THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns most looking to trade down

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 pm EDT

Survey: Browns looking to move down

By Jason Cole

Three NFL coaches interviewed by Yahoo! Sports during the weekend said they believe the Cleveland Browns are most interested in trading out of the top 10 of the NFL draft, which starts Saturday.

"Every team in the top 10, especially the first seven picks, are at least doing the 'If you're interested, we'll listen' speech,' " one AFC head coach said. "You know what that means, 'Please take our pick.' … [but] Cleveland is the most motivated. That bluff they did two weeks ago when they said they wanted [former USC quarterback Mark] Sanchez, I don't think anybody is buying that for a second.

"But they do want Sanchez [pictured] to fall to them because that's about the only guy anybody wants to trade up for … Cleveland wants more picks because they want to do a complete makeover on the offense and upgrade the defense. Everything is in play with the Browns, Braylon Edwards, their pick, everything."

The scenario involving Sanchez assumes former Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford goes to the Detroit Lions, as many expect, with the No. 1 overall pick. If that happens, then Sanchez becomes an interesting selection for a number of teams, such as the Seattle Seahawks (No. 4), the Jacksonville Jaguars (No. 8); the San Francisco 49ers (No. 10), Washington Redskins (No. 13) and the New York Jets (No. 17). Washington and the Jets reportedly have talked about moving up to get Sanchez.

"That's what [Cleveland coach] Eric [Mangini] is hoping for, that some teams get anxious and goes after Sanchez [if Sanchez isn't picked by Seattle]," an assistant coach said. What all of the coaches agreed on is that there's very little difference between the top dozen or so players, meaning that a team is just as likely to get a good player at 10 as it is as No. 3 or 5.

"They're all about the same, so just sit tight and you'll get a good player and you won't have to overpay," the AFC coach said. "Sure, somebody might move a spot or two to get a specific guy who matches a need, but that's going to be a cheap trade, maybe a third- or fourth-rounder to make the move. There's no reason to go from No. 13 to No. 5 unless it's for a quarterback."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_th...?urn=nfl,157649

Guest Masters
What does this say about the Browns feelings about Crabtree or Orakpo? Not much!

I think it says the same thing about them that the coaches interviewed in the article said. That there's very little difference between the top dozen or so players. It doesn't mean Crabtree, Orakpo, Curry, or others aren't bad. Just that they are not that much better than other guys you could get at the 10-12 pick.

I think it says the same thing about them that the coaches interviewed in the article said. That there's very little difference between the top dozen or so players. It doesn't mean Crabtree, Orakpo, Curry, or others aren't bad. Just that they are not that much better than other guys you could get at the 10-12 pick.

In the end it says any of the players from about #3 on down are not worthy at #5. If they were they wouldn't be wanting to trade down.

I'm sure the Browns want more picks...Who doesn't?....But I also think it's matter of not being completely sold on Crabtree or Orakpo. If they were in love with either of them I don't they'd even be pursuaded by more picks.

If no moves are made it wouldn't shock me to see the Browns surprise some people by drafting a guy people expected to fall between the #8 and #15 spot..Maybe a Jackson or Wells or Maybin or Ayers.

I hope not....But it wouldn't surprise me.

If they move Edwards on or before draft day then I think we'll see Crabtree in Browns uniform.

Guest Masters
In the end it says any of the players from about #3 on down are not worthy at #5.

Well, that they aren't worthy of #5 draft pick money. That's a bit of a different statement.

How good is a bluff when the team with 2 young quarterbacks says "we're REALLY thinking about taking a quarterback"? But what the heck, worth a try.

I agree with Shep. It seems there are always a bunch of teams who want to trade down, and somewhere I've read it rarely happens despite all of the pre-draft chatter about it.

How good is a bluff when the team with 2 young quarterbacks says "we're REALLY thinking about taking a quarterback"? But what the heck, worth a try.

