THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini 101

Kingphisher

I will admit that I was not in favor of signing him so quickly and felt that they should have waited to take a run at Shanahan or Gruden. But...I am giving the guy a chance because he did do well (in my opinion) with a not-so-good Jets team. Only time will tell if he is a football wiz in his insight with recent and proposed moves, or if he is scuttling a team that had potential (KW already gone, and BE and BQ rumors aflying). How does everyone else feel about the job he has done so far? My gut feeling is that he is making mistakes, but I am not a talent scout and Quinn slid to the 22nd for a reason.

From what I've read from disgruntled Jets fans, Mangini has some issues I am not quite happy with. Here's a quote I read from one of them.

I think Mangini WAS the problem. He seemed in over his head, at times making terrible game-management decisions. This team clearly played below expectations and I think much of that has to be put on Mangini’s shoulders. His refusal to rely more on the running game, for example. He made a number of questionable calls that cost the Jets games and seemed to be unable to make adjustments after halftime. While Mangini spent several years under the tutelage of excellent NFL coaches, I think he proved to be not up to the task yet of running a team by himself. It’s no knock on the guy — just that he wasn’t ready.

The general consensus seems: Poor clock management, being stiff as a board come halftime game changes, poor play calling... Seems oddly similar to the RAC years.

But then again I don't know how much of that was Mangini's fault. A lot of jets fans were sad to see him go.

I hold no opinion until I know the final roster and see the team play first.

He hasn't done anything to like or dislike. Maybe after the draft you could have something to say and if he doesn't win you can get the tar ready but, until then, I say kick ass and get rid of the overpaid bums.

I could give a shit about whose feathers he ruffles, it's about wins and loses.

So, until then, I have nothing bad to say about him and you can toss all the "he said, she said" garbage from Jet fans.

i have never liked the mangini hire. he was a guy that only one team interviewed and a guy that had one good season. when he gets fired in 3 years it will be good because he will be gone. however it will be bad because we will have had 3 more losing seasons. mangina sucks and he will unfortunately prove it in cleveland.

I have not been surprised by the changes he's made so far . Most of the basis for any real evaluation will not be in place till the W's or L's start piling up . I feel that all coaches deserve the room to operate , and I also enjoy the local press twist in the wind trying to scoop him . It shows me he has taken over in Berea and you will learn things at his pace . Bad for Tony and Mary Kay our opposition , and us . Good for him and the team

I'm still willing to give him chance at job #2. Nothing else we can do anyway.

I thought Bellicheck was a lump when in Cleveland. He obviously learned.

Agreed. I don't care as long as they build a young foundation that can win ALOT of games in the future. Hey Y-TOWN, are Wedgewood Pizza and Fred's New Life Restaraunt still in Younstown? I haven't lived there for a while, but I used to love Fred's Gyros and Wedgewood pizza!

I hate to say this but this is the problem with Cleveland fans. He has done nothing but get rid of some cancer and brought in some depth and on day one everyone hated the guy. He has a 0-0 record with us. IN CASE YOU GUYS HAVE'NT NOTICED, we sucked last year.

If we suck this year everyone will say fire Mangina we need to start over. Whoever we sign it will not matter, they don't stand a chance. We need to stick with someone and go with it. How many times do we want to rebuild???????????????

i have never liked the mangini hire. he was a guy that only one team interviewed and a guy that had one good season. when he gets fired in 3 years it will be good because he will be gone. however it will be bad because we will have had 3 more losing seasons. mangina sucks and he will unfortunately prove it in cleveland.

That's one persons opinion and you are entitled to it. I hope you are very wrong as do most Brown's fans. Fact is it is your opinion and is not based on anything realistic or his performance as a Brown's coach.

So, to your glass is half empty opinion......................there is no basis for it except pessimism

That's one persons opinion and you are entitled to it. I hope you are very wrong as do most Brown's fans. Fact is it is your opinion and is not based on anything realistic or his performance as a Brown's coach.

So, to your glass is half empty opinion......................there is no basis for it except pessimism

i'm hoping i'm dead wrong too. of course i want mangina to be great, i just don't have much faith in him. i hope to god he proves me wrong

Mangini is going to be interesting to watch. That's for sure. He's uncommonly tight lipped and plays his cards close to the vest. I just hope the fans remember he was on Belichick's staff in the last year of

"Browns Book 1" in 95. He got to see first hand what the whole staff and the fans went through after Art M. announced the team's imminent departure half way through the season. It's a good bet he probably knows the

Brown's fans are still in pain and still angry. He also spent time on Marchibroda's staff in Baltimore and Parcells staff with the Jets, before ending up on Bill B's staff again in N.E. Hopefully he learned from all their

mistakes. I kinda get the feeling this isn't just another NFL gig for him.

