THE BROWNS BOARD

Pluto: Orakpo at #5 and Alex Mack at #29 (from probable BE trade)

OconRecon

Terry Pluto's Talkin' ... about NFL draft strategies

by Terry Pluto/Plain Dealer Columnist

Saturday April 18, 2009, 11:03 PM

CLEVELAND -- About the Browns ...

Here's what I'm hearing a week away from the draft:

An NFL executive told me he's not heard much discussion about Brady Quinn being traded, but trading Braylon Edwards remains a real possibility. He believes the Browns want Aaron Curry (no secret there), but he's not sure they will take Michael Crabtree if Curry is gone at No. 5. "There are some good receivers who will go late first and in the second round," he said. "I really like Hakeem Nicks [North Carolina]. He could slip into the second round because he runs only a 4.55, but I like his size, his hands and he's the kind of guy who would fit with the Browns because I believe he's close to NFL ready."

Nicks is 6-1, 212 pounds. He supposedly was up to 225 pounds after the season, but is now back to 212. The Browns talk about "football players," guys who know how to play the game and have achieved at a high level -- more than just pure speed guys or athletes. That's Nicks, who set a school record for receptions in three years at North Carolina. He caught 12 TD passes, including three against West Virginia in a bowl game. He is very good in the medium-range passing game, and is supposed to be able to catch the ball in traffic and not easy to tackle in the open field. Boy, do the Browns need a guy like that.

Winner of the Lombardi Award, Texas' Brian Orakpo may be the best option at No. 5 for a Browns team that once again is finding it difficult to find a partner in order to move down in next week's draft.Assuming the Browns obtain the 29th pick from the Giants in a trade for Edwards, don't be surprised if they grab center Alex Mack at that spot. Or at 36, which is the Browns' second-round pick. Keep in mind that in his first draft with the New York Jets, Eric Mangini took two offensive linemen in the first round of 2006: left tackle D'Brickshaw Ferguson at No. 4 and Ohio State center Eric Mangold at No. 29. I can see Mack being Mangini's new version of Mangold, who has been a strong center with the Jets. Hank Fraley had a difficult season at center in 2008.

It's doubtful the Browns will be able to trade down. Most teams want to trade down, not up, because there are few -- if any -- sure superstar picks according to most scouts. I keep hearing there are a "a lot of good players" in the top 50, but it's hard to know who really belongs in the top 10 -- or even the top five.

It's very possible the Browns will go with Brian Orakpo at No. 5. GM George Kokinis indicated he believes Orakpo can make the switch from a defensive end at Texas to an outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense. The Browns need someone to get to the QB, and that is Orakpo's specialty. The thinking for taking him would be to throw Orakpo in the OLB mix with Kamerion Wimbley and Alex Hall, hoping two of those guys can establish themselves.

Alex Hall played fewer than 20 percent of the snaps last season, but he was third on the team with 3.0 sacks in 2008. Only Shaun Rogers (4.5) and Wimbley (4.0) had more. That screams about the need for a pass rusher.

The Browns have spent a lot of time talking to USC coaches as they continue to evaluate the linebackers. I would be stunned if they took Rey Maualuga at No. 5. He is an inside linebacker, and when the Browns signed free agent linebacker Eric Barton to play next to D'Qwell Jackson, it seemed like they'd be interested in a pass rusher when they make their first linebacker selection. I sense they'd love to get Clay Matthews III in the second round. He's the kind of overachieving "football player" that they talk about. He comes from a football family, he plays with passion and also would be very good on special teams. That's also why he may rise into the first round.

Percy Harvin is listed as a wide receiver, but the Florida product is a bit of a running back, a bit of a slot receiver, a special teams guy. Could be wrong, but the Browns already have someone such as Harvin in Joshua Cribbs.

There are several players who interest the Browns, but they are expected to be taken in the 10-25 range. LSU's Tyson Jackson would be an excellent defensive end in the 3-4 as he is especially strong against the run. Missouri's Jeremy Maclin is an intriguing receiver prospect. OSU's Malcolm Jenkins would be ideal in the defensive backfield, as he can play safety or cornerback. He's more than 6-feet tall, and the Browns need a taller cover man. Watch if any of these players slip.

Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench wrote that OSU's cornerbacks do very well in the NFL. He mentioned Shawn Springs, Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements, who have played a combined 30 years and have been solid to excellent starters at some points in their careers. He added that Chris Gamble (20 interceptions in 62 starts) was worthy of his first-round selection by Carolina in 2004. Yet another reason that scouts who dismiss Jenkins for his lack of speed will be surprised by his pro success.

Orakpo2.jpgcalifornia_alex_mack_sm.jpg

Archived