THE BROWNS BOARD

Eagles trade for Peters

We need Tom Tupa

The Buffalo Bills have traded Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jason Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.

In exchange for Peters, the Bills receive the Eagles’ 28th overall pick of the first round as well as a second-day draft pick in this year’s draft and a late-round draft pick in 2010.

Peters has been unhappy with his contract and hasn’t been attending the Bills’ offseason activities after staging a holdout last summer at training camp.

Presumably, Peters will be seeking a new deal from his new employers.

The Eagles needed an offensive tackle after starter Tra Thomas left in free agency. Jon Runyan is a free agent and has been battling injuries.

The Buffalo Bills have traded Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jason Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.

In exchange for Peters, the Bills receive the Eagles’ 28th overall pick of the first round as well as a second-day draft pick in this year’s draft and a late-round draft pick in 2010.

Peters has been unhappy with his contract and hasn’t been attending the Bills’ offseason activities after staging a holdout last summer at training camp.

The Eagles needed an offensive tackle after starter Tra Thomas left in free agency. Jon Runyan is a free agent and has been battling injuries.

That's a great pickup for them. Now they will concentrate on a WR and RB. They have a bunch of picks and still have a first rounder.

Guest Aloysius

It's a high risk, high reward move for the Eagles. Peters is an elite left tackle when he's playing hard, but part of the reason Buffalo wouldn't pay him is that he's lazy. I'm sure the Eagles will put plenty of incentives and workout bonuses in his deal, but he could still slack off now that he's getting paid.

Should be interesting to see what the Bills do with their two firsts. Probably a tackle at #11 - Andre Smith or Michael Oher. And though they need another pass rusher, I could see them going with Brandon Pettigrew at #21, assuming he's still available. He'd be a huge help in the run game and could become a key part of their passing game, especially after TO leaves.

EDIT: Whoops, the Eagles gave up the #28, not the #21. My mistake.

It's a high risk, high reward move for the Eagles. Peters is an elite left tackle when he's playing hard, but part of the reason Buffalo wouldn't pay him is that he's lazy. I'm sure the Eagles will put plenty of incentives and workout bonuses in his deal, but he could still slack off now that he's getting paid.

Should be interesting to see what the Bills do with their two firsts. Probably a tackle at #11 - Andre Smith or Michael Oher. And though they need another pass rusher, I could see them going with Brandon Pettigrew at #21, assuming he's still available. He'd be a huge help in the run game and could become a key part of their passing game, especially after TO leaves.

I got the solution to make Peters play hard...

Make his contract dependent upon sacks given up. If he gives up zero sacks he gets full pay for the game, each sack reduces it by 25%... I think that would motivate him.

Not sure why this would knock them out of trading for a WR, depending on how close they felt they were to going all the way. They still have another 1st that could be used for Boldin or BE. Not sure what other needs they have in the draft.

Archived