped to 249 at the combine.

Once considered by Browns fans as a possible savior for their struggling defense, Maualuga has seen his draft stock slip into the middle of the first round. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. doesn't deem Maualuga worthy of the Browns' fifth overall pick on April 25.

''This year he wasn't as consistent, he didn't make the type of plays at the line of scrimmage to be that Seau, that wow type of player,'' Kiper said in a recent conference call. ''He was a wow player as a junior. He could go in that 20[th pick] area. He's certainly got a lot of ability, but this year he didn't have a top-10 type of year.''

USC linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr., who played 13 years for the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers, offers a strong case to succumb to the temptation of Maualuga.

''He has a very strong presence. When he's on the field, you know it,'' Norton said last week. ''He's very explosive. He can cause havoc, blow things up.

''He has a certain swagger — very confident, very successful, very dominant. He would certainly be a good nucleus to build around. I had him four years and I wish I had him four more years. It would be hard to pass him up.''

Norton said Maualuga's partying ways were merely ''a young college student who moved away from home having some fun. He was in a very high-profile city on a high-profile team. When people find out, it becomes a big deal.

''As he's gotten older and matured, he realized he shouldn't do those things. He's stayed out of trouble.''

As for Maualuga's tendency to overrun plays, considered one of his biggest weaknesses, Norton said Maualuga was merely doing as he was told.

''My style of coaching him is to play real fast, really attack the line of scrimmage,'' Norton said. ''I've got him coming so fast that when a running back sees it's Rey Maualuga, he will cut back into the rest of the defense. It looks like he's overrunning, but he's really doing what I coached him to do. I coached him to be a north-south guy.''

Maualuga admitted at the combine that's something he must work on.

''I tend to zone out,'' he said. ''When you watch guys like Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu make magnificent plays, you try to do it. I tend to leave my feet and overrun plays and be a player I'm not. Coach always teaches me that it's all about making the plays you're supposed to make and not plays that go beyond your ability. I learned to tone it down a little bit.''

Off the field, Maualuga might have been staggered by the loss of his father his freshman year, just two days before USC lost the national championship to Texas in the 2006 Rose Bowl. He is also driven to provide for his mother after the poverty-plagued days of his youth.

He confirmed a story about his family living in a church attic when they were kicked out of their tiny apartment in Hawaii as his father pursued the ministry. Maualuga was born in Oklahoma when his father served in the U.S. Army, but the Maualugas moved to Honolulu, to Oxnard, Calif., then to Eureka, Calif.

''Things were rough growing up. You learn from it and you pick up from there,'' Maualuga said. ''You hope things never go back to the way it was.''

Maualuga said he came to the combine to get ''rediscovered'' and to show people who he really is. While there he deflected a comparison to Lewis made by New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator. When Ryan was asked whether there was another Ray Lewis in this draft, Ryan said, ''I think somebody has the first name.''

''I'm nowhere near Ray Lewis,'' Maualuga said. ''I'm just a guy coming out of college. I've got a lot to prove, a lot to work on. I respect Ray Lewis. I'm way far away from his game.''

Norton didn't go as far as Ryan, but privately might agree with him.

When asked whether Maualuga's interception against Ohio State was something he might repeat in the NFL, Norton said: ''He's going to do that all day. He excels in the passing game, in the running game, attacking blockers and destroying the opponent.

''Coming out of high school, it takes two years to understand what you're doing. He's had two years of being a front-line guy, playing the game at the highest level. Now he's mature, confident, understands he's very special. He'll take his game to a different level as an adult. The best is yet to come.''

Rey Maualuga might prove to be one of the ultimate conundrums of this month's NFL Draft.

When it comes to the senior inside linebacker from USC, there is so much for coaches and general managers to fall for. The long, flowing hair of a Troy Polamalu. The punishing tackles of a Ray Lewis. The game-changing plays of a Junior Seau.

Ohio State quarterback Todd Boeckman and receiver Brian Hartline know plenty about the latter, giving chase on Maualuga's 48-yard interception return for a touchdown last September that turned a supposed slugfest into a 35-3 rout.

But for teams considering Maualuga in the first round, there are just as many concerns.

In 2005, he was arrested for punching a man at a Halloween party. In 2006 he was disciplined by coach Pete Carroll, reportedly for unruly behavior at a fraternity party. Maualuga blames both on immaturity, fueled by the attitude he could do anything he wanted while his father was dying of brain cancer.

Before January's Rose Bowl, Maualuga danced seductively behind ESPN sideline reporter Erin Andrews. His senior season was marred by missed tackles, most notably in a 27-21 loss to Oregon State, but he still won the Chuck Bednarik Award as the nation's top defensive player. He developed a reputation as one who needs watching by strong locker-room leaders. Standing 6-foot-2, he weighed nearly 270 pounds before the bowl game, but had dropped to 249 at the combine.