I agree with Shep. It seems there are always a bunch of teams who want to trade down, and somewhere I've read it rarely happens despite all of the pre-draft chatter about it.

Well, if the reports are to be believed at all, Mangini's near complete silence about BQ and DA leaves everyone wondering how he feels about them, which gives the Sanchez talk a little more credibility. Not saying I'm buying it, but new coach could easily mean new QB.

This article doesn't make sense to me. If the Browns want to Sanchez to fall to them so they can dangle him as a bait to other teams to trade down, wouldn't it make more sense to make it clear that they aren't really interested in him? Perhaps I'm missing something but wouldn't a feigned interest in Sanchez only motivate other teams that perceive this interest to be real to jump in front of the Browns?

i am all for this. i love the idea of moving out of the big money picks and getting players picks in exchange for that 5th overall pick. make it happen mankok

I think we are all for this but at this point it wouldnt suprise me if sanchez and crabtree are gone by #5 because their stocks are still rising and may leave curry on the board at #5 who knows?

This article doesn't make sense to me. If the Browns want to Sanchez to fall to them so they can dangle him as a bait to other teams to trade down, wouldn't it make more sense to make it clear that they aren't really interested in him? Perhaps I'm missing something but wouldn't a feigned interest in Sanchez only motivate other teams that perceive this interest to be real to jump in front of the Browns?

You are absolutely right. They would like a team to jump in front of them to insure that Curry falls to them. But, I don't think anybody (except some posters on here) are falling for it. No way Cleveland wants Sanchez, but I don't think they really are sold 100% on Orakpo or Crabtree either.

I believe the Browns have been working every angle to try to get Curry to fall. He's the guy they have wanted from the start.

What's interesting though is that if Curry is gone Sanchez may give them a decent opportunity to trade down. San Fran is said to love him and Washington is looking for a way to trade up for him. The Jets also like him..................so all the rumors go.

San Fran trading up from #10 wouldn't cost them that much. Cleveland would be crazy not to take their #10 and a 3rd rounder. I know it doesn't match up on the value chart but it gets them an extra pick and they most likely can get the same player they could have gotten at #5 and pay him less.

As far as Washington, I'd take their first and 2nd and a 2nd next year. Hell, I'd take pretty much anything to get out of #5 if Curry isn't there.

I dont' think Crabtree is much better then Maclin or Nicks. And, I don't think Orakpo is that much better then English, Jackson or Maybin.

You are absolutely right. They would like a team to jump in front of them to insure that Curry falls to them. But, I don't think anybody (except some posters on here) are falling for it. No way Cleveland wants Sanchez, but I don't think they really are sold 100% on Orakpo or Crabtree either.

He isn't correct.....you are confusing issues.

I may agree we don't really want Sanchez, but Curry is gone.

We are simply trying to make or pick the catbird seat.....to bad Seattle is sitting there. They have both Curry and Sanchez as their possible bargaining chips.

Number 4 is the prime trade target in this draft from several different angles.

but if we DO take Sanchez we could be screwing a lot of teams ..... if a guy with Sanchez's talent is gone then they need to come to us for QB or wait for the next draft and tank their season.

Sanchez is not going to solve any of our problems, but if talents are for real then he will be a good pick for us and we can keep one of BQ or DA and release the other. And we could build the team around Sanchez. we can still get quality players with our remaining draft picks and take a risk on Sanchez @ no5 ... he might be worthy of the no5 pay.

But considering the demand for QB's I think teams either trade up for him ... play a gamble ... talk to us for an exchange or go win less.

I say lets take sanchez if he is the real deal.

IMO, The Browns are NOT in good position for a trade down. ANy team seeking a QB would be best trading with KC at #3. If Sanchez is the guy for Seattle, they will not trade out. Again now if Sanchez is not picked in top 4, then why trade with the Browns? Neither Cincy #6 and Oakland #7 will take a QB but #8 Jacksonville might. So it would be best to trade with either Cincy or the Raiders.

