THE BROWNS BOARD

Should we resign JJ ?

BrownIndian

The more I look at our offense the more worried I get. We need a stop gap solution. Someone who can answer our call for 2 years atleast since we dont have the draft picks to fill in most of the needs. Having JJ, Patten, Edwards will atleast make our offence decent and we can use our draft picks to fix more defensive issues. And next year go offense .... JJ is more proven that Maclin or Crabtree.

Guest Masters

JJ also has a long injury history, just missed a full year, and coming back from serious knee injuries. I'd take may chances with a first round rookie over him at this point. Now if CLE doesn't take a WR in the first day and coming camp the WR list looks like it does now, I'd give him a look

I feel ya bro, but we need someone better than JJ. Nothing against Joe, but if he is anything other than our 4th or 5th WR - and I know he was good - then we are underestimating the skill and talent of NFL defenses. We need some young studs to develop, not stop gap after stop gap every year. If there is a time to be patient and find some young studs to develop, now is the time, IMO.

Guest Masters
JJ would be good as a slot, he can still draw a PI call with the best of them, and lets remember he wasn't out all last year with a knee injury, his knee was healed, it was the staph infection that kept him out of action.

But that staph was eating away at the repaired area in his knee. All the same to me.

Could be the case, but how much does it cost to bring him in for training camp and see how far he can go?

If he's not healed it will be evident pretty damn quick.

spot on.

besides, how many players are there who want to play for Browns cos they were a fan of Browns .... JJ has experience with DA and BQ in training camp and 07 season. I'm not opposed to us signing rookies but with more pressing needs that are better addressed by the drafts we need not waste our draft pick this year on a WR esp with so much LB talent around.

spot on.

besides, how many players are there who want to play for Browns cos they were a fan of Browns .... JJ has experience with DA and BQ in training camp and 07 season. I'm not opposed to us signing rookies but with more pressing needs that are better addressed by the drafts we need not waste our draft pick this year on a WR esp with so much LB talent around.

JJ, if healthy is a slot receiver, a #3 receiver. Patton, at this time in his career, is a slot receiver, also a #3 guy. Neither can play outside and spread the defense. They both can be single covered. JJ can be covered by a fast LB or safety. They do nothing to keep teams from doubling Edwards and taking him out of the game.

This team needs a receiver that can split wide opposite Edwards and make teams take their safety out of the box to help in coverage. Without another very solid WR who can command more then single coverage and spread out a defense there will be a lot more quarters where the offense doesn't score.

Sign him and see if he can make the cut.

You sign him to a non-guaranteed contract. He must make the team for the contract to kick in. We have a lot of players that have non-guaranteed contracts. Some with roster bonuses if they make the 53 man roster.

Just my take on all this but i believe it will end up being hardball with JJ, realizing no one else will sign him he will come back to the table. OR....we dont have a recievers coach yet right? I think he would be a great guy to fill that role. Just my two cents.

I would have loved to see JJ come back but what was it 1 out of 3 seasons he played?

When you're a team that was decimated by injuries it's hard to keep a guy around that can't stay healthy.

Maybe the contract we offered was big enough but since nothing was guaranteed JJ shot it down.

We don't know the terms offered, we don't know what JJ wanted.

This new staff shows the most promise out of all that we've had since we've been back but the being kept in the dark after so many years of free flowing news just sucks ass.

If daboll is going to be running a WCO type offense we are going to need a RB that can find and hit the holes and doesnt tire fast but we have so many other pressing needs that i dont see JL going anywhere this year...

But with mankok rebuilding who knows i doubt they themselves know what they are doing right now...hehehehehe ;)

Archived