THE BROWNS BOARD

undrafted free agents

hammertime

Guest Aloysius

Some of the best sleepers are guys who were overshadowed by superstar college teammates. Here are two sleeper prospects who are good examples of that:

LaRod Stephens-Howling, RB, Pitt

Whenever I watched Pitt play, I found myself more interested in Stephens-Howling than highly-touted LeSean McCoy. Considering how obsessed I am with high character players, that's probably not a shocker, as LaRod's the type of player who's successful because of his incredible grit and determination.

What Howling lacks in size (5'7", 180 lbs.) he makes up with smarts and toughness. He's great at blitz pickup, makes a lot of tackles on specials, and is the type of reliable receiver a QB wants to throw the ball to on third down.

For all of those reasons, he's the type of player coaches love:

"I cannot say enough good things about LaRod Stephens," said Coach Dave Wannstedt. "He made three special team tackles last week. He's covering kickoffs and punts. If ever there was an example of a team player, not getting caught in personal accolades and recognition, it's LaRod Stephens. I love him as a person and a player. He's probably the most underrated player in the Big East."

Stephens-Howling also had an impressive pro day, running a 4.41 40 and putting up 18 reps of 225. Seattle's said to be interested in drafting him; I'd love to see us bring him in as a UDFA if they don't.

Jerome Boyd, OLB-SS, Oregon

When watching the Ducks, I often got pumped up after seeing Chung make an impressive play, only to realize that it wasn't #15 showcasing his skills but #13, Jerome Boyd.

Boyd played outside linebacker at Oregon, but the 6'1", 224 lbs. prospect's athleticism is close to on par with Chung's. At his pro day, Boyd ran a 4.50 40, put up 23 reps of 225, and posted a 35" vertical. His short shuttle (4.25) and 3-cone (7.10) were also good for a guy possibly transitioning to safety in the pro's. He'll need to shed some weight and adjust to playing a new position, but the raw athletic tools are there.

In the end, the main difference between Chung and Boyd could be that Chung will be drafted to play now and may never live up to his second round draft status, whereas Boyd will spend some time on a practice squad or as a special teams player learning the ropes but could eventually turn into an equally effective in the box safety and a great UDFA pickup. There'd be virtually no risk in bringing him in and seeing if a year or two of development yields a pretty handsome reward.

Mike Mitchell Ohio University 6' 221lbs 4.48 pro day and loves to lay the wood.

I thought he'd be a FA but now I think he's going to get drafted and I'd even go after him in the 6th round.

I like this kid so much.

Be sure to watch the film. It's one big stick after another.

Michael.jpg

I thought he'd be a FA but now I think he's going to get drafted and I'd even go after him in the 6th round.

I like this kid so much.

Be sure to watch the film. It's one big stick after another.

NICE VIDEO.

Guest Aloysius

Mitchell's 40 time at his pro day (4.43) got the Raiders' attention, so you know he's going to get overdrafted. nfldraftscout thinks 6th round, but he could easily go higher.

Mitchell's 40 time at his pro day (4.43) got the Raiders' attention, so you know he's going to get overdrafted. nfldraftscout thinks 6th round, but he could easily go higher.

I knew after his 40 time his draft stock would go way up...But I hadn't heard where.

Guest Aloysius

A couple more names:

• - Antoine Holmes, DE-DT, NC State

- Adrian Grady, DT, Louisville

- Mortty Ivy, ILB, West Virginia

- Lendy Holmes, S, Oklahoma

- Rulon Davis, DE, Cal

- Nate Swift, WR, Nebraska

- Dave Philistin, ILB, Maryland (more of a 4-3 guy)

- Desmond Bryant, DE, Harvard (a 2-3 year project)

Great vid, Crow. I know he's not exactly playing top-tier competition & it's a highlight video, but that kid is a damn good tackler, plus he can make you pay over the middle too.

Better than any Rashad Jennings video I've seen. Different position, but similar situation.

Archived