THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on Raji?

VaporTrail

Ok, let me start off by saying I think it's absolutely stupid to trade away a great talent on the team for picks, then to use that pick on that talent's replacement. Examples of this stupidity... Some mocks having us take a TE with the 50 we got for K2. Ignorant. We just picked up a route running TE in Rucker. Trading away Quinn then using it to pick Sanchez. Ignorant. You're just swapping question marks. Trading away Rogers then using a pick on Raji. Ignorant. Don't trade talent for a question mark to fill his shoes.

My question is... How nasty would our line be if Rogers and Raji were next to each other? Our DE play wasn't great last year. In fact I wouldn't even call it good. But what if you have Raji at nose and move Rogers to DE? I think that it would really up Wimbley and Hall's numbers. I realize this is pretty out there. But hell, these two would beat the shit out of an offensive line.

On the flipside, if you run them Raji NT, Rogers DE, how many downs will they actually be out there? That'd be a lot of money for guys that need a bunch of breathers during a game. When Rogers was out of the game, offenses would run it up the gut. What if you had those two on rotation? Could Rogers play DE? Is this something that is worth a look, or too risky?

I guess, would you like to see both of those guys on our DLine this year? If so, how would you utilize them? As for me, it would depend on the level Robaire Smith and Corey Williams play at when they return. If it's what we saw last year outta Williams, then I'd run Raji NT, Rogers DE. If those guys step up, then we'd have a very nasty DLine So whatcha think?

Ok, let me start off by saying I think it's absolutely stupid to trade away a great talent on the team for picks, then to use that pick on that talent's replacement. Examples of this stupidity... Some mocks having us take a TE with the 50 we got for K2. Ignorant. We just picked up a route running TE in Rucker. Trading away Quinn then using it to pick Sanchez. Ignorant. You're just swapping question marks. Trading away Rogers then using a pick on Raji. Ignorant. Don't trade talent for a question mark to fill his shoes.

My question is... How nasty would our line be if Rogers and Raji were next to each other? Our DE play wasn't great last year. In fact I wouldn't even call it good. But what if you have Raji at nose and move Rogers to DE? I think that it would really up Wimbley and Hall's numbers. I realize this is pretty out there. But hell, these two would beat the shit out of an offensive line.

On the flipside, if you run them Raji NT, Rogers DE, how many downs will they actually be out there? That'd be a lot of money for guys that need a bunch of breathers during a game. When Rogers was out of the game, offenses would run it up the gut. What if you had those two on rotation? Could Rogers play DE? Is this something that is worth a look, or too risky?

I guess, would you like to see both of those guys on our DLine this year? If so, how would you utilize them? As for me, it would depend on the level Robaire Smith and Corey Williams play at when they return. If it's what we saw last year outta Williams, then I'd run Raji NT, Rogers DE. If those guys step up, then we'd have a very nasty DLine So whatcha think?

Rogers at the DE spot would scare the shit out of some people

It reminds me of John Facenda saying, "One ton of muscle with a one track mind." Except you'd have to replace muscle with fat and then it loses it's appeal.

I don't know. I don't look at a positive marijuana test as a MAJOR problem, unless it's a chronic issue (pun intended). What other baggage does he bring? What other options do we have at the #5 spot considering the other holes we have to fill?

I haven't given much thought to drafting Raji, except as a passing fancy in a scenario that you mentioned. It's a nice thought. I don't know how viable it really is, but I'm still somewhat torn between Orakpo and Crabtree, and I'm starting to lean towards Crabtree as the draft draws near, but Orakpo is still my guy for now.

-Al

Raji and Mack could solidify both lines for years and can be had in one draft while still addressing other needs.

Absolutely this is a possibility, it's a key to winning the division and both Bmore and Pitt have it covered.

Of course, I thought the same thing when Butchiee took Fat Money.

I don't think Crabtree is that great. He's better than the rest of the receiving class by a bit, but he's not even comparable to Calvin Johnson, imo. 3-4 OLB's are a huge risk, and quality NT's are rarer than LB's. Rather than draft Orakpo, would it be better to get whichever guy slides to 36? It just seems that Raji would be the safest pick.

Guest Aloysius

If you're looking for another Calvin Johnson, you may be waiting for awhile. Dez Bryant and Arrelious Benn may end up going in the top ten next year, but neither one of them is in Megatron's league as a prospect.

According to one report, Raji failed multiple drug tests while at BC. That alone makes him an odd choice for being the safest pick. He's a very good player, especially in a 4-3 defense, but I'm not sure he's the type of character Mangini & Kokinis want to give top five money.

He may be the best player in this draft, but I'm with Alo - I'm not sure I'd give him that money. He's a drug suspension waiting to happen.

Then again, so was Warren Sapp, and he turned out pretty good. The question becomes whether or not you think he's done screwing up, and I don't think you can take that risk with #5 money.

As for tight end, last time I checked you need three tight ends, and we have one ex-rookie who didn't play at all last season, and Robert Royal. That's not exactly going to light the world on fire.

This is a very TE-heavy draft. I'd be sure to get one, and I suspect we will.

I call Bust on Rajii, He is gonna get tossed by the smarter linemen and nfl gameplanning.

BTW Aloysius, I think Dez Bryant will be the next big thing, never have I seen a receiver make catches that crazy since moss, his size, speed, and YAC ability are crazy. He is jacked too.

Asking a young ego like Raji to play in a selfless 3-4 with a dictator environment is almost like asking Vladamir Guererro to put on a squeeze bunt with no outs and a runner on third.

Yeah, it would really suck to play next to Rogers.

Dude's a NT and almost half the teams are running the 3/4 now.

He may be the best player in this draft, but I'm with Alo - I'm not sure I'd give him that money. He's a drug suspension waiting to happen.

Then again, so was Warren Sapp, and he turned out pretty good. The question becomes whether or not you think he's done screwing up, and I don't think you can take that risk with #5 money.

As for tight end, last time I checked you need three tight ends, and we have one ex-rookie who didn't play at all last season, and Robert Royal. That's not exactly going to light the world on fire.

This is a very TE-heavy draft. I'd be sure to get one, and I suspect we will.

Thank you. I don't want to change this to a TE thread but this is exactly what I've been saying. Apparently, everybody thinks a 33 year old Heiden will be just fine after blowing the MCL and ACL, not to mention Rucker is almost more of a slot receiver and not a Dabol type of TE.

I really prefer not to use a draft pick though, I like Alo's idea of snagging some UDFA's.

I think you can put Raji in either front. I think he probably works better when he can penetrate, which no one at the Senior Bowl could stop him from doing.

And go look at his YouTube highlights. No one on Notre Dame, VaTech, or Vandy could either. The guy's a beast. I'd love him on our team. I just don't think you can risk it at that salary level.

If somehow because of trades we end up in the teens, and somehow because of his history he's still there, the calculus would be a bit different.

I'm starting to like a lot of guys in this draft which is completely different from where I was at a week ago.

Orakpo, Raji and Curry are all guys who can make an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball, with Curry being the safest pick.

"Report: Raji Didn’t Test Positive

Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.com reports that per a league source, B.J. Raji’s name did not appear on the list of players who tested positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine.

Florio also reports that per a league source, fewer than 10 players tested positive for marijuana and other prohibited substances at the Scouting Combine."

I may be reading too far into this, but this sounds a bit lawyered to me. "He didn't test positive for marijuana." Well, that's different from saying his drug test came back clear.

Archived