For an in depth read :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mangini

Agreed. I don't care as long as they build a young foundation that can win ALOT of games in the future. Hey Y-TOWN, are Wedgewood Pizza and Fred's New Life Restaraunt still in Younstown? I haven't lived there for a while, but I used to love Fred's Gyros and Wedgewood pizza!

I think the old man, Fernando is still there making pizza and has a couple of branches. I always liked them along with Cornersburg and I'm a Brier Hill Pizza lover. Don't know about Fred's, where was it? I was a westside guy and went to Chaney, played football and graduated with Jerry Angelo the GM of the Bears. His father was the coach so, I was around when Wedgewood first opened. It's about 3 times the size now.

I think the old man, Fernando is still there making pizza and has a couple of branches. I always liked them along with Cornersburg and I'm a Brier Hill Pizza lover. Don't know about Fred's, where was it? I was a westside guy and went to Chaney, played football and graduated with Jerry Angelo the GM of the Bears. His father was the coach so, I was around when Wedgewood first opened. It's about 3 times the size now.

Fred's was a dive down near YSU but had the best gyros in Y-town. Only place that came close was that hot-dog shop (name escapes me right now) on 224 in Boardman owned by that greek guy. I never really dug Cornersburg pizza, but Beleria pizza in Cornersberg was the bomb! Tel-star was another great place in Cornersberg on their 10 cent wing night. I lived near Cornersburg on the Boardman side but was in the Canfield school district.

Fred's was a dive down near YSU but had the best gyros in Y-town. Only place that came close was that hot-dog shop (name escapes me right now) on 224 in Boardman owned by that greek guy. I never really dug Cornersburg pizza, but Beleria pizza in Cornersberg was the bomb! Tel-star was another great place in Cornersberg on their 10 cent wing night. I lived near Cornersburg on the Boardman side but was in the Canfield school district.

I did YSU, but it was back in the 70s. They moved the Beleria Pizza around the corner. I actually was there last week, still great sauce. The Tel Star is gone. Handel's has franchised and has ice cream shops all over town. I'm out in Salem now but my mother still lives in Youngstown, actually Austintown. I take her a Wedgewood Pizza sometimes. Remember Noday's Deli on Mahoning Ave. They got some great wings.

I did YSU, but it was back in the 70s. They moved the Beleria Pizza around the corner. I actually was there last week, still great sauce. The Tel Star is gone. Handel's has franchised and has ice cream shops all over town. I'm out in Salem now but my mother still lives in Youngstown, actually Austintown. I take her a Wedgewood Pizza sometimes. Remember Noday's Deli on Mahoning Ave. They got some great wings.

I Forgot all about Handel's! I never went to Nodays's Deli. Is The Sandwich Factory still out there in Austintown? We used to stop there before going to see movies at the cinema in Austintown plaza. It's been about 15 years since I have been back so I need to make a trip back some day to see what has changed.

The Austinown Plaza, Mahoning Ave and Rt.46 area has changed so much in the last few years. There is actually a Quaker Steak and Lube in the Austintown Plaza now. I will be moving to FL next year and will really miss the area. We've been going down for winters few about 5 or 6 years and it's now time to make it permanent.

Mangini is going to be interesting to watch. That's for sure. He's uncommonly tight lipped and plays his cards close to the vest. I just hope the fans remember he was on Belichick's staff in the last year of

"Browns Book 1" in 95. He got to see first hand what the whole staff and the fans went through after Art M. announced the team's imminent departure half way through the season. It's a good bet he probably knows the

Brown's fans are still in pain and still angry. He also spent time on Marchibroda's staff in Baltimore and Parcells staff with the Jets, before ending up on Bill B's staff again in N.E. Hopefully he learned from all their

mistakes. I kinda get the feeling this isn't just another NFL gig for him.

For an in depth read :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mangini

good point about his witnessing first-hand in '95. it means a lot to us for our coach to be familiar w/ that situation and he mentioned our history in press conference 1. he's definitely taken control up there and made himself fully accountable. he walked in the building with a fresh approach that hasn't been taken here.....possibly ever. what do you want from a ballboy, right?

do you still think interviews aren't luxuries afforded to us Legacy Fan? take notice.

screw the politics, i love a guy who operates from a results-based performance style.

to whoever posted about him only having one interview what does that really mean? mangini didn't want to interview there? Ernie Accorsi was adamant in his referral of him? you're counting ghosts if you see merit in partial information like that.

i love it when people break the mold and eccentrics make me smile. mangini seems pretty sharp and well read, and best of all the staff is giving the opposition nothing to work with.

i'm all in.

I agree.

No doubt the guy is tight lipped, and the reason why there is a negative aura around him is because the media creates that. They don't like a coach who pretty much ignores them, and since our return the local media has had the keys to the complex.