Once considered by Browns fans as a possible savior for their struggling defense, Maualuga has seen his draft stock slip into the middle of the first round. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. doesn't deem Maualuga worthy of the Browns' fifth overall pick on April 25.

''This year he wasn't as consistent, he didn't make the type of plays at the line of scrimmage to be that Seau, that wow type of player,'' Kiper said in a recent conference call. ''He was a wow player as a junior. He could go in that 20[th pick] area. He's certainly got a lot of ability, but this year he didn't have a top-10 type of year.''

USC linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr., who played 13 years for the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers, offers a strong case to succumb to the temptation of Maualuga.

''He has a very strong presence. When he's on the field, you know it,'' Norton said last week. ''He's very explosive. He can cause havoc, blow things up.

''He has a certain swagger — very confident, very successful, very dominant. He would certainly be a good nucleus to build around. I had him four years and I wish I had him four more years. It would be hard to pass him up.''

Norton said Maualuga's partying ways were merely ''a young college student who moved away from home having some fun. He was in a very high-profile city on a high-profile team. When people find out, it becomes a big deal.

''As he's gotten older and matured, he realized he shouldn't do those things. He's stayed out of trouble.''

As for Maualuga's tendency to overrun plays, considered one of his biggest weaknesses, Norton said Maualuga was merely doing as he was told.

''My style of coaching him is to play real fast, really attack the line of scrimmage,'' Norton said. ''I've got him coming so fast that when a running back sees it's Rey Maualuga, he will cut back into the rest of the defense. It looks like he's overrunning, but he's really doing what I coached him to do. I coached him to be a north-south guy.''

Maualuga admitted at the combine that's something he must work on.

''I tend to zone out,'' he said. ''When you watch guys like Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu make magnificent plays, you try to do it. I tend to leave my feet and overrun plays and be a player I'm not. Coach always teaches me that it's all about making the plays you're supposed to make and not plays that go beyond your ability. I learned to tone it down a little bit.''

Off the field, Maualuga might have been staggered by the loss of his father his freshman year, just two days before USC lost the national championship to Texas in the 2006 Rose Bowl. He is also driven to provide for his mother after the poverty-plagued days of his youth.

He confirmed a story about his family living in a church attic when they were kicked out of their tiny apartment in Hawaii as his father pursued the ministry. Maualuga was born in Oklahoma when his father served in the U.S. Army, but the Maualugas moved to Honolulu, to Oxnard, Calif., then to Eureka, Calif.

''Things were rough growing up. You learn from it and you pick up from there,'' Maualuga said. ''You hope things never go back to the way it was.''

Maualuga said he came to the combine to get ''rediscovered'' and to show people who he really is. While there he deflected a comparison to Lewis made by New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator. When Ryan was asked whether there was another Ray Lewis in this draft, Ryan said, ''I think somebody has the first name.''

''I'm nowhere near Ray Lewis,'' Maualuga said. ''I'm just a guy coming out of college. I've got a lot to prove, a lot to work on. I respect Ray Lewis. I'm way far away from his game.''

Norton didn't go as far as Ryan, but privately might agree with him.

When asked whether Maualuga's interception against Ohio State was something he might repeat in the NFL, Norton said: ''He's going to do that all day. He excels in the passing game, in the running game, attacking blockers and destroying the opponent.

''Coming out of high school, it takes two years to understand what you're doing. He's had two years of being a front-line guy, playing the game at the highest level. Now he's mature, confident, understands he's very special. He'll take his game to a different level as an adult. The best is yet to come.''

I think that this article proves that Rey is potentially worth a number 5 pick. Ive been seeing alot of articles, and heard some recent radio talk about the browns and Rey.They're bringing him in for a workout, I'm excited.

If anyone has been reading his interviews, he is a really humble guy. He just loves to play football, andisnt that the exact type of guy Mangenius wants? FOOTBALL PLAYERS

Before January's Rose Bowl, Maualuga danced seductively behind ESPN sideline reporter Erin Andrews.

I thought that was hilarious and was amazed that anyone would make a big issue of it. He's a college kid for God's sake....This is the kind of stuff they do. So what?! I wish I could dance behind her!

I chuckle every time I see it.

Guest Aloysius

Don't see any quotes from Rex Ryan comparing Rey to Ray. What I do see is an interview question asked by Ryan to gauge Rey's character/ego, and - to his credit - Rey appears to have responded well. He could've pulled a Marcus Vick, who publicly said before the '07 draft that he was better than his brother.

Guest Aloysius
I thought that was hilarious and was amazed that anyone would make a big issue of it. He's a college kid for God's sake....This is the kind of stuff they do. So what?! I wish I could dance behind her!

I chuckle every time I see it.

It's classic idiot behavior, kind of like when Percy Harvin did this:

But you're right - it's not the biggest of issues. Stuff like this bothers me a lot more:

Did I miss out on Rey getting drunk and killing someone?

