THE BROWNS BOARD

Curry willing to take a #1 discount

We need Tom Tupa

from PFT:

Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry acknowledged that he’s willing to take less money than Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jake Long did last year if the Detroit Lions make him the top overall pick of the draft during an interview with Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL Radio, per the Detroit Free Press.

As the No. 1 overall pick last year, Long signed a five-year, $57.75 million contract last year that included $30 million in guaranteed money.

“I’d me more than happy to accept that deal,” Curry said.

Curry said he has spoken with his agents and said they’re open to striking a pre-draft deal with the Lions.

“If they were to approach us with a deal and it is feasible, my plan is to be in camp, on time and having fun,” Curry said. “… After my visit to Detroit, I felt very comfortable with the coaching staff and the management. And, you know, they made the new changes to the logo which I fell in love with. And they brought in Julian Peterson, who I’ve always been a big fan of. I see myself in that uniform, and I could also see myself playing beside Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson.”

Curry went on to say he has been exchanging text messages with Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew.

“I told him I look forward to talking to him very soon,” Curry said.

I'd surprised if this changes anything, but that would throw one hell of a monkey wrench into the draft.

On a related note, SI (I think Banks), is speculating that Pioli's BB pedigree means that he wont pay a LB #3 money. Curry could go anywhere in the top 10 at this point. He's the safest pick, but how much are people willing to spend on a rookie LB?

Archived