THE BROWNS BOARD

Bill Simmons take on MVP

Buckeye_2391

Hi Everyone

Long Time Reader, First Time Poster (always wanted to use that line)

I have been reading the BrownsBoard for quite a while now. I began reading the board right at the beginning of the Browns 07 season, or as I liked to call it, the season the sun shined on the dogs a@@. I am optimistic about the Browns chances with Mangini and cannot wait for the draft, but I digress.

The reason for the post is I read Bill Simmons' take on the MVP race for the NBA. I am beginning to come around to Bill Simmons as he truly reads like a sports fan.

His take for NBA MVP is LeBron James but I will let the man's words speak for themselves:

1. LeBron James

And not just because he finally put together that insane package of skills. LeBron submitted the most convincing MVP season since Shaq's 2000 campaign. Four things to consider beyond all the obvious stuff:

1. Only seven teams won 67-plus games and the title: the '96 Bulls (72 wins), '97 Bulls (69), '72 Lakers (69), '67 Sixers (68), '86 Celts (67), '92 Bulls (67), '00 Lakers (67). Each of those teams had at least two HALL OF FAMERS. LeBron played with Mo Williams, who made the All-Star Game only as an injury replacement. Same goes for Cleveland's record-tying 40-1 mark at home; the '86 Celtics did it in a more imposing building (the old Boston Garden) with five Hall of Famers (I'm including DJ, who should be in there). Will you be bouncing your grandkids on your lap and telling them about the time you saw Mo Williams play? What about Zydrunas Ilgauskas? Those 67-15 and 40-1 marks happened because of the day-to-day competitiveness of a player whose drive can only be described as "Jordanesque." Maybe he's not as ruthless -- and really, nobody will ever be as ruthless as Jordan -- but from a consistency standpoint, LeBron is right there.

2. Defensively, he improved to such a startling degree that he's also my Defensive Player of the Year. Considering that LeBron defended the other team's best scorer every night, played the free-safety role better than anyone since Scottie Pippen, defended four different positions, allowed his team to play small or big, and always seemed to have one momentum-altering block per game ... I mean, what more do you need?

3. Offensively, only four players since 1974 led their teams in total points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks: Dave Cowens (1978), Scottie Pippen (1995), Kevin Garnett (2003) and LeBron (2009). He also became the first top-three scorer to crack the top 25 in rebounds, assists, steals and blocks as well: 28.4 ppg (second), 7.2 apg (ninth), 7.6 rpg (25th), 1.69 steals (seventh), 1.15 blocks (23rd). Since Feb. 1, he's averaging a 29-8-8 and approaching the 50-40-80 Club in percentages (49 percent FG, 40 percent 3FG, 78 percent FT). Let's just say his statistical chops are in place.

4. And this is my favorite reason ...

Not since Magic Johnson has a superstar doubled as such a galvanizing teammate. If there's an enduring image of the '08-09 season, it's the way LeBron stamped his personality on everyone around him. They orchestrate goofy pregame intros (my favorite: the team snapshot), trade countless chest bumps, giggle on the sidelines, hang out on road trips and support each other in every way. What's telling about LeBron's in-traffic dunks -- and he unleashes them more frequently than anyone since Dominique -- is how he seeks out his bench for feedback, and even better, how they give it to him. It makes the forced camaraderie of the Lakers seem glaring. If you want to watch a team that pulls for each other and follows the lead of its best player, watch Cleveland.

And if you're a Cavs fan trying to talk yourself into LeBron staying after 2010, your best chance is this: Through 24 years, LeBron has proven to be an inordinately devoted guy. When you're with him, you're with him. The upcoming documentary (supposedly superb) about his high school years bangs this point home. So does the fact that he jettisoned his agents and surrounded himself with high school buddies. So does everything that happened this season. He's as good of a teammate as a player. The more I watch him, the more I wonder if such an intensely loyal guy would ever say, "Thanks for the memories, everybody," dump his teammates, dump his hometown and start a fresh life elsewhere. Although he isn't surrounded by the most talented players right now, collectively, it's a team in the truest sense, with a devoted set of appreciative fans, and maybe that's all LeBron James will need in the end.

I thought he was a goner four months ago. I think he's staying now. Regardless, he's our Most Valuable Player for 2009. It won't be the last time.

Link to Article

I personally love reason number 4. I think this is a very true statement and a lot of people in the area I live in (Houston) try to argue this point.

Thank you for this thread! It is a great piece! I totally agree with his logic...especially reason 4! Lebron is not going to leave Cleveland unless they give him ZERO reasons to stay. And...that will not happen!!! Sorry Knicks, but the MVP will remain a Cav. You might as well move on to plan D-Wade in New York!

Great post, thanks.

I really enjoy Simmons when he's writing about hoops. His podcasts are must listen. Can't say the same for his thoughts on baseball, but the man sure knows basketball.

FWIW, Phil Jackson was on the Dan Patrick radio show this morning and given the choice of starting a team with Paul, Wade, James or Howard...he chose Howard. Talked about the value of the bigs and their longevity.

Personally, I think he's nuts (at least until Howard develops a 15' jumper) but the man has the rings, not me.

Beanpot

Great post, thanks.

I really enjoy Simmons when he's writing about hoops. His podcasts are must listen. Can't say the same for his thoughts on baseball, but the man sure knows basketball.

FWIW, Phil Jackson was on the Dan Patrick radio show this morning and given the choice of starting a team with Paul, Wade, James or Howard...he chose Howard. Talked about the value of the bigs and their longevity.

Personally, I think he's nuts (at least until Howard develops a 15' jumper) but the man has the rings, not me.

Well, Phil has had enough time with a dominant big who can't shoot to save his life, and he still chose Howard. So that says something.

But Phil has a reputation of saying things in the media that send messages and motivate his team, but doing it in in-direct ways. There is an outside chance that this statement by Phil was a stamp of approval on the idea that Shaq was the key piece to those 3 Laker championships, and he's saying it to motivate Kobe.

That might make no sense to anyone else, but it makes sense to me and I wouldn't put it past Phil.

Archived