I see a kid dedicated to the game, who loves the game, and who puts it all out there every every play.

He's not as smart as Little Animal BUT he has some real big play potential that we've been lacking for so long on the defensive side of the ball.

Throw Rey back there this season and a guy like Taylor Mays next and we'll have some solid pieces for a defense that can make some serious runs at the AFC North.

Add a few more pieces and making a run for the AFC championship.

Solidify the offense and we're in the Superbowl.

We've discussed Rey before. Rey? Steroid rage? or just trying to be a big name, feared defensive player?

Can he be a great player ? Absolutely. Can he be a disgrace to the team that drafts him? Yep.

With the "dancing" behind Andrews, he doesn't respect women or himself. That happened last January?

Let him decide what he wants to be somewhere else. I wouldn't take the chance.

Unless you can figure he really has grown up and there is no worry. But....

Rey's hit on the KS qb reminds me of this extreme cheapshot by Troy "dumbass" Pollymoomoo:

We've discussed Rey before. Rey? Steroid rage? or just trying to be a big name, feared defensive player?

Can he be a great player ? Absolutely. Can he be a disgrace to the team that drafts him? Yep.

With the "dancing" behind Andrews, he doesn't respect women or himself. That happened last January?

Let him decide what he wants to be somewhere else. I wouldn't take the chance.

Unless you can figure he really has grown up and there is no worry. But....

Rey's hit on the KS qb reminds me of this extreme cheapshot by Troy "dumbass" Pollymoomoo:

God forbid we get a horrible player like polamalu...hahahahahahahahah

Haha is right. I was very high on Rey, a lot of us were, and he could be a great player for the Browns.

But he's grown and matured, and still did the Andrews thing? Why?

Will he be a goofball Terrell Owens kind of distraction when he's rich in the pros?

Or a quiet dramatic impact to the defense ?

I'd have long walks and talks with Rey before I'd take the chance, that's all. And,

I'd trade down a little to boot.

If anything, I applaud him for his restraint in the situation....

Most people could restrain themselves a little more on national television. Thousands of other football players have restrained themselves from looking like a fool in her presence.

But he's grown and matured, and still did the Andrews thing? Why?

Oh no!!! A college kid did a seductive dance behind a girl on TV!!!!! Oh no!!! He's awful!!!

There is a fine line between doing the right thing and being a self righteous prude who is the first to throw rocks.

You are crossing that fine line with this constant reference to his doing this thing to Andrews.

What about the over all common sense thing ? Do you think that was the worse thing he does? or maybe it is only a give-away of things to come ? You are suggesting giving Millions of sheckels to a man that can't even think about business on national TV . It seems like a TO move to me with more to come after the pay day .

It's just a clear indication of his lack of judgement and respect for other people.

It isn't that big of a deal, except in the pro's, he is far more a role model for kids.

But that isn't the only thing he's done to warrant a skeptical look at his behavior, to make

sure you may draft him with confidence he won't be a farging joke with your team and your fans.

I cant believe you guys are still hung up on that whole Andrews ordeal. He was just joking around, its called having a sense of humor. His intention was not to be disrespectful, nor was it to embarrass anyone, it was simply him just playing around. I actually think it shows good character, I think it shows that he isnt a stiff like some of you are. Plus, since the media made such a big ordeal about it, he apologized to Erin Andrews anyway, and I do believe she said she would like to interview him in the future.

What I think amazes me here, is that we have the NFL's number 1 defensive coordinator basically saying Maualuga is the real deal, and we continue to focus on the negative. Lets look on the bright side for once folks. Geeze, the mood is heavy on this board right now

... it was simply him just playing around. I actually think it shows good character, I think it shows that he isnt a stiff like some of you are.

I'd love to read/hear more on this justification. :rolleyes:

When I watched that clip the 2nd thing I thought of (after immediately thinking "That just cost him $5-10 million") was this:

WillFerrell-WeddingCrashers.jpg

Not the image of our starting ILB....

Again read what I put in bold. and then ask yourself this question. You are out in a bar and you girlfriend is out dancing on the dance floor without you. And then some guy comes up and starts dancing suggestively behind her like that. You don't think you'd have a little bit of a problem with some strange guy doing that to your girlfriend?

Apples to oranges

In a bar? yes, I'd mind it. But at the same time, I'm in a bar so what should I expect?

If I were Erin Andrews boyfriend ( God, I like the sound of that!) and I would've have seen this thing with Rey? It wouldn't have bother me in the least that it happened.....I would've have thought, "Yeah, she's hot and she mine Rey!"

To many serious folks right now on this board.

and he was being a typical college kid, probably just having a little fun.

thats what worry's me......football players are not typical college students.....

the fact that he does not understand this makes me wonder what other simple ideas rey has failed to learn while at college.

Archived