Lions to take Stafford

heckofajobbrownie

Guest Aloysius
You've got to think the Browns are looking at it like this:

1. Stafford

2. Smith or Crabtree

3. Curry or Monroe/Smith

4. Sanchez/Raji/Crabtree/Maclin

5. Hoping for Curry, then choosing between Orapko, Maclin, Raji, Moreno, Jenkins, or some other unforeseen.

There have been some rumblings that St. Louis likes Monroe better than Smith, but I don't think that's likely.

And Tyson Jackon's getting mentioned as another option at #5, but that strikes me as something only a guy with a surface level understanding of what Belichick & Pioli have done would do. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Mangini & Kokinis end up drafting him.

Guest Aloysius

And the guys coming out next year make Jackson look like a scrub. Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy had a Maualuga vs. Illinois-type performance in the BCS championship game. And Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh may be better than him.

Jackson just doesn't make sense, especially when we can afford to wait a year before adding another starting DE.

Here's something:

Source: Lions have a deal with Curry if Stafford doesn't sign soon

Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com reports according to a league source, the Detroit Lions have completed contract terms with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and the team is now waiting to see if it can reach an agreement with their No. 1 target, Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford. The source said the Lions will not allow a decision to go beyond Friday and if a deal isn't done with Stafford by then, the team will sign Curry and take him with the first overall draft pick.

Yeah, but it's a smart kick in the pants. Staford isn't worth the pick if he holds out, period, Hell, I don't even think he is worth the pick,

Curry may very well end up here, no doubt in my mind. There is also no doubt in my mind they don't lay a hand on Tyson Jackson, no way in hell. They've got Williams and Robaire so it is not a position of dire need and he is not close to being the BPA there. I think they like Maclin like I said last week and I think they will never pick him at five barring some shuffling via trade. I'd guess Raji, Orakpo and Jenkins as a possibility, although I want no part of Jenkins at 5.

Thinking I have a clue how these guys think, I would say the other option would be an OT to round out the line and then grab your center in round two. I'm almost positive they have resigned themselves to taking a WR in the late first/second round range. I think they want to build from the inside out and defense, which is probably pretty smart.

I think they like Maclin like I said last week and I think they will never pick him at five barring some shuffling via trade.

Ya know Riff, this wouldn't shock me at all.

If they don't move Edwards and throw Maclin in at a slot a times next to BE....Whoa! I'd hate to defend that.

Whoever the third WR would be opposite of those two on the other side should have a field day with man coverage.

Ya know Riff, this wouldn't shock me at all.

If they don't move Edwards and throw Maclin in at a slot a times next to BE....Whoa! I'd hate to defend that.

Whoever the third WR would be opposite of those two on the other side should have a field day with man coverage.

I will add this here as it pertains to this subject line

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/...aron_curry.html

Source: Lions have Aaron Curry in fold if Matthew Stafford doesn't sign soon

by Tom Kowalski

According to a league source, the Detroit Lions have completed contract terms with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and the team is now waiting to see if it can reach an agreement with their No. 1 target, Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford.

The source said the Lions will not allow a decision to go beyond Friday and if a deal isn't done with Stafford by then, the team will sign Curry and take him with the first overall draft pick.

The source said he believes that Stafford's agent, Tom Condon, will eventually agree to a deal with the Lions but probably won't do it until it gets closer to the Friday deadline.

The price of the contract can only go up in the final hours so Condon likely will push the issue as far as he feels he has something to gain.

The Lions, according to the source, aren't budging and are just waiting to see if Stafford accepts their deal before they move to Curry. The Lions have been adamant that they want to get their draft pick signed before the draft starts at 4 p.m. Saturday.

And the guys coming out next year make Jackson look like a scrub. Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy had a Maualuga vs. Illinois-type performance in the BCS championship game. And Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh may be better than him.

Jackson just doesn't make sense, especially when we can afford to wait a year before adding another starting DE.

Amen to this....We could see as many as 12 to 14 DE's and DT's taken in the first round next year. The draft is loaded with them. (A few of those DE's will be 3-4 OLB's)

McCoy is a top ten pick. The guy I love if he leaves early is the Marsh kid from Florida. He's a physical freak and a perfect 3-4 DT.

It makes your choice of Orakpo this year all the more likely and sensible. It also makes the choice of Raji highly unlikely.

Archived