Now if teams are targeting Curry, they will also need to jump Seattle at #4. Seattle will either take Sanchez or Curry.

The only way I see a team trading for our #5 is if they glamor for one of the WR's (Crabtree or Maclin) who the Raiders may snag at #7 or one of the OT that Cincy may grab at #6.

but if we DO take Sanchez we could be screwing a lot of teams ..... if a guy with Sanchez's talent is gone then they need to come to us for QB or wait for the next draft and tank their season.

Sanchez is not going to solve any of our problems, but if talents are for real then he will be a good pick for us and we can keep one of BQ or DA and release the other. And we could build the team around Sanchez. we can still get quality players with our remaining draft picks and take a risk on Sanchez @ no5 ... he might be worthy of the no5 pay.

But considering the demand for QB's I think teams either trade up for him ... play a gamble ... talk to us for an exchange or go win less.

I say lets take sanchez if he is the real deal.

If (and that's not a guarantee) Sanchez is the real deal, he isn't ready to be a NFL QB. If I was sold on Sanchez the only way I could possibably take him is if I cold get multiple picks for Quinn. At least a first and a third. I don't see taking a young QB that needs mentored, especially since we would be giving up a young QB that has already been mentored, if I don't get enough picks in return to fill my needs.

So, if Sanchez is there at #5 the Browns will be lookng for a trading partner unless someone out there is in love with Quinn. I don't think you just trade to trade.

Which is my point the whole time ytown.

I think it's stupid to trade out picks when your trying to rebuild. Why pick one unproven question mark QB and trade another out?

It makes no sense. Just give Quinn the rock this year and see what he can do with it.

I am sure that is what is going to happen.......IF....the Browns staff feels he is going to be a good player and the player to take the team forward.

If they don't feel he is that player.....I doubt they are just going to hand him the ball.

It all depends on where we project these guys 3 years down the road. If they feel Sanchez is going to be the better player, they will sacrifice a few wins this year....and they probably don't have to do that....Anderson is still here...he would QB the team.

I don't care what anybody says, at this point there isn't a 4 game swing between Anderson and Quinn....maybe 1-2 right now, and sorry to tell ya, 1-2 more wins isn't going to be a back breaker unless 7 wins gets us in to the playoffs.

IF Mangini and Kok don't have good vibes for BQ....and IF they feel Sanchez is the guy they want....I hope to heck we draft Sanchez if given the chance, move Quinn for whatever we can get, and then hope and root like mad they got it right.

i am all for this. i love the idea of moving out of the big money picks and getting players picks in exchange for that 5th overall pick. make it happen mankok

I agree! Drafting Sanchez or Crabtree would be a mistake. This team has so many holes they need to fill it would be crazy to think one high draft pick is going to make a difference with this team.

If (and that's not a guarantee) Sanchez is the real deal, he isn't ready to be a NFL QB. If I was sold on Sanchez the only way I could possibably take him is if I cold get multiple picks for Quinn. At least a first and a third. I don't see taking a young QB that needs mentored, especially since we would be giving up a young QB that has already been mentored, if I don't get enough picks in return to fill my needs.

So, if Sanchez is there at #5 the Browns will be lookng for a trading partner unless someone out there is in love with Quinn. I don't think you just trade to trade.

Excellent reply ... agree with all your points since we are rebuilding, but again -> from what the media says: the coach is not sold on either QB and is willing to trade any of them and also is impressed with Sanchez. Based on those "news" i was guessing Sanchez should be a decent pick and also we are bound to get enquries from teams about our QB's as there is a need for QB's that are NFL ready. Meaning we can still offload one QB for picks or other position players. The other thing that makes me lean towards Sanchez is the the top 10 prospects - > Media reports that the top prospects are not that worthy of the high pick and money and a cheaper option almost as good option can be got a round below except for QB position. Only Stafford and Sanchez have QB value.

Archived