They don't like it since the lock was changed and they didn't get a new key.

All that matters is if we take a step by step climb up the ladder and the players buy in and get the desired results.

I like a no nonsense coach. I couldn't care less if he is no fun to be around or he is never going to be president of the local "Toastmasters" chapter.

Just win, or at least look like a real NFL team.

I am tired of getting laughed at when I tell people I root for the Browns.

He isn't without fault but he'll hopefully learn from mistakes past...

He holds everyone accountable.

He doesn't air the laundry in public

He doesn't weaken himself or his organization by gabbing in public

He has EXCEPTIONAL clock management skills. Case in point. Last year in the Raiders game...Favre turns the ball over while losing and time winding down. Half the coaches in this league will watch that game end. Judicious clock management resulted in the Jets getting the ball back and tying the game. You NEVER see Mangini waste time outs. You NEVER see him challenge inconsistently and I bet his win% is better than average.

He irritates some fans by not being animated on the sidelines but I've heard it from a source extremely close to him: You can' dress down a PRO football player in front of thousands and expect him to keep playing for you. Calm coaches make good decisions.

I don't think you'll be disappointed Cleveland.

Well I wouldn't expect him to get many kudos points for being calm on the sidelines here in Cleveland. I think that was one of the biggest pet peeves of the fanbase with RAC.

But the thing with RAC is that he had this blank expressionless look on his face, he then backed up that "nobody's home" look with infuriating inaction stay the course crap that led to a 4-12 season.

At first, RAC 'n ROLLS didn't bother me too much looking like a dumbass but as time went on and the losses mounted up he started to piss me off.

I seem to remember Mangini showing disgust with DA........I mean Favre throwing away the playoffs on the sidelines, and I don't follow the queer Jets and their Queer New Yawk fans much.

I think Mangini is going to do just fine here, he's had his learning ground which is huge for us. The last thing we needed was another coordinator learning on the job.

I seem to remember Mangini showing disgust with DA........I mean Favre throwing away the playoffs on the sidelines, and I don't follow the queer Jets and their Queer New Yawk fans much.

LOL....I remember that play. If I read his lips correctly he said "Are you ****in' s*****n' me?!"

No doubt the guy is tight lipped, and the reason why there is a negative aura around him is because the media creates that. They don't like a coach who pretty much ignores them, and since our return the local media has had the keys to the complex.

They don't like it since the lock was changed and they didn't get a new key.

I think that the media doesn't like it when you make their jobs difficult. The Cleveland job (in particular) was very important to him because this is where it all started for him. His family is comfortable there since his brother-in-law is the GM of the Indians. The NY media needs everyone to lay down at their feet and when he wouldn't they set him up to fall. I'm not sure there wasn't a more egregious offender than Adam Schein (SNY, NFL network). He was badmouthing Mangini when they were still WINNING. The bottom line for me was Mangini beat Belichick in NE two out of three years including prime time last year when he outcoached him. He also followed that up by thumping Tennessee in Tennessee. That's not easy. Dude can coach. BTW, Wesleyan University doesn't just give out degrees. He's a smart cookie.

I think that the media doesn't like it when you make their jobs difficult. The Cleveland job (in particular) was very important to him because this is where it all started for him. His family is comfortable there since his brother-in-law is the GM of the Indians. The NY media needs everyone to lay down at their feet and when he wouldn't they set him up to fall. I'm not sure there wasn't a more egregious offender than Adam Schein (SNY, NFL network). He was badmouthing Mangini when they were still WINNING. The bottom line for me was Mangini beat Belichick in NE two out of three years including prime time last year when he outcoached him. He also followed that up by thumping Tennessee in Tennessee. That's not easy. Dude can coach. BTW, Wesleyan University doesn't just give out degrees. He's a smart cookie.

I was extremely unhappy when they hired him. I wanted Jim Schwartz. But I respect the things he's done so far. I like him removing the painting from the wall and keeping the media in the dark. Good for him.

I hope he rides that fine line of being a hard ass and getting the players respect without having them hate him. Ala, Wayne Woodrow Hayes.

Post like yours makes me feel even better about him.

I was extremely unhappy when they hired him. I wanted Jim Schwartz. But I respect the things he's done so far. I like him removing the painting from the wall and keeping the media in the dark. Good for him.

I hope he rides that fine line of being a hard ass and getting the players respect without having them hate him. Ala, Wayne Woodrow Hayes.

Post like yours makes me feel even better about him.

Point of Order............ please. People make it like he painted over the painting or got rid of it. Like he distroyed a national landmark. He just moved to to the main entrance so people coming in could see it.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I never imagined finding pics of the Brown's staff from 1995 would be so difficult.

At any rate, this story: http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2009/01/b...es_records.html

Has a pic of a young Mangini on his Browns ID card. The story is also a decent read.

Archived